Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1289 1290 [1291] 1292 1293 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545529 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19350 on: June 12, 2016, 06:50:57 pm »

1. Menial tasks are menial tasks. I want freshness and change in what I do, not routine and stagnation.
Then you'll have to accept not everyone on the planet is you

2. Sudden, violent introduction of an accelerated piece of metal to your body tends to dull reaction time and reflex for some odd reason. It's also unhealthy. Apply repeatedly until the intruder is gone, unless you happened to be using a shotgun, in which case he's probably something resembling the curtain in the other house's guest room the time I tried to use knives as grappling hooks to climb it.
If you fail to cause sufficient shock, mandem with metal in them is still operating. Takes nerve damage or a shit ton of shock to stop someone, more mass in bullet = more energy imparted = more shock
I'm not commenting on shotgun since that's an entire family of gun so results will vary depending on specifics
1. I acknowledged and made my personal counter to their attempt to emphasize with me. I know that people aren't me, I just want to stop and try to understand, because knowing more is always good.

2. Doesn't a typical, cheap pistol hold about (I'm probably extremely wrong about this) 8-10 bullets? If that's not enough to stop an intruder, odds are that you've done something to make someone with a lot of equipment and money/the government/Skynet really want you  harmed. Good thing is that your typical intruder isn't a juggernaut.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19351 on: June 12, 2016, 06:51:59 pm »

There is also the "one more shot" aspect of it.  Any fun activity that you can do in tiny doses is addictive.  Firing guns is fun and done one bullet/shell at a time.  You really get into the swing of things.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19352 on: June 12, 2016, 06:54:02 pm »

There is also the "one more shot" aspect of it.  Any fun activity that you can do in tiny doses is addictive.  Firing guns is fun and done one bullet/shell at a time.  You really get into the swing of things.
Bullets and shells cost money. It gets expensive in time.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19353 on: June 12, 2016, 06:58:13 pm »

Bullets are pretty cheap.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19354 on: June 12, 2016, 07:00:25 pm »

Expensive means only rich people can get their hands on them, and rich people can get their hands on everything because money
The real solution is to kill all the rich people
After how this election season has been going? Sign me up.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19355 on: June 12, 2016, 07:02:36 pm »

It's still money, and if shooting guns is a hobby, odds are that the money is going to rack up in time. Kinda like how when you look at your Steam account, you wonder how you've created a library worth 1.5K USD over a few years.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19356 on: June 12, 2016, 07:03:39 pm »

I recommend getting a large extended family full of ex-military gun enthusiasts.  Works great  ;D
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19357 on: June 12, 2016, 07:08:47 pm »

I recommend getting a large extended family full of ex-military gun enthusiasts.  Works great  ;D
I don't think that soldiers who've been stationed in the middle east are fond of hearing gunshots, if observing nearly everyone on my dad's side of the family is any proof.
Yeah, this is probably something I'd probably only do out of kindness with a good friend that happens to like it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19358 on: June 12, 2016, 07:09:17 pm »

1. Menial tasks are menial tasks. I want freshness and change in what I do, not routine and stagnation.

2. Sudden, violent introduction of an accelerated piece of metal to your body tends to dull reaction time and reflex for some odd reason. It's also unhealthy. Apply repeatedly until the intruder is gone, unless you happened to be using a shotgun, in which case he's probably something resembling the curtain in the other house's guest room the time I tried to use knives as grappling hooks to climb it.
If you fail to cause sufficient shock, mandem with metal in them is still operating. Takes nerve damage or a shit ton of shock to stop someone, more mass in bullet = more energy imparted = more shock
I'm not commenting on shotgun since that's an entire family of gun so results will vary depending on specifics
1. I acknowledged and made my personal counter to their attempt to emphasize with me. I know that people aren't me, I just want to stop and try to understand, because knowing more is always good.

2. Doesn't a typical, cheap pistol hold about (I'm probably extremely wrong about this) 8-10 bullets? If that's not enough to stop an intruder, odds are that you've done something to make someone with a lot of equipment and money/the government/Skynet really want you  harmed. Good thing is that your typical intruder isn't a juggernaut.

You already acknowledged you don't know anything about guns and you like it that way, I dunno why you're explaining them to us.

