Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550479 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16695 on: April 20, 2016, 09:49:11 pm »

Well, they just seem rare I guess because they aren't commonly used in day to day business.

Apparently they are pretty rare because there's not much printing demand. Businesses are the main demand for small banknotes, to give change. Most places only get stacks of $1 bills, because it's easier to deal with less denominations. Therefore the bank demands a disproportionate number of $1 bills from the Treasury. The Treasury likes $2 bills however, because if they print more of those and less $1 bills they save money. That doesn't mean people will request and use them however.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16696 on: April 20, 2016, 09:50:04 pm »

Fun little snippet:
Quote from: Wikipedia
During the election, Jackson's opponents referred to him as a "jackass". Jackson liked the name and used the jackass as a symbol for a while, but it died out. However, it later became the symbol for the Democratic Party

Regardless: Jackson is, in my opinion, one of the greatest American presidents, and for one very simple reason: Universal manhood suffrage. His push for manhood suffrage turned the U.S. from an oligarchy to a distant relative of a democracy, and opened the door for women's suffrage, black suffrage, etc.
You know there were male slaves, right? Did you, um, forget ... no, you wrote black suffrage later, so... I don't even understand.
Being a slave is an inherently emasculating experience.

Seriously though, of course the vote only applied to citizens. You don't have to give the vote to non-citizens to be a democracy.

Canadian dime, nickle, quarter and the rare penny are for all intents and purposes interchangeable with American coins. the difference in technical value is almost nill most of the time and people just don't care.
This is only really true near Canada, I suspect. Nobody uses canuck currency here.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16697 on: April 20, 2016, 10:11:19 pm »

well its unlikely a Canadian coin gets vary far south in the first place so you cant tell can you?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16698 on: April 20, 2016, 10:18:48 pm »

well its unlikely a Canadian coin gets vary far south in the first place so you cant tell can you?

I was a kid and it was years ago, so I don't remember where I got the coin. I just remember that I did have a coin that was slightly different from the usual ones.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16699 on: April 20, 2016, 10:23:54 pm »

I was a kid and it was years ago, so I don't remember where I got the coin. I just remember that I did have a coin that was slightly different from the usual ones.
did it have a caribou or the queen on it?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16700 on: April 20, 2016, 10:27:38 pm »

did it have a caribou or the queen on it?

I don't remember, pretty sure it didn't have a caribou on it.

I'm thinking it was one of those state commemorative coins that go around every bunch of years or so.

Actually, no, looking at wikipedia it was most likely a Canadian coin, and I don't think an American kid would have recognized Queen Elizabeth II on a coin anyway.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:37:09 pm by smjjames »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16701 on: April 20, 2016, 10:33:56 pm »

Seriously though, of course the vote only applied to citizens. You don't have to give the vote to non-citizens to be a democracy.
The point, however, is that it didn't apply universally to non-white citizens until 1870 and the ratification of the 15th Amendment - rather than universal male suffrage, it was universal white male suffrage.  I mean, the impact of Jacksonian-era politics on suffrage shouldn't be minimized (I brought it up as well as one of the few things he did well), but you don't need to go too far in the opposite direction and claim it did things it didn't in fact do.  In fact, for an example, the 1830s in North Carolina actually marked growing restrictions on the rights of free black male citizens to vote.  Before this makes it seem like a Southern phenomenon, New York did not renounce the property ownership requirements for voting rights by black men even as late as 1860 (in a referendum where the "No" vote decisively won by twice the votes of suffragists), while they had lifted property restrictions on white suffrage in the 1820s. 

EDIT: Minor date snafu.  Voting rights for whites in New York were extended in the 1820s, not 1820. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:38:01 pm by Culise »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16702 on: April 20, 2016, 11:00:57 pm »

Minor slip-up on my part, the "white" got cut out during an edit. Yeah, universal white male suffrage.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16703 on: April 20, 2016, 11:43:55 pm »

Why should Jackson get the credit anyway?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16704 on: April 21, 2016, 07:31:41 am »

Hypothetically, he should get the credit if he helped do it.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16705 on: April 21, 2016, 09:49:35 am »

If Jackson is to be replaced, I would support Frederick Douglass over Harriet Tubman as an alternative.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16706 on: April 21, 2016, 09:55:56 am »

Douglass wasn't a woman. The entire point of the exercise was to start highlighting important women in American history that have been overlooked.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16707 on: April 21, 2016, 10:09:26 am »

Douglass wasn't a woman. The entire point of the exercise was to be racist against white males.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhY9Zxv1-oo
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16708 on: April 21, 2016, 10:59:47 am »

oh noes reverse discrimination

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16709 on: April 21, 2016, 11:16:30 am »

The worst kind.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1342