Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1287 1288 [1289] 1290 1291 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545357 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19320 on: June 12, 2016, 03:43:35 pm »

Because other people talked about it then I'm not allowed to weigh in on my opinion? I didn't read any posts prior to mine but past the one I responded to so maybe other people already said what I said I dunno I can't read.
If you have been ninja'd you forfeit the right to opinion, unless you can challenge the ninja to mortal combat and thus kill them and steal their posts

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19321 on: June 12, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »

Is it true Hillary Clinton's top backer killed the Onion

Seems too funny to believe, especially given how it's the Onion

I see nothing about this. I did, however, see this: https://www.vice.com/read/the-founder-of-the-onion-predicts-trump-will-win-and-change-almost-nothing
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19322 on: June 12, 2016, 03:54:03 pm »

12 hours, give or take. Not a bad turnaround time, all told.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19323 on: June 12, 2016, 04:01:20 pm »

Because other people talked about it then I'm not allowed to weigh in on my opinion?
Just lettin' yeh know it had already came up. Didn't feel like responding a second time, et al.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:11:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19324 on: June 12, 2016, 04:47:31 pm »

The deadliest mass shooting US history was in Orlando?  Holy shit, that's close to home.  Hope I don't know anybody that was there...

To make it worse, he actually chose a good gun for it.  Doesn't change the fact that pistols kill way more people, but now the deadliest shooting wasn't done with a fucking peashooter P22, so it'll be harder to convince people they shouldn't be focused on scary "assault weapons".  Grah.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19325 on: June 12, 2016, 04:51:03 pm »

The deadliest mass shooting US history was in Orlando?  Holy shit, that's close to home.  Hope I don't know anybody that was there...

To make it worse, he actually chose a good gun for it.  Doesn't change the fact that pistols kill way more people, but now the deadliest shooting wasn't done with a fucking peashooter P22, so it'll be harder to convince people they shouldn't be focused on scary "assault weapons".  Grah.

It was reported to have been a fully automatic weapon on the Beeb rather than an assault rifle, which is apparently a term that actually refers to single shot weapons(?), so projectaphiles across the pond have some hope yet.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19326 on: June 12, 2016, 04:52:21 pm »

If you do live nearby, consider donating some blood at least. I'd give some AB plasma if I wasn't living halfway across the planet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19327 on: June 12, 2016, 04:53:18 pm »

Except you can modify semi-auto guns into fully-auto guns.

(And no, semi-auto means you cannot simply hold down the trigger to fire a stream of bullets; you have to pull it repeatedly, and my understanding (as a non-gun person) is that "assault weapon" refers to a combination of features that makes guns look scarier / more military-like)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:55:32 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19328 on: June 12, 2016, 04:57:02 pm »

Yeah, it's totally easy and legal to put an auto sear on any AR-15 lower.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19329 on: June 12, 2016, 05:23:57 pm »

If you do live nearby, consider donating some blood at least. I'd give some AB plasma if I wasn't living halfway across the planet.

I would, but I'm actually not allowed to donate blood, at least last time I checked, because I have Crohn's disease.  :(

Yeah, it's totally easy and legal to put an auto sear on any AR-15 lower.

...You sure?  Or is this sarcasm?  Pre-1986 sears for anything cost thousands, and getting to be a dealer probably isn't easy for a muslim, frankly.  I'm pretty sure you have to be vetted by the police.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19330 on: June 12, 2016, 05:27:09 pm »

Wait, semi automatic weapons are ok but fully automatic weapons are not? i got a feeling that people that can agree with this have zero experience with combat rifles or are spinning it so they could keep selling their rifles.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19331 on: June 12, 2016, 05:29:31 pm »

It's basically a 'fully auto sounds scarier so we cant have that' situation.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19332 on: June 12, 2016, 05:34:03 pm »

Kinda, yeah.  Most gun control laws are, unsurprisingly, written by people who don't understand guns.

This is probably one of the rare situations where a full-auto would actually be more effective.  A club's full of big ol' crowds where missing isn't much of a worry.  Even without full-auto, that's probably why he killed so many more than other mass shooters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19333 on: June 12, 2016, 05:59:47 pm »

It is literally an official teaching of the RCC that living a normal life as a homosexual is evil. You can dress it up as "everyone sins" and "you just don't have to act on it", but that is plainly bullshit. Maybe you're a homophobe, and maybe you're not, but Catholicism is, and people who treat it as more than a vague societal framework but an actual description of the universe would be happy to have never had to deal with "the LGBTs".

I want to write a sketch where a terrorist keeps finding his attacks derailed by people who know why he's really doing it.  End the sketch with a newspaper montage of his dismayed face under headlines like "DISENFRANCHISED YOUTH LASHES OUT AT OPPRESSIVE SYSTEM," set to Mad World.
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19334 on: June 12, 2016, 06:01:09 pm »

Except you can modify semi-auto guns into fully-auto guns.
(And no, semi-auto means you cannot simply hold down the trigger to fire a stream of bullets; you have to pull it repeatedly, and my understanding (as a non-gun person) is that "assault weapon" refers to a combination of features that makes guns look scarier / more military-like)
Semi-automatic rifles fire a single bullet every time you pull the trigger, the reason why they are semi-automatic is because when the trigger is pulled the bullet is automatically cocked, fired, spent casing ejected and the next bullet loaded. This saves on a great deal of time as no manual bullet loading is required. A fully automatic rifle does all that and brttttts automatically for as long as the trigger is held
Contrast with one of the more common rifles in the Murrican market like the nugget, where this is all done manually with the bolt action, or any pump action shotgun which does the same with the pump action

"Assault weapon" is a pretty memey term by the media same way a police officer with a shotgun became a police sniper in Ukraine
It has a non-memy definition of a fully automatic rifle that has selective fire (firing in bursts or full retard mode) with a detachable magazine
They don't look military-like, it's more that most world militaries really like them thus making them iconic of military. They are bread and butter of most world militaries, militias and militants, like fabled AK-47 which all media across the world can recognize as assault weapon of AK-47 style assaulting. You can also just paint all guns black and slap tacticool stuff on it like in COD but there's not much point in removing any character from such machines

Oh! Almost forgot. Assault rifles by definition are capable of burst and full brrttttt modes, but I don't know US gun law but most governments are scared by their citizens being equally as armed as their army so in countries where assault rifles are legal they sometimes do stuff like placing legal conditions for their sale, like the elimination of full auto mode or the capacity to fire high-performance sexy ammunition
If this is the case in Murrica then it seems what people are trying to stop (if they knew what they were talking about) is someone buying a civilian certified assault rifle (with no full auto mode or sexy ammunition) and modifying it to be on par with the military one all over again
Pages: 1 ... 1287 1288 [1289] 1290 1291 ... 1342