Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1551874 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2460 on: June 24, 2015, 11:04:49 pm »

Well, the bright side of hillary vs. jeb would be you could probably vote for someone else comfortable in the knowledge you're not actually running the risk of changing the results.

The down side is that jeb would actually be on the ticket. Hillary's got her problems, but there's not much else I've noticed that quite embodies "lukewarm conservative incompetence" like jeb does, ruinous public policy and all. Lived through years of that guy as a state governor. Those were not good years.

Still. H v J come 2016, burn down the local polling stations, vote third party. Or sanders or somethin'. It's a plan.

Maybe it's just because I'm from Ohio, but I still think John Kasich doesn't get the credit he deserves. He balanced Ohio's budget and brought it to a surplus without raising taxes, a major talking point for any politician. His plan to tie budget to performance in schools was less successful, but he still ended up increasing education funding. He's had some success in criminal justice reform as well, but a very mixed sort of success. I don't think I'd vote for him because of his apparent hatred for collective bargaining alone, but if it had to be a Republican, I think I'd choose him. If I remember right he's also one of a relatively small number of people who can say that they rode the Tea Party wave, then jumped ship when things got a little too crazy.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: June 24, 2015, 11:19:12 pm »

@RedKing: Yeah, Scott Walker has to get his ass in gear.

I have a feeling that the first debate will at least start thinning out the crowd. Then again, we'll have to slog through the problem of 'too many choices and can't decide' syndrome.

The first debate is in August I think? Or September maybe.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: June 24, 2015, 11:20:42 pm »

Got a good chuckle out of this...

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: June 24, 2015, 11:50:27 pm »

Well, the bright side of hillary vs. jeb would be you could probably vote for someone else comfortable in the knowledge you're not actually running the risk of changing the results.

Yup!  Just like in 2000!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: June 25, 2015, 12:13:51 am »

Yup!  Just like in 2000!
Oh gawd....here we go with the "Blame Ralph Nader for Al Gore being about as charismatic as a wet towel" routine...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: June 25, 2015, 12:16:42 am »

Maybe he just meant the "popular vote doesn't actually matter" angle.  But he probably meant the Nader one, yeah.

I feel more comfortable blaming Pat Buchanan instead, because people only voted for him by mistake, but it was still enough to matter.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: June 25, 2015, 12:38:54 am »

The down side is that jeb would actually be on the ticket. Hillary's got her problems, but there's not much else I've noticed that quite embodies "lukewarm conservative incompetence" like jeb does, ruinous public policy and all. Lived through years of that guy as a state governor. Those were not good years.

Still. H v J come 2016, burn down the local polling stations, vote third party. Or sanders or somethin'. It's a plan.

Maybe it's just because I'm from Ohio, but I still think John Kasich doesn't get the credit he deserves. He balanced Ohio's budget and brought it to a surplus without raising taxes, a major talking point for any politician. His plan to tie budget to performance in schools was less successful, but he still ended up increasing education funding. He's had some success in criminal justice reform as well, but a very mixed sort of success. I don't think I'd vote for him because of his apparent hatred for collective bargaining alone, but if it had to be a Republican, I think I'd choose him. If I remember right he's also one of a relatively small number of people who can say that they rode the Tea Party wave, then jumped ship when things got a little too crazy.
Are you serious? Kasich's one of the slimiest and most destructive governors in Ohio's history - under his regime library budgets have plummeted, worker's rights have been stripped away to 1950s levels, and city taxes have skyrocketed because he's looked for any excuse to strip state money away. If I ever meet him face to face, I'm going to beat the shit out of him, no matter the consequences.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: June 25, 2015, 12:45:42 am »

Yeah. Generally "balanced the budget without raising taxes" means "slashed a bunch of essential stuff"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: June 25, 2015, 02:18:01 am »

Is that the speed of it? I guess that's what I get for not looking any closer at this person than his own campaign page, and what his supporters wrote on his wikipedia entry. Which, now that I type it out, should have been so incredibly obvious that I feel more than a little embarrassed because of it. It seems there's no non-shitty Republican candidate after all...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: June 25, 2015, 04:40:08 am »

So in non-american American news, the media over here is still heaping attention on Clinton. None of the other democratic runners gets barely a mention to the point where I didn't even recognise a single name except of course Mr Vice President who apparently isn't even official yet. Republicans also get tiny amounts of focus in relation. A reportage the other weektried to paint Bush as a centrist or even left-leaning republican, which is quite the opposite of the impression I've gotten here (but maybe it's also in relation to his runner company). Together the Bushs and Clintons make for a lot of asides about the "American monarchy" and "political nobility".

