Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547790 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1485 on: April 18, 2015, 12:20:31 pm »

Well, to me the fact that Vietnam spawned a strong anti-war movement while Iraq did not is a good example of the influence of the draft.
... are you sure that Iraq hasn't managed that, though? We've actually had some pretty bloody huge gatherings over the last decade or two, over here. Disturbingly little news on it when we've had stuff like half-million+ person protests (in one place, mind, nevermind other protests at the same time), but they've been there. The general sentiment has been trending pretty hard against it for a few years, now, too.

It'd be interesting to see how public opinion and such has actually moved, comparatively, actually. Cursory searching didn't really find anything easily digestible, but from what I (vaguely) remember there's not really been anything particularly unusual re: war weariness and whatnot for either conflict.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 18, 2015, 12:24:40 pm »

Not to mention, I think SG probably would go "Yeah, that sounds good," for an abolition of all armed forces, so your slippery slope there didn't exactly work as intended :P
Naah, I just want clarity and consistent positions - I'm perfectly fine with someone arguing for pacifism.
I find your argument really weird Helgoland. If using conscripts is bad, don't use them. If the guy in front is using them, and you end up having to kill people that were sent there against their will, that's on him, not you, at least if you're fighting a defending war.
Using conscripts is bad, because you're endangering the life of someone for political gain (winning the war) against their will.
By the same argument, killing/attacking any enemy soldier (especially conscripts though) is bad for the same reason.

If the circumstances are such that killing enemy soldiers becomes acceptable (because the political gain - defending one's country from occupation, for example - has become big enough), for the same reason using conscripts must have become acceptable at the same time.
Thus if war - necessarily involving killing/attacking enemy soldiers, even if it is a defensive war - is acceptable at all, using conscripts is too.

Sure, the argument sounds a little bit weird, but only because we're used to thinking that non-soldiers dying is somehow worse than soldiers dying.

Watergate was small potatoes compared to what Snowden has released via the press.
Debatable - what the NSA does does not have a direct influence (SG probably has some info on its indirect influence) on the political process, so it was arguably 'less bad' as far as one can compare the two: The NSA does not (directly) endanger the functioning of the American democratic institutions.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 18, 2015, 12:54:29 pm »

Not to mention, I think SG probably would go "Yeah, that sounds good," for an abolition of all armed forces, so your slippery slope there didn't exactly work as intended :P
Naah, I just want clarity and consistent positions - I'm perfectly fine with someone arguing for pacifism.
I find your argument really weird Helgoland. If using conscripts is bad, don't use them. If the guy in front is using them, and you end up having to kill people that were sent there against their will, that's on him, not you, at least if you're fighting a defending war.
Using conscripts is bad, because you're endangering the life of someone for political gain (winning the war) against their will.
By the same argument, killing/attacking any enemy soldier (especially conscripts though) is bad for the same reason.

If the circumstances are such that killing enemy soldiers becomes acceptable (because the political gain - defending one's country from occupation, for example - has become big enough), for the same reason using conscripts must have become acceptable at the same time.
Thus if war - necessarily involving killing/attacking enemy soldiers, even if it is a defensive war - is acceptable at all, using conscripts is too.

Sure, the argument sounds a little bit weird, but only because we're used to thinking that non-soldiers dying is somehow worse than soldiers dying.

So are we going to continue along this line of logic & say if war is justified then using any weapon available is justified too. Napalm, Nukes, you name it?

Or that if your killing people anyway, then torture is a lesser evil, so that's perfectly ok too?

I don't think logical arguments about morality ever really work when your talking about a war. It's messed up to start with. Me myself I'd prefer it to be as little messed up as possible, whether it makes perfect sense in logic or not.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 18, 2015, 04:13:52 pm »

So are we going to continue along this line of logic & say if war is justified then using any weapon available is justified too. Napalm, Nukes, you name it?

Or that if your killing people anyway, then torture is a lesser evil, so that's perfectly ok too?
There's still a difference between killing someone and inflicting unnecessary pain. But yes, I believe that once you cross the moral event horizon of justifying the killing of a person, questions of morality are reduced to questions of effectiveness and necessity, and only the latter keep us from committing even more horrible atrocities than those we commit today.

As the saying goes: All is fair in love and war. It's not a particular good saying, I'll be the first to admit that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm »

It's a terrible saying. At least in war we have the Geneva Conventions.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 18, 2015, 04:20:38 pm »

As I said, questions of necessity. You'll find no military on earth that won't throw those rules out the window when the situation gets bad enough. Hell, it applies to civilians too: Would you torture a guy to find out where the possibly still alive abductee, who will suffocate in a short time, is located? We had a case like that in Germany a while back, and there was a lot of discussion. I think the policeman in question was convicted, but given a very, very light sentence.

