Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548789 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4770 on: October 02, 2015, 09:34:05 am »

looks like people are finally catching on to not plastering the gunman name everywhere.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/02/445246613/never-utter-his-name-official-says-of-gunman-in-oregon-shooting

Yeah, this'd be great if the article didn't go 'The Sheriff challenged everyone not to speak the gunman's name ... The gunman, [gunman's name] ...'.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: October 02, 2015, 09:49:21 am »

Nah. NRA conventions have watertight security with full-body check-ups, metal detectors, and bomb dogs.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.
Though if the government started requiring that everywhere, those same goddamn assmunches would be screaming about their liberties being revoked by an oppressive police state.
"We don't need all this! That's why I carry a gun to protect myself!"

EDIT: I always find it telling that in all the states that have wide-open concealed carry laws, the same legislators that pass those always make sure to exempt the state legislature offices from that same law.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:51:01 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: October 02, 2015, 10:20:22 am »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/politics/donald-trump-ucc-shooting-mccarthy-gop/index.html (I don't know why the link name has McCarthy in it, theres nothing about him in there)

Trump seems to have given up all thought of trying to deal with it, or perhaps simply doesn't want to alienate his base, who are probably largely pro-gun. There should have been a question asking "But Mr Trump, if it happens again and again and again and again during your presidency, what would you say to those who clamor to get something done about it?"

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: October 02, 2015, 10:21:59 am »

dear god trump actually has a point.

lord have mercy.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: October 02, 2015, 10:27:29 am »

While it's true that people do slip through the cracks, other countries don't have this level of violence, which means that something CAN be done about it and that there is SOMETHING wrong with our system, different culture and second amendment aside.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:29:15 am by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: October 02, 2015, 10:52:46 am »

We should put the flag at half staff for the Europol thread.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:36:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: October 02, 2015, 10:58:24 am »

Eh, we've endured Russia, we've endured Greece - we will prevail. You just wait and see.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: October 02, 2015, 11:04:33 am »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/politics/donald-trump-ucc-shooting-mccarthy-gop/index.html (I don't know why the link name has McCarthy in it, theres nothing about him in there)

Trump seems to have given up all thought of trying to deal with it, or perhaps simply doesn't want to alienate his base, who are probably largely pro-gun. There should have been a question asking "But Mr Trump, if it happens again and again and again and again during your presidency, what would you say to those who clamor to get something done about it?"
Yeah, but I can't help but notice that only white people get to be "crazy loners".

If the shooter is Muslim/Arabic, it's obviously terrorism and we need stronger anti-terror laws.
If the shooter is black, it's obviously because blacks are violent and hey, maybe those #BlackLivesMatter folks incited this and we need stronger policing.
If it's a white guy (even a racist white guy steeped in conservative hyper-rhetoric), it's "Ehh, some people are just crazy, whaddya gonna do?" and absolutely nope, we do NOT need more laws. If anything we need LESS laws and more guns. Because guns everywhere are so safe -- that's why places like Afghanistan and Iraq are enjoying such peace and prosperity.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:06:13 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: October 02, 2015, 11:21:19 am »

Yeah, but I can't help but notice that only white people get to be "crazy loners".

If the shooter is Muslim/Arabic, it's obviously terrorism and we need stronger anti-terror laws.
If the shooter is black, it's obviously because blacks are violent and hey, maybe those #BlackLivesMatter folks incited this and we need stronger policing.
If it's a white guy (even a racist white guy steeped in conservative hyper-rhetoric), it's "Ehh, some people are just crazy, whaddya gonna do?" and absolutely nope, we do NOT need more laws. If anything we need LESS laws and more guns. Because guns everywhere are so safe -- that's why places like Afghanistan and Iraq are enjoying such peace and prosperity.

