Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546458 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14220 on: March 12, 2016, 02:10:36 am »

Frank Zappa called the fascist theocracy in 1986 (the year I was born).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WGtMMXQcEg

Of course, maybe it's a safe bet that we're headed there *eventually*.  He didn't set a timetable like George Orwell :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14221 on: March 12, 2016, 02:56:56 am »

Violent protestors shut down an opponent's rally and people call Trump's supporters browncoats.  Am I living in bizarro world?
Shoes...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14222 on: March 12, 2016, 04:34:29 am »

... especially since "browncoats" are from Firefly, as opposed to "brownshirts".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14223 on: March 12, 2016, 05:33:26 am »

Violent protestors shut down an opponent's rally

What is this in reference to?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14224 on: March 12, 2016, 06:12:16 am »

Unlike a lot of people I've seen, I'm arguing in good faith so I'm going to assume you were asleep or something and not assume you're making some kind of cheeky statement.

The Trump rally in Chicago was cancelled after a massive protest that ended up turning violent, with people trapped in the parking garage, ambulances being blocked, cops being hit with bricks, and possibly some shootings judging by police radio.
Shoes...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14225 on: March 12, 2016, 06:19:59 am »

Okay, but what is this about violent protesters?  Saying violent protesters sounds to me like a bunch of people came in and started beating people up.  It's an implied accusation.  Is there anything to substantiate that accusation?  If not I would suggest referring to them as loud protesters.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14226 on: March 12, 2016, 06:22:49 am »

The Trump rally in Chicago was cancelled after a massive protest that ended up turning violent, with people trapped in the parking garage, ambulances being blocked, cops being hit with bricks, and possibly some shootings judging by police radio.
Looking this up, all I've been able to find in the way of actual violence were 2 short-lived fistfights in the crowd. where are you seeing this?
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14227 on: March 12, 2016, 06:47:31 am »

I'm going to echo the questions about protesters being violent. I've googled and seen reports of protesters being assholes after the rally was cancelled, and some scuffles before that seem (?) to have been minor and Pro-Trump initiated, but nothing that seems to suggest that protesters were physically aggressive before the rally was cancelled.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14228 on: March 12, 2016, 06:47:47 am »

Seems sort of dumb to hold a right-wing rally at a university. Basically the University of Illinois students were on their home turf, and a bunch of trump supporters turn up. I mean, it's their own university hosting the thing. Of course the college kids turned up to have their say.

The rally had been due to take place at a university that is one of the most diverse in the country, at a venue situated in the heart of Chicago, a Democratic stronghold where there are few registered Republicans.

If you literally wanted to engineer a situation to make it look like the other lot were out to get you, this is the exact thinking you'd use. Like holding a KKK rally in Harlem, then saying "I told you so!" when black people protest the rally.

From the sounds of things, fights only broke out after the news broke that Trump wasn't coming, and the anti-trump demonstrators started celebrating - this probably pissed off the pro-trump people. Before that police had full control over the thing. Trump probably got cold feet because he was advised it was a hostile crowd. Gotta have friendly crowds.

Trump’s rhetoric has done little to keep it in check. When the Republican frontrunner appeared in St Louis earlier on Friday, for an event that entailed more than 30 arrests, he complained: “Part of the problem and part of the reason it takes so long [to kick protesters out] is nobody wants to hurt each other any more.” Trump added: “There used to be consequences. There are none any more. These people are so bad for our country. You have no idea folks, you have no idea.”

So Trump is actually condoning beating up protesters at rallies. This guy is a scary person - he is bemoaning how loathe his own followers have been to break the law to form into little paramilitary units to police his rallies.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:07:16 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14229 on: March 12, 2016, 07:58:53 am »

Hey, news was talking about that as I walked by this morning. Faintly amusing thing to me is that they're apparently reporting the cancellation was a he-said/she-said thing: Trump('s campaign) said the police told him they didn't have the resources to keep control, the police said they told him the exact opposite and that everything was going pretty smoothly. One of those two is probably a lie, heh. Or both, maybe, which would be interesting.

... though for once, I have to admit I'm not terribly sure which. Cops are known to lie out their arse, trump's basically made it his campaign platform, both are pretty notable possibilities. Didn't stick around to listen much, though. Had morning ablutions to take care of.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14230 on: March 12, 2016, 08:13:37 am »

The police basically aren't going to go on the public record and state that they've lost control of a situation: that just looks bad for them. IDK the details, but I'd probably expect that it's the cops covering their asses.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14231 on: March 12, 2016, 08:36:25 am »

Has the blue wall of silence ever applied to protest control in the past?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14232 on: March 12, 2016, 09:37:42 am »

Has the blue wall of silence ever applied to protest control in the past?

I'm sure that it has.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14233 on: March 12, 2016, 10:13:38 am »

somewhat akin to Cersei empowering the High Sparrow and Faith Militant in Game of Thrones. They may be alright with encouraging a culture of intimidation trampling over the First Amendment when it's directed at their political opponents, but perhaps they'll feel differently when it's directed at them.
NEW SEASON CLEGANE BOWL WEW

Wait, we don't have a real world analogue for Clegane Bowl do we? Sort of disappointed we didn't get to see a battle to the death between Bush and Bush. Maybe Clintonbowl?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14234 on: March 12, 2016, 12:06:32 pm »

The police basically aren't going to go on the public record and state that they've lost control of a situation: that just looks bad for them. IDK the details, but I'd probably expect that it's the cops covering their asses.

It was pretty clear that they didn't have control of the situation last night, at least initially.
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 1342