Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545098 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19290 on: June 12, 2016, 01:11:14 pm »

So wait, are you calling me a homophobe? Because I'm definitely Catholic... Funny, you should tell the guys I've made out with. I'd wager they'd be surprised :V
Nah, he's spouting bullshit because someone religious compartmentalized in a way he thinks is representative of the true nature of religion. For MSH, it's only compartmentalization and denial of the nature of the faith when the person ignores the negative aspects of the religion, instead of all the bloody rest of it. When the latter gets ignored, it's True ReligionTM.

Anyway, we're now at... 11 hours, if this started at 2 AM? +/- an hour, as I forget exactly which time zone orlando's in. Things are rollin', it seems.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19291 on: June 12, 2016, 01:17:21 pm »

Deadliest mass shooting in US history, over inane hatred.
I can't, just can't fathom why?
What reason would anyone have for this? What inspires someone to do things like this?
Why?

*cough Gettysburg cough*
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19292 on: June 12, 2016, 01:18:56 pm »

If the belief of the religion is that something is evil and punishable by death, then of course they're gonna take steps to ensure that happens. The predominant values and written word of most religions are out there for observation, they're not just some amorphous faithfullness that's all up for debate. The whole practice of theology is in turning word into what you want it to mean. That doesn't mean that "Christianity and Islam are ok with being gay, it's just individuals with a problem", that's so fucking dishonest it makes my head spin.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19293 on: June 12, 2016, 01:20:07 pm »

Who is 'they'?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19294 on: June 12, 2016, 01:22:24 pm »

Anybody who tries to live out their religion in all contexts.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19295 on: June 12, 2016, 01:22:29 pm »

If the belief of the religion is that something is evil and punishable by death, then of course they're gonna take steps to ensure that happens. The predominant values and written word of most religions are out there for observation, they're not just some amorphous faithfullness that's all up for debate. The whole practice of theology is in turning word into what you want it to mean. That doesn't mean that "Christianity and Islam are ok with being gay, it's just individuals with a problem", that's so fucking dishonest it makes my head spin.
How dare we disagree with your preconceived notions.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19296 on: June 12, 2016, 01:23:39 pm »

Let's be real here. The predominant reason for hatred of gay people is religion, all other reasons are disorganized and incoherent. He killed these people in the name of Islam, and we have to recognize that for what it is.

This is the face of a believer who chooses not to compartmentalize, and if you come around pronouncing how "it's not Islam, it's hate" then you're missing the point. It is the interconnection of religion and moral indignation that allowed the shooter to commit to this action.

Just, fuck. Welcome to Current Year, I guess.

I still disagree on this point.  Pretty sure we've done this before.

It's hate.  Religion just conveniently provides a backing of legitimacy to that hatred that allows people to act on it and still feel like they're doing the right thing, and I'd bet my eyeballs that the relevant bits of religious text were written in by people with massive hate-boners for exactly this purpose - that even if religion spurs homophobia that would not exist otherwise, the hate still came first.

There would still be homophobia without religion, and people would find some other way to legitimize that prejudice.  I'm pretty sure there's been examples of non-religious mass persecution of homosexuality in the past.

And I've had many long debates with religious fundamentalists about their anti-gay stances, and the result has been the same every time.  Tearing through the religious basis isn't difficult.  You just repeat that their religious teachings don't have any authority beyond their religious group, so they need to come up with a different reason to present to those outside their religion for their persecution to be considered ok, and if they don't they are doomed to shrink into irrelevancy as they convince everyone they're nothing more than a hate group because they persecute people and can't give good reasons for doing so.  Once you've gotten through this, you always encounter the exact same sentiment in the end.  Every time.  "It's just gross.  I can't stand thinking about what they do.  Their existence bothers me, and I can't take it."