Apparently there's a wiki article with a better example. The German word is Rettungsfolter, apparently - 'torture which saves'. I can't find an English article about the case I mentioned, but the abductee's name was Jakob von Metzler.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:26:32 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 18, 2015, 04:32:40 pm »

Hmm, can't say I agree on that one. Whether using professional soldier or conscripts is more "moral" right or not (to me it's actually a nonsense question), I think that not forcing a person to kill or be killed is an improvement on the alternatives.

Whether killing a soldier or a civilian is worse or the same? Yeah it's debatable. I don't really care, I'll take what I can get here. Not killing civilians is 50% of the way there, if we could just get the other half right I'd be even more happy.

I'm pretty strongly a pacifist & while I'm not so much the idealist that I think we can get rid of wars & military without a lot of things in the world changing, I think the above 2 things are at least an improvement on the alternatives. To me it not about morality, a war is never right. It's about the least bad consequences & once you start justifying things like killing civilians & forcing people in to the army your just making a bad situation even worse.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 18, 2015, 04:48:16 pm »

Realize it's rhetorical, but considering torture largely just doesn't freaking work and thoroughly fucks up the person doing it, to boot... no. Rules against shit like that exist for a reason, and nine times out of ten it's not because of a moral issue.

S'a pisspoor example for what you're trying to posit, helg, at least about it leading to further atrocities, since it's effectiveness that leads anyone with a brain to avoid torture, not (lack of) necessity. Torture is an extra gross ethical violation, though, since it's significantly unlikely to even accomplish what it's (ostensibly -- the general reality is that the folks doing it are just fucked in the head) attempting to do.

Big thing to remember about many atrocities is that they're considered excessive (and thus, an atrocity) because they're not freaking effective. They backfire, they cause greater resentment and retaliation than other methods, they salt the earth, they're just straight up uneconomical for the group doing it, the list just kinda' goes on. It's not lack of necessity prevent this shit, it's the lot of it being bad craft, either in the immediate or long run.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 18, 2015, 05:02:16 pm »

Big thing to remember about many atrocities is that they're considered excessive (and thus, an atrocity) because they're not freaking effective. They backfire, they cause greater resentment and retaliation than other methods, they salt the earth, they're just straight up uneconomical for the group doing it, the list just kinda' goes on. It's not lack of necessity prevent this shit, it's the lot of it being bad craft, either in the immediate or long run.
That's true for many things - torture especially, as you mentioned - but not so much for other stuff. The use of poison gas against an enemy without agents of chemical warfare, the use of expanding bullets in war (they're allowed for police use, strangely enough), abusing protective signs such as the Red Cross... All of these are only avoided because of moral standards and the fear of retalliation by third parties, and if the situation becomes bad enough, those two will not count for much.
That is - at least to me - the prime reason to avoid war: It leads to such things. There is no such thing as civilized warfare.
The Bay12 postcard club

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 18, 2015, 06:10:20 pm »

Blaming war on vague elites is like blaming it on thermodynamics. Equal parts true and meaningless.

Yeah, it's no profound statement, but it wasn't the point of my post, either.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 18, 2015, 08:30:18 pm »

Potentially related, but perhaps not, I was reading up on military killbots for reasons. Anyway, we've got a project leader for a robotics project, Gordon Johnson, saying, "The lawyers tell me there are no prohibitions against robots making life-or-death decisions... It’s not a question of if, it’s a question of when."

I can only assume that after the Joint Forces Command was disestablished, this guy got back to his true calling - erecting a gigantic disc to block out the Sun.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 18, 2015, 08:53:26 pm »

But yes, I believe that once you cross the moral event horizon of justifying the killing of a person, questions of morality are reduced to questions of effectiveness and necessity, and only the latter keep us from committing even more horrible atrocities than those we commit today.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 19, 2015, 07:26:31 am »

I realize I should have been more accurate in that specific sentence: Once you justify the killing of an innocent person without some societal framework to keep the violence in check, such as the justice system or the laws and customs of commerce, you cross that moral event horizon - and the soldier you set out to kill certainly is innocent, he's done nothing to harm you.
Yeah, hurting someone or ruining them for political gain is pretty much the same, but there's fewer clear-cut examples for those.

... Of course you could argue that the laws and customs of warfare have the same civilizing effect, and to an extent they do - but there is no clear moral distinction between killing someone in an ambush and killing them after having taken them captive, for example, or killing them via bullet or via nerve gas.

I suppose I'd have to build my argument from another base: All of Western morality is built around the individual, around its rights and desires. Once you negate the individual by making it a mere means to an end - winning the war -, you leave that moral framework.
The Bay12 postcard club

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 19, 2015, 10:08:26 am »

Blaming war on vague elites is like blaming it on thermodynamics. Equal parts true and meaningless.

Yeah, it's no profound statement, but it wasn't the point of my post, either.

It glosses over the fact that there is influence on the leaders and their priorities change. Today's political system is far less belligerant than past systems. The world is a safer place. If you rant against vague elites and make cynical noises about their motives then you are ignoring the important trend.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 19, 2015, 10:25:02 am »

"It's getting better, therefore it's not bad"?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 1342