Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1551572 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2295 on: June 18, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »

Could have something to do with money and the power to sway public opinion that comes with having a hell of a lot of money to burn.
I mean, that's kind of Trump's entire election strategy. I can't wait to see Trump-funded attack ads against his Republican opponents being blasted non-stop into Iowa and New Hampshire media markets. And then, if he manages to hang on long enough, into EVERY media market.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 19, 2015, 09:53:01 am »

Sorry for the double post, but hey...we should probably talk about what happened in Charleston yesterday. Because it's certainly going to be part of the political debate. Now whether it's going to go down the gun control track or the racial tension track still remains to be seen. But just.....DAMN. :(

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: June 19, 2015, 10:03:48 am »

I could see it going down the gun control track, but how do you gun control that without infringing on personal rights and free speech or even private info like who your friends are or what your relatives beliefs are? He got the gun from his dad for his birthday (and then used it very soon after).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: June 19, 2015, 10:15:20 am »

Yeah, I dunno. Obama briefly touched on the easy availability of guns in his remarks yesterday, but didn't hammer the point. I think Jon Stewart nailed it last night when he pointed out that if this had been an ISIS terrorist attack, we'd be bombing the fuck out of several countries (more than we already are) and people would be clamoring for us to send tens of thousands of troops into harm's way "to keep America safe". But when its an American shooter doing it for reasons that are just as terroristic and political, people shrug and just say "Meh, can't stop crazy people."

Stewart also said that absolutely nothing is going to change from this, because it's just who we are as a nation. And I agree 100%. After Newtown, I thought we might actually have some real change. We didn't. If a whole room of affluent white kids getting gunned down couldn't spur our lazy, selfish asses into action, then I hate to be blunt but nine black people in South Carolina sure as hell ain't gonna fire people up enough either.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: June 19, 2015, 10:20:41 am »

Here's the guy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
also a senator of South Carolina, Clementa Pinckney, was killed in the shooting (he is was apparently the reverend)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: June 19, 2015, 01:18:17 pm »

Here's the guy
also a senator of South Carolina, Clementa Pinckney, was killed in the shooting (he is was apparently the reverend)

Do you use past tense because he was the former reverend, or because he died and thus is no longer the reverend?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: June 19, 2015, 01:19:37 pm »

Do you use past tense because he was the former reverend, or because he died and thus is no longer the reverend?

The latter, he was still an active reverend at the time.

Also just to be clear he was a Senator in the South Carolina state congress, not federal.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:21:30 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: June 19, 2015, 01:23:35 pm »

Appointing an AI to office seems like the ultimate solution to me.

Why not just use a Magic 8-Ball
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:25:14 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: June 19, 2015, 01:32:13 pm »

And in case you weren't aware, acorn-head there is wearing patches for Rhodesia and South Africa on that oh-so-edgy windbreaker.

Even Stormfront -- the Reddit for unabashed white supremacists -- is trying to distance themselves from this guy. Though in their own, socially inept way.

And in related asshattery, an NRA board member blamed the slain pastor for the deaths, because he had voted against concealed-carry as an SC legislator. Those comments were quickly taken down, and the NRA has said the board member was not speaking as an NRA official but just a personal opinion.

Personally, I'm still amazed at the lack of a filter so many people have between their twisted brains and their mouths that they need to be punched in.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: June 19, 2015, 01:44:59 pm »

I heard that he got the gun he used for his birthday. How redneck is that
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: June 19, 2015, 02:01:17 pm »

I heard that he got the gun he used for his birthday. How redneck is that
Old fashioned, thinking. 
Kinda like a coming of age thing, where you give the youngun a car when they can get their learner's permit.  Except lot cheaper and not realizing they got a huge grudge or something.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: June 19, 2015, 02:17:30 pm »

I rarely feel anything towards mass shootings anymore. Every two to three months, it's just a routine now. Good for the news companies, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: June 19, 2015, 02:25:01 pm »

@MSH: I wish I could say the same. Years of working with the ATF and knowing about these things before they ever hit the news (and frequently, the smaller ones don't hit national news at all) has left me with a bit of PTSD when it comes to mass shootings.

Mike Huckabee and FOX News are already echoing the "If only those church-goers had been armed...." argument. I think they misunderstand those scenes in a movie where a guy draws a gun on someone and says "Say your prayers..." >_<

I think I have outrage fatigue on this issue, though. I've just given up. Because the pundits and the apologists will be along shortly to obfuscate and say, "Well now, this was just an isolated incident...a lone wolf...we shouldn't overreact...cars kill more people than guns..." etc etc ET FUCKING CETERA. And the country will buy it or lose focus because shiny things and loud noises, and NOTHING. WILL. CHANGE.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: June 19, 2015, 02:29:02 pm »

Apparently, the South Carolina state legislature is still keeping the Confederate flag at full mast when every other flag in the city is at half mast.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: June 19, 2015, 02:30:02 pm »

Why not? Always a good day in the Confederacy when them uppity coloreds are put in their place.

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 1342