Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548505 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1575 on: April 21, 2015, 12:33:41 pm »

My vote's for freedom.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 21, 2015, 12:41:53 pm »

lobbyist
political analyst
contractor for company with deep government ties (say, northrup grummman or lockheed martin)
any government payed vocation (includes mailman)
attorney

The idea is to remove even potential (however far fetched) routes that corruption could maybe, possibly, take root through-- even if that causes terrible chafing, and chapping of asses.

the candidate can have career backgrounds in the above, just time in that vocation does not count toward their required outside vocational requirements for eligability. (eg, you can be an attorney, but the time you spend working as one does not count when evaluaing your candidacy. There's nothing stopping an attorney from also working a second, eligable job.)

The basic idea there is to force government officials to endure and experience, first hand, what thier policies do to the general public-- vocations that are historically sheilded from those impacts need to be off the table.

scoopbeard:

define freedom as you intend it please. that word has too much newspeak and double-speak injected into it.  Freedom to do whatever you want? That's the antithesis of government, who's main function is to subvert such pure freedom for the safety and protection of the masses. (otherwise, the rapist, the murderer, and the con artist would all be free to ply their arts.)  The argument with government is to arrive at a workable balance between necessary removal of freedoms for genuine protections needed for a society to function, and the unnecessary removal of freedoms for the illusion of protections needed to placate public anxiety and fear.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:47:24 pm by wierd »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: April 21, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »

If we dont elect anyone we'll be like Belgium.

And that's terrible.

The Belgians were alright though, weren't they? They've got a few devolved governments already that worked just fine in the absence of a national government. It just means America will be at the mercy of its state governments and Governors.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 21, 2015, 01:02:58 pm »

I'll tell you exactly what freedom is. It's in my new 9 part plan to define freedom. The first step is to ask the question, what is freedom? the next step is to answer that question. The third step is to present that answer to your question in a way that benefits everyone. The fourth step is to use that presentation to define freedom. The fifth step is to show you how that definition of freedom is presented and to answer the question. The sixth step is to use the question to check the presentation, definition, and presentation of freedom. The seventh step is to use that check to ensure that the presentation of the answer to your question is indeed free and that the definition provided has defined freedom. The eighth step is to tell you that of course that assurance ensures to you that freedom is free. The ninth, and final, step is to tell you that that answer to your question lies in the assurance of the presentation to check the answer to your question.

Hopefully that questions the answer to your question's answer.

tl;dr it was a joke you dummy. (Also, that's some liberal use of newspeak and double-speak. I literally just said freedom, in the context provided, literally freedom from everything. It was sarcastic/humorous)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: April 21, 2015, 01:06:19 pm »

And that's terrible.

The Belgians were alright though, weren't they? They've got a few devolved governments already that worked just fine in the absence of a national government. It just means America will be at the mercy of its state governments and Governors.

I'm fairly certain that this(^ ) was how the USA was originally intended to function. The interstate commerce clause was intended to keep individual states from levying duties and taxes against imports and exports between states, not to give the fed omnipotent regulatory power over the state governments-- which were originally intended to retain vast sums of autonomy-- such as what the supreme court has opined for nearly 100 years now.

the commerce clause is stretched so tightly you could use it for violin string.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: April 21, 2015, 01:08:00 pm »

wierd, what you're asking is for a corrupt system to self regulate to reduce corruption.

You do realise that, right?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: April 21, 2015, 01:11:24 pm »

And that's terrible.

I'm fairly certain that this(^ ) was how the USA was originally intended to function. The interstate commerce clause was intended to keep individual states from levying duties and taxes against imports and exports between states, not to give the fed omnipotent regulatory power over the state governments-- which were originally intended to retain vast sums of autonomy-- such as what the supreme court has opined for nearly 100 years now.

the commerce clause is stretched so tightly you could use it for violin string.

Then everyone realized that a strong federal government would be the only way to survive.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: April 21, 2015, 01:12:25 pm »

ANY government suffers that problem. They ALL require "self-regulation".

We have historical data showing that anarchy does not work well. (modern example, somalia)  Thus this corruption is a necessary evil.  We also have some limited data showing that self-regulation of government can work in limited ways.

I understand your objection, but you need to provide a better solution to make it be more than just rhetorical.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: April 21, 2015, 01:13:38 pm »

And that's terrible.

Belgium is weird so we are allowed to laugh at them and give them wedgies.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: April 21, 2015, 01:14:47 pm »

What do you expect from the birthplace of the waffle?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 21, 2015, 01:20:18 pm »

And I don't have a solution, it was just an observation. It might be cynical and apathetic to think like that but I honestly don't see much of an alternative, other than trying to change it yourself but that never really works out when you need a gradual change.

The people who have the power want to keep it, and they'd be hard pressed to lessen their grip on it in any way.

So what you're proposing, while being a good idea that would lead to good things if implemented will sadly never be implemented because you're asking sociopaths for self control.
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 21, 2015, 01:26:04 pm »

Like I stated--

"I also want icecream and a pony."

;)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: April 21, 2015, 01:28:27 pm »

Eh, missed that bit, tho I fully agree with it ^^
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: April 21, 2015, 01:37:00 pm »

I'll take the icecream. Ponies are stinky expensive poop machines, and I'd rather not >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:24:30 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 1342