Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547019 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6990 on: November 29, 2015, 08:38:39 pm »

Well, we can go off the actuall Bureau of Labor statistics and reports like the ones I linked. I made specific assertions, which you slammed as bullshit. I then backed that up with reputable sources, and now you've gone full troll rather than acknowledge the data I provided.

My original and only assertion: The Paycheck Fairness Act will have no effect, because it's targeting a portion of the raw pay gap that is miniscule (the unexplained let's call it 6%), and only the portion of that 6% that could be explained by deliberate employer sex discrimination. You'd be lucky to get a fraction of a percent improvement from that law.

And then, from your evidence merely telling women "why don't you wait 1 extra year before having your first child?" adds 9% to their raw wage. Which is perhaps 20 times the size of the effect you'd expect from the Paycheck Fairness Act.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:44:07 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: November 29, 2015, 08:43:56 pm »

Look I tried to explain in the "math" post.  Sorry I dont know what else to do.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: November 29, 2015, 08:44:52 pm »

What is your specific defence of the Paycheck Fairness Act then? Nothing in that post had any connection to it.

"Sound like a nice thing" is not a defence. "There's a raw wage gap" is not a defence either because myriad factors can be shown to be orders of magnitude greater than direct employer discrimination.

Look, the "1 year difference" first baby thing accounts for almost half the raw pay gap between genders. And I doubt any employer actually gives two shits whether any specific woman had a baby this year or next.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:49:18 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: November 29, 2015, 08:57:01 pm »

What is your specific defence of the Paycheck Fairness Act then? Nothing in that post had any connection to it.

If: Bj < aj + uj
Then: Bj = aj + uj - cj where cj>0

So we reduce cj and we get a more efficient market, i.e. one with less discrimination.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: November 29, 2015, 08:57:21 pm »

Look I tried to explain in the "math" post.  Sorry I dont know what else to do.

Respond to the point?

Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: November 29, 2015, 08:58:36 pm »

Respond to the point?

You mean by like exactly defining my arguments and assumptions?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: November 29, 2015, 08:59:48 pm »

If: Bj < aj + uj
Then: Bj = aj + uj - cj where cj>0

So we reduce cj and we get a more efficient market, i.e. one with less discrimination.
]
Entirely circular logic, and the massive improvements from tangetial things kind of prove that direct discrimination is not an area you're going to get a large amounts of market efficiency improvements.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: November 29, 2015, 09:00:50 pm »

Entirely circular logic,

No, just a basic understanding of the terminology of the paper you provided.

edit well terminology is the wrong word.  They said "unexplained" when they meant "residual"  so it's more "implied terminology".
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:02:32 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: November 29, 2015, 09:04:02 pm »

www.nber.org/papers/w11240.pdf?new_window=1
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/10/01/the-gender-pay-gap-is-the-result-of-being-a-parent-not-discrimination/

Table 9 (last column) further highlights the relative importance of family responsibilities versus labor market discrimination by examining the gender gap among men and women in apparently similar lifetime family situations—namely men and women who were never married and never had a child. In this case, the unadjusted gender gap is actually positive—women earn about 8% more than their male counterparts.

This sort of underlines some of the assumptions we make when talking about this, and that those assumptions can sometimes be wrong. Never-married / no-kids women outearn never-married / no-kids men. But never-married women tend to have slightly higher education than never-married men. When that is adjusted for, the gender gap becomes so small as to be statistically insignificant. So when we compare "single, no kids" people you don't even get the 5% residual. Since the "unexplained" amount just went away, I'd say it is actually pretty well explained as collateral damage from the family situation rather than employers being dicks (or, they are only dicks to married women for some unknown reason).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:14:52 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: November 29, 2015, 09:17:26 pm »

Generally one responds to a working paper with a meta analysis, not the other way around.  ::)

Yeah, I admit I dont even give a shit at this point.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: November 29, 2015, 10:05:12 pm »

Spoiler: long maniac math quote (click to show/hide)

How did you come up with all that? What's it based on? What are D1, sexism_field, a1, u1, etc? Why isn't "sexism_field" discrimination but "a1" and "u1" are? etc.

In other news, John Kasich has released an ad which paraphrases the "First they came for the..." quote by Martin Niemöller:
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/campaign-ads/john-kasich-donald-trump-nazi-germany
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCQhBYEMRQI
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: November 29, 2015, 11:02:40 pm »

How did you come up with all that? What's it based on? What are D1, sexism_field, a1, u1, etc? Why isn't "sexism_field" discrimination but "a1" and "u1" are? etc.

a1 and u1 aren't discrimination.  sexism_field is.  a1 and u1 are the components of how experience matters after you account for how sexism affects your ability to raise your wage through experience.

Eh, I dont really know how to explain this but the best I can say is that the a terms are personal effects (besides the variables accounted for), B terms are the effects of the variables examined and the u terms are the "unexplained" things about the person.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:07:22 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: November 29, 2015, 11:08:00 pm »

You should probably use something you can thoroughly explain. If you can't explain it, you probably don't understand it, and that makes any conclusion you draw from it invalid. What you're doing is fitting the data into your answers via obfuscation and the logical fallacy of appealing to emotion. which is highly intellectually dishonest, and not the way data works. We aren't dumb people here, and it takes a very convincing, well thought out argument to win if you're going to debate on B12.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: November 29, 2015, 11:10:08 pm »

It makes some sense, but we need names to terms.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: November 29, 2015, 11:36:48 pm »

We aren't dumb people here
speak for yourself, bub
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 1342