Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544952 times)

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18330 on: May 25, 2016, 11:44:02 am »

He's a subhuman scumbag who can only win by accruing the votes of other scumbags.

Just like everyone else you disagree with, right?

This hysteria surrounding Trump reminds me very much of the right's hysteria surrounding Obama during the '08 general, and it's just as ridiculous.

Being worried about someone, who has generally shown themselves happy to step on other people to further their own interests & own ego, get into a position to affect a lot of peoples lives is ridiculous? I mean yeah that does apply to other politicians & some of it is fairly over the top, but still. Plenty of good reasons for people to be bothered by the possibility of Trump getting in to power.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18331 on: May 25, 2016, 11:50:15 am »

... y'know, I've actually been keeping up on the thread fairly well, and I'm... fairly sure neither of those have happened. Or if they did, it wasn't with much seriousness. Particularly the latter is something that folks have clarified repeatedly it's not what they're saying when other folks tried to strawman 'em. Maybe I missed it, I'unno.

I'm reluctant to quote old discussions and be accused of picking a fight with those people, and the specific fact it exists on Bay12 isn't especially important anyway, but I've got links if you want them.

He's a subhuman scumbag who can only win by accruing the votes of other scumbags.

Just like everyone else you disagree with, right?

This hysteria surrounding Trump reminds me very much of the right's hysteria surrounding Obama during the '08 general, and it's just as ridiculous.

Being worried about someone, who has generally shown themselves happy to step on other people to further their own interests & own ego, into a position to affect a lot of peoples lives is ridiculous? I mean yeah that does apply to other politicians & some of it is fairly over the top, but still. Plenty of good reasons for people to be bothered by the possibility of Trump getting in to power.

That's the thing though. There are legitimate criticisms, but just as with Obama what's at the forefront is overwhelmingly the shrillness. Not just among regular people but among major media outlets, and that's an important distinction to make.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18332 on: May 25, 2016, 12:00:45 pm »

Baffler is probably talking about me, but iirc I only pointed out that all your base are belong to Trump. You are on the way to destruction.  You have no chance to survive make your time.

I couldn't resist.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18333 on: May 25, 2016, 01:14:20 pm »

That's the thing though. There are legitimate criticisms, but just as with Obama what's at the forefront is overwhelmingly the shrillness. Not just among regular people but among major media outlets, and that's an important distinction to make.
... see, that's the thing, at least from my perspective. I'm paying about as much attention to major media this cycle as I did that one (i.e. not much), but I'm legitimately not seeing nearly as much "shrillness" as I did then, from basically any angle I've been exposed to. Exposure and overall noise isn't too dissimilar, maybe, but shrill isn't how I'd describe what's being aimed at trump, while I'd agree pretty readily it was what was significantly aimed at obama. Even the folks I've noticed legitimately terrified of trump don't seem nearly as loud about it as folks did about obama. Perhaps talking with roughly equal frequency, but the volume and insistence is... lower. Folks consider trump a fascist (bad) joke of a thug; folks considered obama the bloody antichrist.

You're experiencing something different than I am, is basically what I'm saying. Which is fair enough, I guess. Probably regional, it's certainly true I run into significantly more conservative inclined folks in the day to day than otherwise.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18334 on: May 25, 2016, 01:20:34 pm »

Oh things are pretty shrill. Not every day a candidate's rallies turn into riots where people are throwing rocks.

Of course, that was the Northwest. If anywhere is progressive enough to get violent, it's there.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:26:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18335 on: May 25, 2016, 01:27:21 pm »

Not every day one the candidates was been explicitly endorsing violence towards protesters, either, but fair enough. Like said, there's probably some regional difference going on in perspective.
Ask not!
Ask!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18336 on: May 25, 2016, 01:49:19 pm »

Out of curiosity mainiac, if some magic happened that made Congress democrat, would you still support Clinton?

Yeah.  Two years of joint control of congress isn't a whole lotta time and she wouldn't waste it fighting within the party.  Obamacare just barely passed Congress.  I have more faith in a plan to create a medicare buy in and expand coverage to those cut out of the medicaid expansion then I have faith in a plan to create an entire national health service.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18338 on: May 25, 2016, 03:39:12 pm »

David Duke, former head of the KKK, accuses Donald Trump of plagiarism.

"This guy, what a joke, what total failure--his white supremacy is simply the worst. My white supremacy is the best; everyone loves it and everyone says so."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18339 on: May 25, 2016, 03:41:36 pm »

David Duke, former head of the KKK, accuses Donald Trump of plagiarism.

Wow

It's like every line is increasingly crazier. The judge is gonna have a good chuckle.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18340 on: May 25, 2016, 03:42:04 pm »

I wont be holding my breath on this case.  You can't copyright racism.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:47:41 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18342 on: May 25, 2016, 03:47:24 pm »

oh thank god

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18343 on: May 25, 2016, 03:48:01 pm »

... what's that even doing on the website of a kentucky lawyer, anyway? Fake or not, that's an odd place for it to be. Maybe somewhat understandable considering who the lawyer is, but... still.
Ask not!
Ask!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18344 on: May 25, 2016, 03:49:55 pm »

oh thank god

Yes, a close call.  I was just thinking that if you can't trust the KKK, who can you trust?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 ... 1342