Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1176 1177 [1178] 1179 1180 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547665 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17655 on: May 09, 2016, 06:37:18 pm »

Excepting the snark about the arts, This.
I was actually thinking about philosophy majors. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
We need more Welders and less Philosophers.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17656 on: May 09, 2016, 06:51:32 pm »

Clearly MSH is a talented welder, judging by how roasted Philosophy just got. Suck a lemon, Leibniz; maybe you'd have known how to Science in the best of all possible worlds!

*Drops microphone, inspires Theory of Gravitation.*

But seriously, Philosophy was basically the Scientific Method's Mom, and the art of argumentation and rhetoric that Philosophy developed is still extremely relevant.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17657 on: May 09, 2016, 06:51:50 pm »

Excepting the snark about the arts, This.
I was actually thinking about philosophy majors. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
But the Philosophers can tell us why we need Welders, if at all

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17658 on: May 09, 2016, 06:53:23 pm »

I'm a college debater, believe me, I'm well versed in the benefits of argumentation, rhetoric, and other philosophy. Everyone should be taught philosophy. But that doesn't change the fact that a philosophy degree is useless outside of becoming a philosophy professor or other professional assponce. That's at the doctorate level, a philosophy bachelor's is even more useless.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:55:07 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17659 on: May 09, 2016, 06:55:59 pm »

I'm a college debater, believe me, I'm well versed in the benefits of argumentation, rhetoric, and other philosophy. Everyone should be taught philosophy. But that doesn't change the fact that a philosophy degree is useless outside of becoming a philosophy professor or other professional assponce. That's at the doctorate level, a philosophy bachelor's is even more useless.
Some become Museum curators

Of course the caveat is you'd be better off working at a Museum for those 4 years

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17660 on: May 09, 2016, 06:56:14 pm »

If the words of my welding certified family members are anything to go by, we really don't. Welding apparently isn't that far from just outright oversaturation, and it can be fairly difficult to find work doing it in many areas. Does seems like underwater welding is a fair bit better off, but, uh. They're also about forty times more likely to die than the average american citizen.

Philosophers... we need to actually hire the damn things where they'll help (i.e. teaching the technical skills involved in the field before college, actually getting used for ethics boards, etc., etc.) more than we need less of them, since there's already damn few. There's just not that many of them, academia wise -- they're usually one of the smallest programs on a college campus (when the program even exists!), and very much aware that if they're there, they're probably not there to advance their career in any direct sense. We still need 'em, because if nothing else the mechanics behind rhetoric, logic, and ethics are fucking vital and more ignored every year, but they're not exactly flooding their (barely existent, and long since stuffed to the gills) applicable markets.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17661 on: May 09, 2016, 06:57:42 pm »

Some become Museum curators

Of course the caveat is you'd be better off working at a Museum for those 4 years
That's actually Art History majors. (RIP Philosophy majors, scurvy's a bad way to go)
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17662 on: May 09, 2016, 07:03:25 pm »

Everywhere I look in america I see unwelded metal littering the ground but I never find complex systems in need of analysis.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17663 on: May 09, 2016, 07:15:24 pm »

Do you have any links? This sounds fascinating.

A good place to start:
http://members.shaw.ca/jeanaltemeyer/drbob/chapter1.pdf

One interesting thing is that high-RWA scorers tend to zap people a lot more on the Milgram experiment. And they tend to blame the experimenter less, and the electrocuter + electrocuted person more, when asked who's to blame for the Milgram experiment.

I mean, sure we can say that the RWA test is politically biased, maybe, but when people holding those views are much more likely to sadistically electrocute random people, then blame the person who got electrocuted, I'd say there's something there worth knowing about.

One in interesting part was this, a hypothetical about whether the subject would submit to various government attempts to eliminate undersirables. RWA people were more willing to go along with a pogrom than other groups, no matter who the pogrom was against (e.g. including against their preferred political party, if that party had been deemed a threat to society)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:38:01 pm by Reelya »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17664 on: May 09, 2016, 07:35:05 pm »

But this doesn't do anything to prove the earlier statement that authoritarianism is inherently right-wing. You've done a whole lot to state that the group stratified expressly based upon their willingness to see dissenters silenced in favor of the present order is willing to do terrible things to silence dissenters in favor of the present order, but no statement has been made to connect with this -- the bias of the RWA test isn't nullified by the fact that the certain individuals from the group it singles out are more likely to be terrible than others, it only means that the group it has selected is more likely to have that sort of sadism. It doesn't say anything about larger groups outside of that group, nor authoritarianism in general.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17665 on: May 09, 2016, 07:40:39 pm »

People have been trying to make a comparable left-wing version for the last 40+ years. The failure to do so does say a lot.

But the thing is, authoritarianism is inherently right-wing because that's part of the traditional definition of what right-wing is. All the lit. on this topic does mention that they're using "right" in the original, European sense. Thus those who support the traditional status quo are the Right. There's a strong tendency in these people to want to punish those who step outside the traditions. A diehard Soviet true believer acts more like a conservative than a liberal. Hence, they score highly on RWA tests, and low on tests of liberalism, regardless of which "faction" they'd be considered in terms of politics.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:51:41 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17666 on: May 09, 2016, 07:49:42 pm »

People have been trying to make a comparable left-wing version for the last 40+ years. The failure to do so does say a lot.
That academia is left-wing?

But the thing is, authoritarianism is inherently right-wing because that's part of the traditional definition of what right-wing is.
Defined by left-wing academia <3

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17667 on: May 09, 2016, 07:50:46 pm »

What do you mean by "people"? Who has been trying to do this, and what attempts have been counted and not counted matter a whole lot. I'm not inclined to take a sweeping statement like this at its face, sorry.

But the thing is, authoritarianism is inherently right-wing because that's part of the traditional definition of what right-wing is.
Excepting my earlier arguments that there really is no ONE right wing, and excepting the arguments I could make that the exact opposite is true, this is just a circular argument: authoritarianism is defined as inherently right-wing because authoritarianism is defined as inherently right-wing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17668 on: May 09, 2016, 07:58:50 pm »

Obviously authoritarianism is going to be defined as right-wing if you define obedience as right-wing. You can't have authoritarianism without obedience, and it is laughably tautological and self-serving as a definition to the point where the makers of the RWA openly recognize that the Soviet Union had no "right-ness" and defined it as RWA for being a dictatorship anyway.

Ancient archaic political definitions are not a valid justification for this kind of obfuscating action, no more than me defining centre-ness as "wants to retain the monarchy but also lessen its power", and that's the key to being a "moderate".
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17669 on: May 09, 2016, 08:00:02 pm »

The point is that traditional right-wing is associated with an adherence to the traditional status-quo. What exactly that status quo is, varies between nations. Yet people who adhere to whatever it is, all score highly on this test.

When you're talking political factions, that's a different thing. Nobody involved ever claimed e.g. that this test is measuring "all Republicans" for example. The people who created this test straight up state the definition of Right they used was the original French meaning, of those who supported the traditions in the assembly. Sure, you can have a different definition, but that's completely unrelated to any claim this test makes.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:02:02 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1176 1177 [1178] 1179 1180 ... 1342