Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545107 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #12165 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:49 am »

Marco Rubio, another Catholic candidate for the GOP nomination, said he has "tremendous respect and admiration" for the pope, but he added, "There's no nation on Earth that's more compassionate on immigration than we are."

"AMERICA IS BEST COUNTRY IN WORLD AT EVERYTHING" bullshit really cheeses me off.

How about Germany, eh? Under Angela Merkel's leadership, they've been extremely compassionate, taking in large numbers of refugees.

Meanwhile, here in America, Rubio's fellow candidates are effectively saying SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING, and even President Obama is sending South American refugees back to die, and only accepting a tiny amount of syrian refugees.

Yeah theres a lot of hypocrisy to go around and Trump's gonna be Trump

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: February 20, 2016, 10:04:44 am »

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/02/trump-hits-back-bush-eminent-domain-his

Oh man, how did I miss this story?  Y'know, maybe Trump isn't the republican voters being worse then we thought but them struggling to demand more.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12167 on: February 20, 2016, 10:07:58 am »

"AMERICA IS BEST COUNTRY IN WORLD AT EVERYTHING" bullshit really cheeses me off.
How about Germany, eh? Under Angela Merkel's leadership, they've been extremely compassionate, taking in large numbers of refugees.
Meanwhile, here in America, Rubio's fellow candidates are effectively saying SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING, and even President Obama is sending South American refugees back to die, and only accepting a tiny amount of syrian refugees.
By that logic Pakistan and Lebanon are the most compassionate countries in the world. You think this is a choice of leadership? Merkel's leadership is irrelevant when Germany has no borders and no choice in the matter of how many they take in, they're saving face by pretending they fucked up on purpose (or they did fuck up on purpose, it's really up to debate how many people were incompetent and how many willed it to happen). For the USA where two large oceans separate the old world from the new, everyone who sets foot there has either snuck in from North or South or was given permission. All of them are only there because the USA showed them compassion. Not being able to stop gargantuan migration is not the same thing. The USA really is the best in the world at almost everything, it's why I can only say China is the richest country in the world after the USA, Britain has the largest aid budget in the world after the USA, Russia has the mightiest nuclear stockpile after the USA e.t.c.
And I do I even need to start on why the USA abandoning her successful strategic fund and foreign aid in favour of Merkel's ineptitude would wreak ruin upon both worlds? The USA is not perfect and it's not the penultimate civilization and its reign of undisputed power has come to an end, but you're doing damn great

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: February 20, 2016, 10:10:18 am »

By that logic Pakistan and Lebanon are the most compassionate countries in the world. You think this is a choice of leadership? Merkel's leadership is irrelevant when Germany has no borders and no choice in the matter of how many they take in, they're saving face by pretending they fucked up on purpose (or they did fuck up on purpose, it's really up to debate how many people were incompetent and how many willed it to happen). For the USA where two large oceans separate the old world from the new, everyone who sets foot there has either snuck in from North or South or was given permission. All of them are only there because the USA showed them compassion. Not being able to stop gargantuan migration is not the same thing. The USA really is the best in the world at almost everything, it's why I can only say China is the richest country in the world after the USA, Britain has the largest aid budget in the world after the USA, Russia has the mightiest nuclear stockpile after the USA e.t.c.
And I do I even need to start on why the USA abandoning her successful strategic fund and foreign aid in favour of Merkel's ineptitude would wreak ruin upon both worlds? The USA is not perfect and it's not the penultimate civilization and its reign of undisputed power has come to an end, but you're doing damn great

But muh greatness.....

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: February 20, 2016, 10:15:52 am »

You think this is a choice of leadership?

Look, I hate Merkel much, much more then the next guy (literally worst German Chancellor since...) but that doesn't mean that she hasn't been trying to make the best of the refugee situation, unlike some leaders.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: February 20, 2016, 10:25:50 am »

Marco Rubio, another Catholic candidate for the GOP nomination, said he has "tremendous respect and admiration" for the pope, but he added, "There's no nation on Earth that's more compassionate on immigration than we are."

He didn't say we were taking the most refugees, he said we were the most compassionate. We have compassion coming out of our freakin' ass, okay? We have a stockpile of weapons-grade sympathy, and we're not afraid to show it. We will shed bigger tears and say louder prayers for all those poor refugees than any of you other nations.

But fuck bringing 'em here, one or two might be ISIS. Besides, that's a really long way to float on a raft.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: February 20, 2016, 11:36:30 am »

Look, I hate Merkel much, much more then the next guy (literally worst German Chancellor since...) but that doesn't mean that she hasn't been trying to make the best of the refugee situation, unlike some leaders.

Her inaction was what caused the "refugee" situation (can we stop calling them that now that the EU's official stance on the matter is that most of the immigrants aren't refugees?) in the first place.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: February 20, 2016, 11:40:33 am »

I will keep calling them refugees as long as people keep using the term immigrants as an excuse for inaction.

