Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548229 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17130 on: May 02, 2016, 09:24:53 pm »

What's a TERF anyway???

...Shirtgate?  how am i missing this stuff

to be honest, missing out on anything with a -gate appended to it probably improves your quality of life

although i think shirtgate isthe thing where this one dude wore this vaguely offensive[i don't remember why it was offensive] shirt in a nasa photo or something and then suffered huge consequences

Here's the one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17131 on: May 02, 2016, 09:26:15 pm »

That shirt should be burned at the stake, but really?  It gets its own -gate?  Really?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17132 on: May 02, 2016, 09:31:04 pm »

Don't you see that picking on people is what really matters here? Indulging the bullying urge is the only solution to structural oppression.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17133 on: May 02, 2016, 09:34:12 pm »

Don't you see that picking on people is what really matters here? Indulging the bullying urge is the only solution to structural oppression.
oppress the oppressors.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17134 on: May 02, 2016, 09:38:29 pm »

I mean yeah it's kinda ugly, but nothing to really get excited about. He got massive media coverage with people attacking him for wearing the shirt and calling for his firing and whatnot, though. An equal number of people showed up to defend him, many of whom were just as insane as the people who made the original complaints. No shortage of articles like this one where they sort of backhandedly make fun of the backlash but mention offhand that he's still a piece of shit, either.

He was a flashpoint in the culture war. Most of the people have moved on to other dumb stuff, but he's still not really escaped the results either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17135 on: May 02, 2016, 09:43:21 pm »

That shirt should be burned at the stake, but really?  It gets its own -gate?  Really?
Yeah, it's a fucking eyesore, but it's not nearly bad enough to justify the abuse the guy got for wearing it.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17136 on: May 02, 2016, 09:46:51 pm »

...Shirtgate?  how am i missing this stuff

Shirtgate SG-1, it's a TV show.

Ironically, the shirt was a gift - from a female friend of his who is an artist and fashion designer, which she'd given to him as a birthday present about 1 month before the press conference. So, perhaps it was a lapse of judgement on his part, but his thought process was almost certainly "I'm going to wear the hand-made shirt Elly gave me when I'm on TV" rather than "hell yeah, time to pull out my shirt with the bitches on it!"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:01:23 pm by Reelya »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17137 on: May 02, 2016, 10:09:44 pm »

It's not ironic at all.  Feminists don't agree or disagree with actions based on whether or not they are done by a woman, (in principle, at least).

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17138 on: May 02, 2016, 10:11:28 pm »

It's not ironic at all.  Feminists don't agree or disagree with actions based on whether or not they are done by a woman, (in principle, at least).

Bwhahahaha

In principle, the world is fair, all men are entitled to protection under the law, living conditions improve, and all debate is fully reasoned.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17139 on: May 02, 2016, 10:20:02 pm »

The -gate suffix is one of those things I will never forgive the world for introducing into the English language. Is there ever a situation in which anybody was slightly miffed at another person? Add -gate to the end of it and suddenly it's a media scandal that sets the whole nation on fire! Waiter got your order wrong? Restaurantgate! Spill your coffee on somebody vaguely important? Coffeegate! Secret service doing their job wouldn't let you past the gates of the White House? Gategate!

I'm hoping that another scandal happens at Watergate and the media calls it Watergategate. Then I feel I will be able to commit arson and argue my case afterwards.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:22:29 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17140 on: May 02, 2016, 10:21:54 pm »

@Strife
Calling women out for internalized sexism against women is pretty common.
I don't think it's justified in this case, but still.  The fact that a woman gave him the shirt isn't what makes it okay.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17141 on: May 02, 2016, 10:27:11 pm »

I wasn't commenting on the specific situation, because shirtgate is just another little bit in the ridiculousness of the modern culture war, I was laughing at the idea that gender of a person committing an action isn't a major part of determining if it's "right" or not.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17142 on: May 02, 2016, 10:40:23 pm »

You missed my point if you think that I was trying to make a claim as broad as you describe.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17143 on: May 02, 2016, 10:42:30 pm »

At what point does "internalized sexism" become "disagreeing with me"?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17144 on: May 02, 2016, 10:48:26 pm »

I guess when someone misuses a concept to attack people who disagree with them :P
Good thing it's so rare for humans to do that!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1342