Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545618 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump's Narcissism Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #3630 on: August 18, 2015, 03:15:07 pm »

then go replace putin or somethin'.
If his marriages are any indication, Trump leaving the US after a few years to become the President of a younger, hotter and preferably Eastern European country is the most likely outcome, once he realizes the country is more wrinkly than it used to be and doesn't really get him anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: August 18, 2015, 03:45:35 pm »

One of the Balkan states maybe?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: August 18, 2015, 04:02:07 pm »

One of the Balkan states maybe?
Dunno, he's probably going to have a casting show to decide that.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: August 18, 2015, 04:13:37 pm »

I wonder if its technically illegal for the president to leave and become president of another country...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: August 18, 2015, 04:22:11 pm »

I'm fairly sure it would be if they held the positions concurrently (barring some kind of conquest type dealio, anyway), but there shouldn't be a problem if they stepped down and then jumped ship. Similarly, I'm relatively sure there's nothing strictly unconstitutional if a person, otherwise able to qualify for presidency, that had held highest office in another country, was elected to be POTUS.

It just, y'know, almost certainly wouldn't actually happen.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: August 18, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »

I wonder if its technically illegal for the president to leave and become president of another country...
Well, if there are irreconcilable differences... (Actually it probably depends on whether countries have laws that require the president to be born there, like the US. I don't imagine it's explicitely forbidden because it's probably quite rare.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:29:10 pm by XXSockXX »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: August 18, 2015, 04:27:42 pm »

Vote Putin for POTUS 2020

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: August 18, 2015, 04:34:07 pm »

Yeah I don't think most countries have that weird law. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: August 18, 2015, 04:39:58 pm »

Well, if there are irreconcilable differences... (Actually it probably depends on whether countries have laws that require the president to be born there, like the US. I don't imagine it's explicitely forbidden because it's probably quite rare.)
Despite what some crazies the last election cycle or two have been saying, you don't actually have to be born in the US to be a natural born US citizen and qualify for the presidency. Add on the possibility of dual-citizenship, and you could probably get something interesting rolling.
Ask not!
Ask!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: August 18, 2015, 05:17:35 pm »

Yeah, I don't think there's any law explicitly forbidding it, so it'd be fine under the Air Bud clause. However, between the fact that no citizen of the US can hold a title of nobility, the natural-born requirement, and the difficulty of winning just one election (and running the thing afterward), it's probably not likely to happen.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: August 18, 2015, 05:31:24 pm »

no citizen of the US can hold a title of nobility
What? A title of nobility is just a couple words stuck to your name, right? Seems strange to forbid that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: August 18, 2015, 05:32:39 pm »

Nah, that's in Germany, in Belgium at least title of nobility have an existence apart from your name.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: August 18, 2015, 05:36:58 pm »

So what additional impact do they have?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: August 18, 2015, 05:44:58 pm »

Officially nothing (you can get them written on your idea though), but there are a bunch of noble-only clubs and meeting and stuff.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: August 18, 2015, 05:48:40 pm »

Problem's generally about conflict of interest, at least insofar as the initial formulation went. Nobility (well, real nobility, anyway) generally has/had, y'know, substantial ties to places that aren't the US. Also tends/tended to come with some kind of oath of allegiance to whatever grants that nobility its title, which... should make the problem kinda' obvious.

Could make the argument that titles of nobility have watered down in the intervening years (and they have), but one can still see how they could be a problem.

Personally, nowadays, I wouldn't mind seeing it extend to general land/business ownership outside the country. Same general concept, that the president shouldn't have notable incentive to be doing something that benefits some other country more than the US, for reasons of personal betterment or conflicting allegiance.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 1342