There's also not enough attention going to Trump and how ridiculous he is, and that makes me the saddest.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: June 25, 2015, 08:13:27 am »

Maybe he just meant the "popular vote doesn't actually matter" angle.  But he probably meant the Nader one, yeah.

I feel more comfortable blaming Pat Buchanan instead, because people only voted for him by mistake, but it was still enough to matter.

I thought he meant Florida with those 'chads'.

And yeah, there's Ralph Nader managing to grab Oregon.

So in non-american American news, the media over here is still heaping attention on Clinton. None of the other democratic runners gets barely a mention to the point where I didn't even recognise a single name except of course Mr Vice President who apparently isn't even official yet. Republicans also get tiny amounts of focus in relation. A reportage the other weektried to paint Bush as a centrist or even left-leaning republican, which is quite the opposite of the impression I've gotten here (but maybe it's also in relation to his runner company). Together the Bushs and Clintons make for a lot of asides about the "American monarchy" and "political nobility".

There's also not enough attention going to Trump and how ridiculous he is, and that makes me the saddest.

Biden is barely even campaigning at all.

Anyways, those asides are yet another reason to not vote for either one I guess.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:12:47 am by smjjames »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:32:15 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: June 25, 2015, 10:15:37 am »

SCOTUS has ruled Obamacare's health insurance subsidies are legal.

Given the court's past decisions on the law, I was expecting it to turn this way.  The court has a lot of power invested in it to interpret Congressional intention, and this was a very clear case of some hawkeyed laywer hunting for an ambiguously worded clause - literally just four words - to try to reverse the entire purpose of the market-management system.

By far the best thing about this decision though was John Roberts joining the majority opinion.  Mostly because it helps take the wind out of the sails of the Court being politically motivated by it's membership (no matter how much Sam Alito says it is when he's in the dissent).  I remember ten years ago when Bush appointed him, I thought, "This man's single largest qualification to the President is looking like the father from Leave It To Beaver".  He has consistently proven me wrong in being a remarkably thoughtful judge of political authority and intention, even when he's delivered decisions I didn't agree with.  Naturally, I found a post of mine from the last time this happened saying the same thing.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: June 25, 2015, 10:56:23 am »

His quote about the court's purpose not being to save the people from their own decisions is one that a lot of people would do well to remember, yeah. I remember that when the Hobby Lobby opinion came out, my Facebook feed was filled with people being outraged that the Supreme Court was attacking women's rights. Certainly, it's better for people to have contraception coverage that for people not to have contraception coverage. But it's not SCOTUS's job to change a law just because the consequences are undesirable, and there was almost no criticism of the actual legal reasoning behind the decision (which seemed pretty solid to me).

Increasingly, people seem to want to treat SCOTUS as a "second Congress" that picks up the pieces from Congress's dysfunction, and that's not a good way to look at the Court.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: June 25, 2015, 11:05:51 am »

Increasingly, people seem to want to treat SCOTUS as a "second Congress" that picks up the pieces from Congress's dysfunction, and that's not a good way to look at the Court.

To be fair, that was kinda how the Civil Rights movement finally gained traction, from Earl Warren basically saying, if Congress isn't going to set things right here, then we'll just do it ourselves.  Although I suppose that was mostly founded on the Warren court forcing state governments to act on the letter of bullshit laws and holding "separate but equal" as a real legal standard for the first time, which quickly proved how untenable it was.

Anyway.

I agree that the best compliment I can give Roberts is that he refuses to bow to people's expectations for the Court to function as a proactive branch of the government.  That an undercurrent like that has even gotten as strong as it is says volumes about how important his job is.  People left, right, and center have lost so much faith in their elected officials (well, the other guy's elected officials) to actually make useful decisions for themselves that we want to entrust legislative power to a panel of unelected "deliberation experts".  Hugo Gernsback would be proud.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 1342