Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550758 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2070 on: June 03, 2015, 01:48:40 pm »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:20:27 pm by penguinofhonor »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: June 03, 2015, 02:10:06 pm »

It's not black culture that's bad, it's the parts of it that aren't white culture that are bad.

For example, white people eat fried chicken too! Fried chicken is great! Some of my best friends are fried chickens!

<_<

>_>

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: June 03, 2015, 02:11:42 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: June 03, 2015, 03:14:40 pm »

My favorite quote I hear regularly from my Texan customers:

"I don't hate black people. I just hate n*****s."

RRrrrrrrriiiiiigggggggggghhhhhhhttttttttt.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: June 03, 2015, 03:32:56 pm »

does anyone not hate naggers

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: June 03, 2015, 09:29:39 pm »

Let us speak about the election, briefly. Has anyone noticed recently how many Republican candidates we have now? I mean, really? Lindsey Graham, best known for being an incarnation of John McCain, jumped in on Monday. Pataki is, as you know, in now. And I believe Rick Perry is also running (I don't know when that happened). At this point I may as well announce my candidacy, get my own micro-constituency, and get a job on Fox News. It's not like you need to have a shot at winning to run, apparently.

Even the front-runners are sidelined. Donors and activists don't know what to do. All the damn candidates, and their absurd number of increasingly small niches (Carly Fiorina has a lock on constantly, endlessly attacking Hillary Clinton for everything she does and doesn't do, for example; Walker hates Unions, Rand Paul is the Ron Paul dynasty, while Lindsey Graham is gunning to be the anti-Paul). Texas is divided, Florida is split right down the middle. Santorum and Huckabee duel to the death for control of the evangelical faction (with Ted Cruz floating around the edge of the duel, looking to cut in), while the moderates are scrambling for Hampshire.

I can't even guess what is going to happen at this point. Fox News has taken over the debates (well, they were actually given control of them after the shitshow two years ago), and they plan to have ten debaters, as decided by polls. Who do you guys think will be in the top 10?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: June 03, 2015, 10:52:05 pm »

WAAAAAIIIIITTTTT....., Fox News is doing the debates??? The same guys as Faux News????? I suppose if they're doing the republican only debates, fine, thats their people, but I'm not really expecting a constructive and informational debate from them. I'll still watch the debate of course to see what they say.

As for the number of candidates, yes I've noticed that the number of candidates has ballooned, it was the same situation in 2008 and 2012. The number of Democratic candidates is growing though.

Also, 'the shitshow two years ago'? I think you mean three? Not sure what shitshow you mean, and CNN does fine with their debates.

According to Wikipedia, there are 9 candidates, with three more scheduled to announce (Rick Perry is announcing tomorrow), the second is Bobby Jindal, and I'll give you three guesses as to the third:

Donald Trump, business magnate and television personality from New York; announcement expected on June 16[64]

I was like 'the fuck???' when I saw that because he's already made a mockery of the whole proccess once.

Anyways, yeah, with so many candidates around, there's hardly any room to go anywhere because the pie is so thinly sliced.

Also, I thought Jeb Bush announced his candidacy? and Scott Walker is kind of doing an official unofficial candidacy or something.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:09:10 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: June 04, 2015, 11:38:29 am »

Fox news did a debate last time too.  It's not like you need to be Isildurs' heir to qualify, you just need to be important enough that the candidates dont want to miss out.  And for republican primaries fox certainly fits the bill.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: June 04, 2015, 11:42:49 am »

Candidates don't officially announce their candidacy immediately because being a candidate changes the fundraising rules. There is no cap on fundraising while you're just 'testing the waters.' Once you officially declare your candidacy, you are held to a different set of fundraising rules.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: June 04, 2015, 11:33:22 pm »

That's actually becoming a sore point for some people. Jeb Bush has been "testing the waters" for months now, all the while doing $25,000-a-seat fundraising dinners and giving stump speeches.

Everyone watching has basically called bullshit, except for the FEC, who really should be calling bullshit. Maybe this will spur some action to put a maximum limit on the amount of time one can "test the waters" before having to declare or return all that money.

Of course, I think they get around the latter by claiming that they're not raising money for campaigning, they're raising donations to their PAC, which is just looking to improve America (by drafting them to run for President).

The whole damn campaign system has become such a mockery.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: June 04, 2015, 11:45:56 pm »

-SNIP-
I know you can't see this right now, but this is me downloading a copy of Citizens United so that I can print it out and burn it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 05, 2015, 10:09:58 am »

See, now the fine art of campaign strategy is going to be declaring late enough that you can milk the unrestricted "exploratory" phase, but early enough to gain name recognition so that you make the top-10 poll cutoff to get into the debates. You also have to be early enough to not look like "yet another challenger", but not so early that people are already bored with and/or that you've had time for major gaffes.

You want to be a breath of fresh air, but not so new that people haven't heard of you.

Campaigning has basically become a hipster sporting event.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: June 05, 2015, 10:26:36 am »

If Donald Trump jumps in, it'll be even more of a mockery. The last time he did, it seemed more like he simply did it to make a mockery of the system rather than actually run.

He isn't getting my vote anyway, despite initially sounding like he has some good ideas, he quickly came off as a jerk.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 05, 2015, 10:41:41 am »

Trump is set to declare June 16, I believe. Which just highlights how ridiculous this is. You can announce (unofficially) that "In two weeks, I will announce that I'm running for President" without being officially considered a candidate. Frankly, the media isn't helping, in that they cover these prospective candidates as if they were declared. If media outlets weren't so desperate to scoop each other and seem relevant, I'd say they should make an agreement to ignore anyone who's running without declaring.

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1342