What course of action could Merkel have taken  that would be an improvement on the current situation and avoided this problem in the first place?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: February 20, 2016, 11:44:42 am »

Her inaction was what caused the "refugee" situation (can we stop calling them that now that the EU's official stance on the matter is that most of the immigrants aren't refugees?) in the first place.

It wasn't just her inaction, it was EVERYBODY's inaction. The civil war could have ended years ago.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: February 20, 2016, 11:53:20 am »

Are you referring to the Syrian civil war? Most of the so called refugees are not from Syria.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: February 20, 2016, 11:56:10 am »

It wasn't just her inaction, it was EVERYBODY's inaction. The civil war could have ended years ago.

Possibly.  Not certainly.  For all they knew at the time intervention would make things worse.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: February 20, 2016, 12:10:20 pm »

Apologies, mainiac, I didn't see your post above smjj's at first.

I will keep calling them refugees as long as people keep using the term immigrants as an excuse for inaction.

What course of action could Merkel have taken  that would be an improvement on the current situation and avoided this problem in the first place?

Instead of criticizing those who tried to uphold their borders, she should've argued for strengthening the EU:s borders where the immigrants are entering. A united European response would both help Greece (which is stuck with the heaviest burden) and been more effective than every country having to fend for themselves. This should've been done years ago, but instead Merkel opted for their "let everyone through" do-nothing policy and forced it on the rest of the union. Now, when it's become clear just how unworkable those policies were, Merkel is angry that the rest of Europe doesn't want to share the burden of caring for immigrants that the rest of them didn't want in the first place. This is not Merkel (and Sweden, for that matter) being saddled with the consequences of fairweather friends. This is Merkel (and Sweden) being left with the bed they themselves and complaining that the rest of the EU isn't helping them enough with the linens they had no part in making.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12177 on: February 20, 2016, 12:12:07 pm »

You think my judgement is based off of hate? No, I quite like Merkel. My judgement is based off of her deliberate exacerbation of two out of the three last crisis to hit Europe.

Of all the reasons to support inaction, semantics is none of them. Also that's not the debate to begin with, as the choice is not between open borders, border control and inaction. It is bizarre to call things that are not to things that are, by that same reference all shall continue calling everyone immigrants for as long as people keep using the term refugee as an excuse for inaction.

You been lurking the Europol threads? Lots. Starting from when Merkel first shut down her own party's attempt to declare the Balkans safe and her failure to send sufficient aid and her terrible life choice to attack the first nation to actually enforce its border all the way down to her declaring all refugees were welcome all the whilst she had dismantled Europe's ability to sort migrants from militants from refugees? In 2014 it was no secret that the majority of migrants were not from Syria, because they were just a continuation of the Med boat human trafficking from 2012 onwards. She needed to justify immigration at a time when Germany was most opposed to immigration, so she just called people coming from around the world Syrian refugees with very, very predictable outcomes. At numerous times she's had the option to start damage control and has even gone on to tell the news she fears Germany has lost its social centre (of course she does not take responsibility for this, Germany just "lost" it and its coincidence that its a result of her leadership). It's a great big mess that will never be fixed because Merkel is either a dogmatist or a careerist, even now Germany's border control and deportation efforts have stopped or returned tens of thousands of migrants out of millions arriving yearly.
Honestly what couldn't she have done? She was inactive, simple as. If you expect millions and millions of people to arrive you either prepare to repel them or accommodate them, she did neither, stopped her subordinates doing the former and listened to finance ministers who did not live in reality for the latter. As a result she promised the Germans that refugees would pay for themselves and now has millions of people with no work skills relevant to a highly developed economy like Germany, so their tax base already strained by one demographic bomb now is strained by two.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: February 20, 2016, 12:13:54 pm »

Germany did a lot to prepare to accommodate refugees compared to Italy or Spain or the United States.  To me this looks like the man in the arena problem, you are complaining that in the heat of the moment she couldn't make a chaotic situation be a smooth one.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12179 on: February 20, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »

Spain and Italy are both incredibly poor, with Spain also having been hit by the Eurozone crisis quite hard. Even so Spain made more preparations, only their preparations were border control, not accommodation. Italy whilst their interim government decided on accommodation and helping boat migrants reach Italy nonetheless were better prepared, despite being the chaotic mess that is the Italian government. The USA is also one of the only nations in the world that did not need to make any preparations, as the Atlantic Ocean is in the way. Merkel's decision to make all asylum seekers have free pass and accommodation (not even refugees) was odd, but pressuring other countries into doing the same was the icing on the cake. The Germans have been so ill-prepared under Merkel that they're having to confiscate cash and jewelry from asylum seekers just to try and balance the books. I know poor leadership from a strong leader when I see it.
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1342