Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550315 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1935 on: May 21, 2015, 02:53:39 am »

Fascinating graph, Aqizzar. I'm kinda shocked at where some of the denominations (specifically Orthodox and Seventh-Day Adventist) fall. I would have pegged them much further into the upper-right corner. (My SO was raised Adventist, so I've gotten to hear about their particular brand of cray-cray).
I've also known some Adventists, and I'm not that surprised. There's a persistent narrative that the State is destined to become a tool of the Beast, either now or at some point in the future. This runs counter to the Christian Nation ideals of most of the other right denominations. Further, the Adventists have some exceptional beliefs that keep them from joining the fabric of the Religious Right wholesale. The disagreement over what the day of worship is, pacifism, vegetarianism, ect. All in all, they're just out there enough that the traditionals don't feel quite comfortable extending the ecumenical branch, while the rest of the religion is in line enough that they don't go all deviant and end up in UU's club.

As for Orthodox, my spying on observations of the American Orthodox is that they're essentially carving out a niche as the reconstruction of Christianity for disillusioned evangelicals and the like. Though I am loath to admit it, the Orthodox are a lot better at what they do than certain groups of American Protestants who will remain unnamed poisondrinkerschristianidentitydominionistsprosperitytheologycharismaticsassembliesofgodreformedlutheranism and can pick these people up a lot easier than most. Ancestral Sin instead of Original Sin can get a lot of them, as well as just the general competence that comes with being the oldest remaining coherent Christian sect. If there is any theological path to justifying something, the Orthodox found it 500 years ago. So instead of staying unhappy or leaving Christianity, a lot of these disillusioned ones gain an at least more internally consistent vision through the Orthodox. It helps that the Orthodox is so old and less involved in politics that they more or less don't map to the modern left-right spectrum, that they're super small in the US, and that they can boast about being original gangsters more than even the Catholic Church. The exception to all this is Alaska, which is filled with super reclusive old Orthodox communities who have probably all become snow cannibals by now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: May 21, 2015, 07:43:43 am »

Hey, Catholicism is the oldest remaining coherent sect! The Orthodox Church split off at some point ;)

Seriously though, I don't think you can say either is truly older than the other. The thing is that their schism basically was a Western Roman Empire/Eastern Roman Empire split, so that both can rightfully claim continuity.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 21, 2015, 09:07:04 am »

I've been to some Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox churches here in the US (we also have a surprising concentration of Malankara Syrian Orthodox, a Miaphysite branch from India). They do seem to be surprisingly apolitical, at least in their services. I've never looked too hard at what their connections and money imply outside of Sunday mornings.

Obviously, the Orthodox Church in Europe is a somewhat different story.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 21, 2015, 12:15:15 pm »

Obviously, the Orthodox Church in Europe is a somewhat different story.

Alas, such is life.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 21, 2015, 03:00:44 pm »

Here's a blast from the past...

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker is currently one of the leading possible Republican nominees (in a smoking hot tie with Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio at... 14% each in opinion polling) and he's quickly establishing himself as the "economic" candidate in Republican terms.  Part of that is from a nearly-signed Wisconsin budget that will cut $81 million from health care programs.  There's a lot of quibbling on exactly where that $81 million will come from, but part of it is an establishment/expansion of insurance coverage for "end-of-life consultation programs", basically promoting professional assistance with the very expensive process of dying in hospice care.

If you feel a shiver running up your spine, then you probably remember six years ago, when coverage of "end-of-life consultation" in the Affordable Care Act was re-branded "government run death-panels" by Sarah Palin and effectively founded the Tea Party movement.

I'm willing to bet money you will not hear a single Republican commentator accusing Scott Walker of wanting to send federal agents into the hospital to pull the plug on your grandma.  I'm almost willing to bet money you'll hear talking heads saying a Walker-signed budget would be a good replacement for Obamacare.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 21, 2015, 03:27:14 pm »

I guess as long as business is making money from it, I guess it passes moral muster for Republicans.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:19 pm »

It would be more accurate to say that this pass as long as somebody's not manufacturing a panic - most people don't read bills not because they don't care but because the language of law is (paradoxically, because the intention is to leave only one possible interpretation) very hard for laymen to understand, so they rely on experts to tell them what it means. Most won't even realize that the term is the same.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 22, 2015, 01:34:25 pm »

Manufacturing a panic? (Buy ammo! Obama is going to take it away!)

Republicans? (Ebola! The end times are here!)

I haven't the faintest idea what you're referring to. (Buy gold!! The dollar is doooooooomed!)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 22, 2015, 10:56:35 pm »

<snip> So screw the union buster, I simply wanted your attention.

Any chance, Aquizzar, you may run for house or maybe state house in your district?  It is not that unreasonable after all, the Texas Dems need all the help they can get.  Think of all the money you could get...

More seriously, however, Wisconsin is trailing all its neighbors in the economic recovery.  Minnesota, for example, has a $2 billion surplus, Illinois is growing, as is Iowa.  Wisconsin is trailing behind all its neighbors except Michigan, but MI being MI, does not look so good.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 23, 2015, 09:30:45 am »

I second that. The economy here is still horrendous. Mostly because manufacturing is all moving or has moved out with nothing inbound to replace it. Also, a high degree of essentially open corruption in government because scared old people are the only ones willing to vote.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 26, 2015, 10:16:48 am »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 26, 2015, 10:23:33 am »

You know that's satire, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: May 26, 2015, 10:25:51 am »

I second that. The economy here is still horrendous. Mostly because manufacturing is all moving or has moved out with nothing inbound to replace it.

This is going to be an ongoing problem throughout all of America and Canada, and I presume Europe, too. If I were an optimist I'd call this the beginning of the information revolution, but I'm not, so we're fucked.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 26, 2015, 11:36:21 am »

You know that's satire, right?

Woops.  :-[

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 26, 2015, 12:13:23 pm »

I second that. The economy here is still horrendous. Mostly because manufacturing is all moving or has moved out with nothing inbound to replace it.

This is going to be an ongoing problem throughout all of America and Canada, and I presume Europe, too. If I were an optimist I'd call this the beginning of the information revolution, but I'm not, so we're fucked.

I dont see why you think it's an either/or.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 1342