Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1543648 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #12585 on: February 24, 2016, 06:37:43 pm »

Also, he can't pick someone from New York state because Amendment 12
Sure he can. If he does, however, it means that New York's electors can't cast both their President vote and Vice President vote for the pair. I'd be interested to see how they deal with that if an election is close enough that it results in a President and Vice President from separate tickets, actually.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: February 24, 2016, 07:07:38 pm »

Please note that neither I nor the bill linked called for banning flamethrowers. Just...y'know, requiring more than a credit card to buy one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12587 on: February 24, 2016, 07:09:53 pm »

Please note that neither I nor the bill linked called for banning flamethrowers. Just...y'know, requiring more than a credit card to buy one.
Yeah, I know. I was just making sure everyone understood that flamethrowers vs ants is sweet.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: February 24, 2016, 07:15:07 pm »

That's why God gave us aerosol cans and Zippos.
Wait, that wasn't God, that was my friend's dad.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: February 24, 2016, 07:18:09 pm »

That happened in 2000, but wasn't a problem - Cheney switched his voter registration and drivers license back to Wyoming and put his house up for sale after being chosen as Bush's running mate. Lawsuit happened, but... The future refused to change.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB112864645334762361-Sj2_Gofu_kpjkW4C082xxUY4W_E_20061006.html?mod=blogs

It's a citation on the Wikipedia article about the 12th amendment, even.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12590 on: February 24, 2016, 07:42:22 pm »

That link just leads to a blank page for me.

BTW, Obama is looking at a republican governor (and probably others) for the SCOTUS nominee. I wonder if congress will still hold up the nomination if it's one of their own being nominated, heh.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:49:18 pm by smjjames »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: February 24, 2016, 08:07:39 pm »

Quite possibly, even if he puts up a moderate conservative; the obstruction is all up-side for them right now given the presidential candidate range. Best-case scenario either Rubio or Cruz gets in and puts up Scalia II. Most likely scenario Hillary gets in, but even then she's more likely to put up a centrist/conservative than Obama is. Sanders presidency is unlikely at this point and worth the gamble; a Trump presidency would toss it all out the window because who's going to care about the SCOTUS when everything is on fire.

Of course, that's not taking into account the possibility of Dems flipping control of the House and/or Senate. I'm... not at all sure how likely that is this year.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: February 24, 2016, 08:12:06 pm »

Afaik there's too much gerrymandering for the House to be flipped for now, but the last I heard about it was a few years ago.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12593 on: February 24, 2016, 08:19:40 pm »

I don't think we'll see a House flip, but there is a slim possibility of a Senate flip, given the seats up this round.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12594 on: February 24, 2016, 09:25:12 pm »

Actually, the beauty of the SCOTUS flap is that the House is irrelevant. Only the Senate is involved in the SCOTUS confirmation process. And the Senate very possibly could flip if there's downballot forces at work in the national race. The demographics for the GOP are bad in the Senate race this year, as they were for the Dems in 2014. There are 24 GOP seats up for bid, and only 10 Dem seats.

The GOP seats currently held by Marco Rubio (FL), Kelly Ayotte (NH), Mark Kirk (IL), and Ron Johnson (WI) are all very much in play. Only Harry Reid's Senate seat is potentially in play for the Dems. Pat Toomey (R-PA) is also potentially in play with a little nudge.

Richard Burr (R-NC) could be in play with a strong Democratic challenger. Unfortunately, NC hasn't had a strong Democratic candidate for Senate since Terry Sanford (John Edwards got in there, but look how that turned out. Ditto for Kay Hagan, whose only real achievement was being less noxious than Elizabeth Dole).

There's also outside chances of things like John McCain losing the primary to a Tea Partier and then the Tea Partier losing the general. But this is Arizona -- the Tea Partier would likely win.
Ohio's Rob Portman (R-OH) could also be vulnerable to a Tea Party challenge, and Ohio is still swing enough that it might reject a hard-right Senate candidate, especially against someone like former governor Ted Strickland, who left office decently popular.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:30 pm »

.?.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:17:12 pm by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12596 on: February 25, 2016, 01:14:03 am »

Tweet from NPR's Nina Totenberg:
#SCOTUS sources say Cruz asked to sit w Scalia clerks @ funeral. They said no. Then GOP leadership said no bc he wasn't 1 of them either.

Ted Cruz -- only slightly less popular than that one kid in the pool with a cloud of yellow around him.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: February 25, 2016, 09:38:29 am »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/hispanic-media-republican-debates-219756 Anybody else looking forward to Trump getting mauled on immigration in tonights debate? :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: February 25, 2016, 11:03:43 am »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/hispanic-media-republican-debates-219756 Anybody else looking forward to Trump getting mauled on immigration in tonights debate? :)

But...but...he won 62% of the Latino vote in Nevada. He's YUGE with them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: February 25, 2016, 12:07:54 pm »

But...but...he won 62% of the Latino vote in Nevada. He's YUGE with them.

Should we start betting on if this is mind control rays or wizardry?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1342