Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545360 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14640 on: March 15, 2016, 04:51:27 pm »

Most attractive
-Marco Rubio
-Bernie Sanders
-John Kasich
-Hillary Clinton
-Donald Trump
-Ted Cruz
Least attractive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: March 15, 2016, 04:51:37 pm »

Draft Colin Powell for President. Betcha he could beat Hillary and Trump.
Powell's day came and went. If he had run a primary challenge (or switched parties) in 2004, I think he would have won in a landslide.

EDIT: High turnout reported in North Carolina (bolstered by beautiful weather for mid-March), and combined with historically high early voter turnout, despite a shortened early voting period and new voter ID laws. Not sure who that bodes well for -- could be a surge of Bernie supporters or Trump supporters or both. Will also be interesting to see if there's any down-ballot upsets as a result, especially on the GOP side. There are a number of primary challenges to "establishment" Republicans coming from Tea Party types, including the governor, Sen. Burr, and several of the House representatives, including noted former Tea Partier Renee Ellmers.

Without a doubt he could've won easily. Now he's got a background he can pivot any direction he wants (other than the Powell Doctrine, and no one competent can really disagree with that), plus he's got serious bonifides as anti-estsblishment with the times he's told his party to fuck off.

I mean, the guy certainly doesn't want to run, but he's definitely sufficient to sink Trump and definitely enough to give Hillary pause.

But how are they gonna get to him to run?

"General, your country needs you. Needs you to take this electoral bullet for the Republican Party (which you barely recognize and mostly loathe) by running a spoiler campaign which will leave you remembered by millions of angry, white, racist Trump supporters as the man who delivered the White House to Hillary Clinton."

Wow, not sure how he could say no, when I put it like that....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: March 15, 2016, 05:02:14 pm »

It worked for Ike?

I dunno, I got nothing.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: March 15, 2016, 05:07:34 pm »

Best
Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert (SERIOUSLY GUYS, RUN TOGETHER BEFORE PEOPLE COMPLETELY FORGET YOUR POLITICAL SHOWS)
Bernie Sanders
John Kaisich
Hillary Clinton
Marco Rubio
Ted Cruz
Worst

You deserve what you get, America tier: Donald Trump

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: March 15, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »

Without a doubt he could've won easily.
Thus joining the illustrious list of presidents who made a successful primary challenge against the sitting president and then won the general election:
1) James Buchanan
(It doesn't happen a lot)

but for me Powell is the guy that was spouting ridiculous lies to the UN assembly
That's how I remember him too.  Donald Trump would have fun trash talking the guy.

I would like to know how everybody here rates the current candidates in order from most appealing to least appealing.

Most Attractive
-Marco Rubio (A bit of a Ken doll but he has a boyish face that would be fun to smack around in bed)
-Kasich (Looks boring but at least he knows how to wear a suit)
Least Attractive
Least Unattractive
-Clinton (Well at least the hair looks alright.)
-Sanders (just take off the damn glasses and dont make stupid facial expressions.  Actually, just wear this bag until we are done)
-Trump (How do you make a suit that expensive look sleezy?)
-Cruz (I feel sorry for your face and yet for some reason I want to punch it.)
Most Unattractive
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: March 15, 2016, 05:14:57 pm »

-Cruz (I feel sorry for your face and yet for some reason I want to punch it.)
Most Unattractive

Yeah, he has those upward slanted eyebrows that almost give a sad expression.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: March 15, 2016, 05:17:41 pm »

Some concerns about his recent shift right to win votes.

THere has been no shift. Everything he's done recently is something he's advocated his entire time as governor. It's how he became governor in the first place.

Aye. He's been a fairly run of the mill conservative governor (less the Obamacare idiocy and he doesn't seem to be sticking his fingers in his ears on climate change,) but people mostly just seem to think he's a pretty middle of the road dude because he says things like "golly gee" and "son of a mailman." All in all, he really just seems like a duffer.

I really don't know how I'd rank the candidates. I'm fairly certain I'd put Cruz and Rubio at the bottom, but that's about it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: March 15, 2016, 05:22:52 pm »

I meant attractive for president, not attractive as in beauty  :P
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14648 on: March 15, 2016, 05:24:57 pm »

hm, Orange County Florida is apparently requesting extended time due to a ballot shortage, which in itself is nothing new this primary season, though it's also the same county that Trump said that he heard about ballot issues and the county officials denied there was a problem.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/mar/15/election-live-coverage-florida-ohio-primary-trump-sanders-rubio-clinton-kasich?page=with:block-56e889eae4b0d6cdda5302a6#block-56e889eae4b0d6cdda5302a6

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: March 15, 2016, 05:33:16 pm »

I meant attractive for president, not attractive as in beauty  :P

Well I think everyone else took it my way.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: March 15, 2016, 05:42:08 pm »

Geeze, this is getting ridiculous with separating the press from Trump :P  http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/15/politics/primary-results-live-updates/index.html#lf-content=160145619:lb-post-2d09f442d72648910865c64fdebbcee1@livefyre.com

Saw this linked in the 538 sidebar chat: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-fallible-mind/201601/why-ted-cruz-s-facial-expression-makes-me-uneasy

I haven't wanted to punch him in the face, maybe mainly because I'm looking at the captions on TV rather than his face directly, but his emotions do seem a bit confusing sometimes to me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:05:16 pm by smjjames »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14652 on: March 15, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »

Trump won the North Mariana Islands at 73%, with all 9 delegates pledged to him. Not much, but it's something. Other results still coming in.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:21:28 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: March 15, 2016, 06:29:56 pm »

Does anybody else think CNN misplaced a decimal point for votes in? Because they have 37% in while politico and the guardian are at 4 and 3.9%

Maybe they're just faster at collecting, no idea.

Looks like Rubio is going to lose by a similar amount as we saw in the polls.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:32:06 pm by smjjames »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: March 15, 2016, 06:32:45 pm »

I always kinda believed that Powell was lied to... Didn't he become rather critical of the administration after Bush left office?

Looks like I arrived at the very last minute, they practically locked the doors behind me! There's like an 30-60 minute line inside, maybe I can research the ticket better... all I really know is the president race >.<
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1342