On that conservative rhetoric of 'moar gunz', yeah, I feel like there needs to be a situation where there are lots of guns and everybody is well trained (so that they can't spin it as not) and having 'moar gunz' didn't solve the problem just so it can be proven to them, but that kind of scenario is never going to happen.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: October 02, 2015, 12:03:52 pm »

... if by "never going to happen" you mean "has happened repeatedly", I guess? We've had plenty of mass shootings on military bases or near/at police stations and whatnot, and plenty of armed and trained individuals shot and killed. Doesn't budge the rhetoric one bit. Often even reinforces it, because clearly there weren't enough guns in the hands of enough people trained and ready to use them, otherwise it would have happened like the rhetoric insists it would, reality be damned.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:06:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: October 02, 2015, 12:15:51 pm »

But even if we could establish such criteria, the question of implementation would remain: Who gets to decide that they're met, that military action is justified or necessary?

I don't believe anyone is truly in a position to comprehend the millions of lives effected by military action, even on an abstracted level, with enough clarity to justify this level of responsibility in any situation, except unusually clear-cut cases as I mentioned before.

This is why I'm an anarchist.  I cannot engage the line of questioning beyond this point, because I don't think there's any acceptable answer.  Conceding ideology to reality can only go so far until you're completely betraying yourself.  Given a concrete situation, I can lay out preferences for how I would like that situation to develop, but if asked who I think should have that kind of power in a hypothetical vacuum, my answer can only be no-one.
Now see, this is why I'm not. I say conceding reality to ideology can only go so far until your actions and beliefs become useless virtuals and hypotheticals that aren't worth the limited time I have on this Earth considering. Blood and flesh, pain and pleasure: these are the things that drive me. They cut, they sting, and they are oh-so-real. And decisions made by me and others can fundamentally affect this calculus. And if I believe that someone - for whatever reason, in whatever way: good or bad, noble or base, rational or irrational, intentional or accidental - can change this equation, alter the course of events, and manipulate the variables of my life and the lives of others, my only answer is to engage with what is.

I've re-read this several times, slept on it and read it again.  I have to say I don't get it.  Here's the best interpretation I can come up with.

"I don't care about details like outcomes, motives, justifications, etc.  I just think people should do things because they can."

I'm sure that's a horrible interpretation.

Or maybe your statement is meant as nothing more than a stab at the practice of naval-gazing itself.  But on that I would disagree... it's easy to say that abstract hypotheticals don't matter in the face of reality, but the less time a person takes to process those and figure out what principles really make sense to them, the less equipped they are to sensibly deal with complicated realities. 

It's like math.  People have to work with each other on some level to form a functioning society.  If they can't find common ground on the ethical equivalent of basic arithmetic, then how the hell are things supposed to work out when faced with a reality that is the ethical equivalent of quantum physics?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4781 on: October 02, 2015, 01:48:45 pm »

But even if we could establish such criteria, the question of implementation would remain: Who gets to decide that they're met, that military action is justified or necessary?

I don't believe anyone is truly in a position to comprehend the millions of lives effected by military action, even on an abstracted level, with enough clarity to justify this level of responsibility in any situation, except unusually clear-cut cases as I mentioned before.

This is why I'm an anarchist.  I cannot engage the line of questioning beyond this point, because I don't think there's any acceptable answer.  Conceding ideology to reality can only go so far until you're completely betraying yourself.  Given a concrete situation, I can lay out preferences for how I would like that situation to develop, but if asked who I think should have that kind of power in a hypothetical vacuum, my answer can only be no-one.

People will always take power. It's better for society to put a partially flawed system in place by agreement of the living and present than to allow those who have the most coercive strength to rule.

Anarchy is naivete.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: October 02, 2015, 03:02:44 pm »

Anarchy is naivete.

If the answers were simple we would have implemented them long ago.  The most successful systems are not coincidentally the ones that were debated heavily before after and during.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: October 02, 2015, 03:05:13 pm »

Think you mean more "easy and cheap" than simple. Many answers are fairly simple (or at the absolute least not terribly complex), they're just effort intensive and/or expensive.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: October 02, 2015, 04:11:06 pm »

True, if we can just assume a can opener of lavish funding, many problems are easy to solve.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1342