Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1214 1215 [1216] 1217 1218 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545799 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18225 on: May 21, 2016, 04:35:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure Trump does his own. Who else could?

A precocious but hateful 10 year old.

Point.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18227 on: May 23, 2016, 10:35:12 am »

John Oliver on trying to fix the broken primary process.

This kind of reporting annoys me.  It's basically just a constant chant of "this is flawed!" which you hear constantly in all american discussions of politics.  Yes, we know.  Everyone knows.  But nothing in this life is perfect.  Nothing.  The way that people chose lanes at the grocery stores is clearly flawed.  The military procedures that resulted in an artillery strike on a red cross hospital in Afghanistan are clearly flawed.  Just saying something is flawed doesn't cut it!

John Oliver says that the republicans got "lucky" because the winning candidate is the one with the most votes, Trump.  But Trump is such a clear example of a broken system.  He is a plurality candidate, not a majority.  He won because his chief opponent, Cruz, was factional.  A whole lot of candidates dont like him.  The system isn't working in a big way but he just papers over that by pointing out that Trump got a plurality.

Basically, I think it's flawed.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18228 on: May 23, 2016, 12:18:48 pm »

The way that people chose lanes at the grocery stores is clearly flawed.

How so?

My choice is very optimal! I always choose self-checkout and never have to wait in line. (It helps to use one of the scanner things where you scan what you're buying while you're putting it in your cart, and the resulting list is just loaded into the checkout computer when you go to check out, so you're done checkout in a minute or so.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18229 on: May 23, 2016, 12:40:26 pm »

One of the grocery stores near me got rid of the self checkout because not enough people used it.  Clearly these people are idiots.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #18230 on: May 23, 2016, 12:50:12 pm »

I think both parties would be better off if they switched to something like approval voting for the primaries--that way, it would be less about who has the biggest faction and more about who has the broadest support among voters as a whole.

Full disclosure: Using this poll as a guide, I have calculated that my favored candidate would likely have a slight delegate lead over his opponent under approval voting; I am therefore somewhat biased.

How so?
IIRC, studies have shown that having a line for each register is much slower than having one big line and calling customers up to a register as soon as it becomes available.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18231 on: May 23, 2016, 01:12:51 pm »

Clearly these people are idiots.
I believe this is Mainiac's constant internal monologue when viewing this thread.
I jest, no murder pls.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18232 on: May 23, 2016, 01:20:20 pm »

IIRC, studies have shown that having a line for each register is much slower than having one big line and calling customers up to a register as soon as it becomes available.
... huh. Would those studies also have noted any increase in violence regarding that setup? Because that seems like a near perfect way to cause more dustups in the middle of a store...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18233 on: May 23, 2016, 01:26:54 pm »

How so?

My choice is very optimal! *snip*
You are not people, you are a person who is people.  People are average.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18234 on: May 23, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »

Clearly these people are idiots.
I believe this is Mainiac's constant internal monologue when viewing this thread.
I jest, no murder pls.

I admit nothing!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #18235 on: May 23, 2016, 02:07:51 pm »

Would those studies also have noted any increase in violence regarding that setup?
Not that I recall. A single line which is feeding N different registers will tend to move forward about N times as fast as one feeding a single register, so even if the line is longer you spend less time just standing there.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18236 on: May 23, 2016, 02:28:05 pm »

Where do you place the long line?  Presumably you dont want it snaking from one side of the store to the other.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #18237 on: May 23, 2016, 02:29:31 pm »

Parallel to the registers. A lot of shops where I live use that system.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18238 on: May 23, 2016, 02:30:37 pm »

I recently saw a Mythbusters episode which tested this. Single line with N cash registers is not faster than letting people choose which of the N registers to queue for. It did increase customer satisfaction though, possibly because a single line is percieved as a more fair system. Slower, though.

Not that I recall. A single line which is feeding N different registers will tend to move forward about N times as fast as one feeding a single register, so even if the line is longer you spend less time just standing there.
That says nothing about whether a single line with N cash registers would be faster than N lines with N cash registers.
What you're saying there is just 'adding more cash registers makes things go faster'. Which is pretty obvious
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:37:40 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18239 on: May 23, 2016, 03:05:38 pm »

Yeah it's pretty straightforward, splitting the line up shouldn't make a difference in speed unless some of the aisles are sitting unused while people are still waiting in line.  Which does happen, but people naturally avoid that by trying to join the shortest line.  And I've had the clerks invite me to an open aisle a couple times when I wasn't paying attention.

So I'd expect split-lines to be marginally slower because of that.  I prefer standing relatively still and using my phone, though.  It's also a better opportunity for the store to sell those candies and magazines in the checkout aisle, that's trickier with a combined fast-moving line.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1214 1215 [1216] 1217 1218 ... 1342