Actual studies done for law enforcement and military decisionmaking has settled on depth of penetration and diameter of permanent wound channel as the only things that really matter when stopping a human.  If you're buying a gun for self-defense you're acknowledging that its use is to kill someone who's trying to kill you.  Once you're in that hypothetical, why would you settle for less?  Many people have died when the guy they shot (often many times) didn't fall down, and just shot them back.  Biggest bullet and highest muzzle velocity you can afford and handle is the only actual choice if you're not just playing.  I can't imagine I'd ever need it, but I have a .45.  As a human on earth I am responsible for my own safety and it's never a bad idea to be prepared for eventualities.  Unless your understanding of the topic is lol im dum murican i gonna shoot u

Most small caliber handguns have more in the range of 12-15 rounds, but if the first two don't do the job chances are the the rest aren't going to either, at least not before he kills you.
Shoes...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19359 on: June 12, 2016, 07:09:19 pm »

It's still money, and if shooting guns is a hobby, odds are that the money is going to rack up in time. Kinda like how when you look at your Steam account, you wonder how you've created a library worth 1.5K USD over a few years.

Always buying on sale - almost always 75% off or more.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19360 on: June 12, 2016, 07:11:13 pm »

Imo gun control is its own argument and counter-argument. Disarmed populaces can't fight, so if the government wants to fuck them that's their prerogative, but at the same time disarmed populaces find it harder to fuck one another lethally, sticking to intimidation and hospitalization. Oh and knives and black market guns but that's a given
A government that doesn't have a monopoly on force can hardly be called a government.
>Swissorlan an murrica
>nogov

Expensive means only rich people can get their hands on them, and rich people can get their hands on everything because money
The real solution is to kill all the rich people
But you just gave them your guns
Checkm8 atheists

Haven't tried very hard

Or you've attracted the attention of someone who's physically larger, faster and fitter than you
I've never heard of criminals picking on someone smaller than them, they always punch up to give their victims a sporting chance lol
When it comes to how much you need, who the hell knows, if there's two people you've stuffed it and if there's three you're really stuffed, especially since the personal defence market is made up of loads of people who don't do shooting as a hobby

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19361 on: June 12, 2016, 07:13:17 pm »

Eat the rich never made much sense to me.  There are a lot more poor people to eat.
Shoes...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19362 on: June 12, 2016, 07:17:03 pm »

I think it's more of a bonding thing.  You gather around the fire and eat the rich.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19363 on: June 12, 2016, 07:20:09 pm »

You already acknowledged you don't know anything about guns and you like it that way, I dunno why you're explaining them to us.

Actual studies done for law enforcement and military decisionmaking has settled on depth of penetration and diameter of permanent wound channel as the only things that really matter when stopping a human.  If you're buying a gun for self-defense you're acknowledging that its use is to kill someone who's trying to kill you.  Once you're in that hypothetical, why would you settle for less?  Many people have died when the guy they shot (often many times) didn't fall down, and just shot them back.  Biggest bullet and highest muzzle velocity you can afford and handle is the only actual choice if you're not just playing.  I can't imagine I'd ever need it, but I have a .45.  As a human on earth I am responsible for my own safety and it's never a bad idea to be prepared for eventualities.  Unless your understanding of the topic is lol im dum murican i gonna shoot u

Most small caliber handguns have more in the range of 12-15 rounds, but if the first two don't do the job chances are the the rest aren't going to either, at least not before he kills you.
I'm not trying to explain things to you, I'm just asking questions, forgot that "no such thing as stupid questions" isn't universal.

It's still money going into bullets for shooting bottles and targets. You'd use up what you buy fast, and why wouldn't anyone selling anything not want constant demand for whatever they're selling?

Haven't tried very hard

Or you've attracted the attention of someone who's physically larger, faster and fitter than you
I've never heard of criminals picking on someone smaller than them, they always punch up to give their victims a sporting chance lol
When it comes to how much you need, who the hell knows, if there's two people you've stuffed it and if there's three you're really stuffed, especially since the personal defence market is made up of loads of people who don't do shooting as a hobby
Interest in what you have to say fell off after the first response, because I found it rude. I'm not sure I understand the second response, so I'm choosing not to respond to that.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19364 on: June 12, 2016, 07:21:51 pm »

It's still money going into bullets for shooting bottles and targets. You'd use up what you buy fast, and why wouldn't anyone selling anything not want constant demand for whatever they're selling?

I was responding exclusively to the Steam bit :)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1289 1290 [1291] 1292 1293 ... 1342