Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1290 1291 [1292] 1293 1294 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545679 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19365 on: June 12, 2016, 07:24:11 pm »

Bullets are pretty cheap.
It's still money, and if shooting guns is a hobby, odds are that the money is going to rack up in time. Kinda like how when you look at your Steam account, you wonder how you've created a library worth 1.5K USD over a few years.

Always buying on sale - almost always 75% off or more.
It's still money going into bullets for shooting bottles and targets. You'd use up what you buy fast, and why wouldn't anyone selling anything not want constant demand for whatever they're selling?

I was responding exclusively to the Steam bit :)
Ah. You know, if someone's already given up on trying to explain to me, maybe I should just dismiss it and leave. Yeah, I'll do that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19366 on: June 12, 2016, 07:30:16 pm »

Interest in what you have to say fell off after the first response, because I found it rude. I'm not sure I understand the second response, so I'm choosing not to respond to that.

His point is that when we're dealing with self-defense hypotheticals "He's probably not huge or whatever, i don't see why you'd need more than a 9mm pistol" isn't really sufficient.  Remember that failure in this hypothetical means you are dead. There is actual research-based information on this subject, and the conclusion is "long rifle if at all possible, largest caliber you can handle"
Shoes...

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19367 on: June 12, 2016, 07:32:04 pm »

Interest in what you have to say fell off after the first response, because I found it rude. I'm not sure I understand the second response, so I'm choosing not to respond to that.

His point is that when we're dealing with self-defense hypotheticals "He's probably not huge or whatever, i don't see why you'd need more than a 9mm pistol" isn't really sufficient.  Remember that failure in this hypothetical means you are dead. There is actual research-based information on this subject, and the conclusion is "long rifle if at all possible, largest caliber you can handle"
Yeah, you don't seem like the type of person to cite imaginary research, so I'll just remember this, search for that research when I have time, and remember it. Thanks for your patience.

Right, uh, I may have derailed us a bit.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19368 on: June 12, 2016, 07:32:33 pm »

I think it's more of a bonding thing.  You gather around the fire and eat the rich.
And then distribute their wealth and the means of production among the proletariat?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19369 on: June 12, 2016, 07:36:37 pm »

Naah, just let the state - as the embodiment of the workers' collective will - seize them. It'll help with the alienation for sure, trust me.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19370 on: June 12, 2016, 07:41:39 pm »

Eat the rich never made much sense to me.  There are a lot more poor people to eat.
But a lot more on a rich

1. Whatever, you've got to be pretty daft to think I mean you hostility, I mean no trouble
Read what I said in an angry SHOUTING VOICE - it is hostile
Now read it as if it was Jackie Chan saying it - it is now friendly
Emotional cues do not travel through textual mediums well, so take my written word for it

2. Someone bigger, stronger and faster than you is the probable scenario, as those who buy them are not going to be those confident in their physical stature. Thus they will be more likely to take more shots from weaker calibers and assuming they don't have a gun of their own, wrek ur shit fam

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19371 on: June 12, 2016, 07:45:14 pm »

1. Whatever, you've got to be pretty daft to think I mean you hostility, I mean no trouble
Read what I said in an angry SHOUTING VOICE - it is hostile
Now read it as if it was Jackie Chan saying it - it is now friendly
Emotional cues do not travel through textual mediums well, so take my written word for it

2. Someone bigger, stronger and faster than you is the probable scenario, as those who buy them are not going to be those confident in their physical stature. Thus they will be more likely to take more shots from weaker calibers and assuming they don't have a gun of their own, wrek ur shit fam
1. Noted. Disregard me, then.

2. I just thought that physical advantages were marginal when faced with a gun. Wow, gun control is a harder problem to solve than I thought.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19372 on: June 12, 2016, 07:52:41 pm »

It's not really, most Western countries have it in the bag. It's just the US that's having trouble.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19373 on: June 12, 2016, 07:55:33 pm »

1. Noted. Disregard me, then.
No worries, we all do it, it's human nature to be cautious
Sorry for any shite punctuation on my part

2. I just thought that physical advantages were marginal when faced with a gun. Wow, gun control is a harder problem to solve than I thought.
Nothing is easy :D
I like the adage, where you should content yourself because at the end of the day, you've probably only ever had the option to do the wrong thing or the wrong thing

It's not really, most Western countries have it in the bag. It's just the US that's having trouble.
They also have jihad in the bag

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19374 on: June 12, 2016, 08:03:02 pm »

The real problem with gun control in the U.S. is that there are already so many weapons in the wild that it'd take major political will to get everything non-legal under whatever new legislation was enacted. And that's probably never going to happen, both because the pro-weapon crowd are going to drag their heels even if they're a sharp minority, one of the three largest lobbies in the country is devoted to preventing it, and the government is scared of dealing with dozens of Wacos when the crazies decide to blaze-of-glory it.

Never mind that the industry leaders who actually cared about responsible gun ownership are dead and gone, leaving the manufacturing companies to be owned and operated by pure capitalists who don't care about anything beyond their profit margin.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19375 on: June 12, 2016, 08:23:08 pm »

This thread moves too fast.  Whenever I see someone I want to respond to, there's already someone who's responded to it and said what I was gonna say.  I like discussions about guns, I wanna be a part. >.<

FD's right though, our problem is just that serious gun restrictions aren't really practical within the short term.  I imagine gun control will get better at a glacier's pace, but not in any immediately meaningful way, and probably with very stupid and nigh-useless steps like restricting assault weapons.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19376 on: June 12, 2016, 08:31:15 pm »

The real problem with gun control in the U.S. is that there are already so many weapons in the wild that it'd take major political will to get everything non-legal under whatever new legislation was enacted.
"Save an assault life, bin that assault rifle." Kinda rhymes.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19377 on: June 12, 2016, 08:33:46 pm »

The reason the NRA and other organizations oppose even seemingly minor restrictions so vigorously is because they know that once it gets through, it only has to hang on for a few years before it becomes entrenched and nearly impossible to remove. So if movement to the right is effectively permanent, then people who like it on the left have to treat even slight rightward movement as seriously as a big leap forward or they leave themselves vulnerable to salami tactics.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19378 on: June 12, 2016, 08:37:50 pm »

What a load of paranoid crock.

The slippy slope is a fallacy mate.  Them supporting common sense measures today doesn't open the door to tyrannical despotism later.  If you dont like tyrannical despotism then dont vote for it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:43:10 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19379 on: June 12, 2016, 08:43:29 pm »

I didn't say I thought that. I said they think that, though perhaps not as clearly as I could have.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 1290 1291 [1292] 1293 1294 ... 1342