Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548198 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14040 on: March 09, 2016, 09:04:09 pm »

It's the Univision debate, also on CNN.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14041 on: March 09, 2016, 09:07:02 pm »

Yeah, CNN is livestreaming it and it's also on the Fusion channel.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14042 on: March 09, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »

Will this be the beginning of the looming CNN-Univision conflict?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14043 on: March 09, 2016, 09:14:32 pm »

Will this be the beginning of the looming CNN-Univision conflict?

Why would they conflict? CNN is doing the republican debate tomorrow night anyway.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14044 on: March 09, 2016, 09:17:05 pm »

The natural state of news networks is one of mortal combat.

Damn, but emailgate could be this cycle's Trump if we didn't have Trump.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14045 on: March 09, 2016, 09:23:02 pm »

There was a question that was basically "Will you say outright that Donald Trump is racist? Like, those words exactly?" and both of them avoided it. Can't blame them, since it really seemed like it was just intended to give the network a snazzy clip.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14046 on: March 09, 2016, 09:33:42 pm »

Politically correct language.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14047 on: March 09, 2016, 10:02:17 pm »

Those moderators are really hammering on that trust issue for Clinton.

edit: Yay, climate change questions.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:28:08 pm by smjjames »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14048 on: March 10, 2016, 12:00:29 am »

I'm really talking about a different issue. There's the issue of who pays for the leave money itself. That's not under disagreement.

But there are other costs born by the employer, which I am talking about. I did explain exactly what those other costs are. Clinton isn't offering to compensate businesses for those, just saying they won't pay out of their hip-pocked for the direct leave payments.

And sure, those costs can be mitigated a little, you can try and retain the old person after they are done with their leave, but it's always going to hit efficiency to some degree. And if the vast majority of leave-takers are women, well that hits women-dominated industries disproportionately, which further widens the gender gap (the costs are spread out to all women, because we're not discriminating against any specific women whether she takes leave or not).

So, as quite a few feminists have pointed out the only way to break through this glass barrier is to actually poke men with sticks until leave is truly taken in equal amounts. Just "offering" equal opportunities doesn't guarantee equal outcomes. We all know that.
So...I have a question. Why do we need equal outcomes, if truly equal opportunities are provided? I mean, I think paid maternal and paternal leave should be provided, but I mean...the wage gap is a symptom, it isn't the disease. It feels like you're wanting us to optimize for a variable that isn't actually necessarily bad. We dislike the wage gap when it's based on sexism. Women taking more time off is sorta that, but...it's not something you're gonna change by trying to force men to take more leave, or with economic/tax things. You said yourself it's a cultural thing, but...it doesn't seem like an inherently bad one, if that makes any sense.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14049 on: March 10, 2016, 01:57:42 am »

Donald trump
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14050 on: March 10, 2016, 04:47:08 am »

-snip-
Well, for example there's a stigma on men taking paternity leave, on women working while having a small child at home, etc etc. Yeah, the wage gap is a symptom, yeah, there may be some reasons for it which we don't need to fix, but currently there certainly are. And that's why the wage gap is - under the current circumstances - a problem.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14051 on: March 10, 2016, 06:21:34 am »

Has anyone adressed the awfully disturbing trend to promote Donald Trump as if his name itself was a meme? It's just really weird to me and I can't tell if it's ironic or serious. People will literally end conversation threads by stating some random trumpibberish as if that's all that needs to be said. It's a little creepy when some asinine statement ends up paraded around the internet like a biblical passage. I get it, Trump exudes a particularly strong brand of American "I don't really think about what I'm saying" masculinity, but when did it become alright to throw discussion out the door in favor of dank memeticism?!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14052 on: March 10, 2016, 07:43:08 am »

Trump's run for President is literally the IRL version of a shitpost. For anybody outside of the rabid tea-party crowd that makes up his supporters, the fact that it is even happening at all is a non sequiter. It's like if Vanilla Ice were to run for President as a joke, except he was serious and people actually started voting for him.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14053 on: March 10, 2016, 08:02:07 am »

Calling Trump's ridiculously large (for Trump) base of support rabid tea partiers isn't very accurate. Crazy populists is more accurate.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14054 on: March 10, 2016, 11:13:27 am »

Has anyone adressed the awfully disturbing trend to promote Donald Trump as if his name itself was a meme? It's just really weird to me and I can't tell if it's ironic or serious. People will literally end conversation threads by stating some random trumpibberish as if that's all that needs to be said. It's a little creepy when some asinine statement ends up paraded around the internet like a biblical passage. I get it, Trump exudes a particularly strong brand of American "I don't really think about what I'm saying" masculinity, but when did it become alright to throw discussion out the door in favor of dank memeticism?!
Trump has been promoting his own name as a brand for decades.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1342