And while you are right about this, and the hatred-based stuff in religious texts need to be challenged in theological debate, what people disagree with you on is your belief that religion itself is what provides the true motivation to act for people who do things like this.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:27:41 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19297 on: June 12, 2016, 01:27:58 pm »

The reason christian fundamentalism is as deep-rooted as it is, though, is because that, during the conversion of the germanic peoples, it was believed that the Old Testament and its laws had to be enforced heavily (despite the New Testament claiming that the old laws no longer applied) because otherwise it would be "muddled" with local mysticism. Leviticus was one of the most used books in this process. And here we are now.

Source: André Vauchez's The spirituality of the medieval West
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19298 on: June 12, 2016, 01:36:29 pm »

I still disagree on this point.  Pretty sure we've done this before.

It's hate.  Religion just conveniently provides a backing of legitimacy to that hatred that allows people to act on it and still feel like they're doing the right thing, and I'd bet my eyeballs that the relevant bits of religious text were written in by people with massive hate-boners for exactly this purpose - that even if religion spurs homophobia that would not exist otherwise, the hate still came first.

There would still be homophobia without religion, and people would find some other way to legitimize that prejudice.  I'm pretty sure there's been examples of non-religious mass persecution of homosexuality in the past.

And I've had many long debates with religious fundamentalists about their anti-gay stances, and the result has been the same every time.  Tearing through the religious basis isn't difficult.  You just repeat that their religious teachings don't have any authority beyond their religious group, so they need to come up with a different reason to present to those outside their religion for their persecution to be considered ok, and if they don't they are doomed to shrink into irrelevancy as they convince everyone they're nothing more than a hate group because they persecute people and can't give good reasons for doing so.  Once you've gotten through this, you always encounter the exact same sentiment in the end.  Every time.  "It's just gross.  I can't stand thinking about what they do.  Their existence bothers me, and I can't take it."
People only think it's gross and feel oppressed by their existence because they're taught to do so, by the moral teachings of religion. That they resort to asserting their feelings once their other justifications are torn apart does not prove that those feelings are the source of their belief.

The ultimate source of homophobia is beyond speculation. Maybe it was for some societal advantage, maybe it was simple ingroup/outgroup dynamic, or maybe it was happenstance of who acquired power over society early on. We don't know that, but what can be known is what maintains it today.

And even if you think I'm wrong about everything else, there's no doubt we wouldn't have anything resembling the world's current persecution of LGBT people without religious justification.
And while you are right about this, and the hatred-based stuff in religious texts need to be challenged in theological debate, what people disagree with you on is your belief that religion itself is what provides the true motivation to act for people who do things like this.
Theological debate is cold comfort for anybody who's ever been tortured or killed for this while we sit around and act like this is a topic for calm discussion. It's also just plain a position of weakness that people don't buy into unless they want to go along with it. You can't theology your way around Sodom and Gomorrah (that's just rhetorical, do not bother bringing up the points about hospitality, homosexuality is condemned more explicitly in other places too) and keep a level of honesty that would sway a person who burns with the need to take down the sodomite menace.

It's not a real solution until the real problem is dealt with.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19299 on: June 12, 2016, 01:37:00 pm »

I AM SANCTIMONIOUS!  FEAR ME!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19300 on: June 12, 2016, 01:38:39 pm »

[ironic snickering intensifies]
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19301 on: June 12, 2016, 01:41:07 pm »

[ironic snickering intensifies]

After months it's finally my turn to be the edgelord! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

kekekekekekeke
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19302 on: June 12, 2016, 01:42:04 pm »

Hey, mainiac, I haven't seen you say anything about the Brexit debate. What do you think?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19304 on: June 12, 2016, 01:46:16 pm »

> belief of the religion

People aren't robots, bub. Every "member" of a religion doesn't have the exact same programming. When you grow up in a tradition of faith, what you're taught is going to depend on who's doing the teaching, and what you believe is going to depend on what you accept and what you reject (and whether you're seduced to another set of beliefs, as Islamic State does to win recruits).

(And of course people can choose to reject the religion they grew up with entirely, to say "this is bullshit", or to say "I would never worship any god who did these things. This looks like it was merely a tool to control people through fear.")
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 1342