Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544768 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11760 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:31 pm »

You know what gets me hot? Liberal interpretations of the Constitution. Oh yeah baby, cite international law as a precedent again....

On a side note, how will Clarence Thomas function now without Scalia's hand up his ass?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11761 on: February 14, 2016, 09:55:38 pm »

Oh yeah baby, cite international law as a precedent again....
*screams*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11762 on: February 14, 2016, 09:56:13 pm »

*screams*
I love the way you legislate slowly

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11763 on: February 14, 2016, 09:57:47 pm »

*screams*
So is that the (entirely too) happy screaming that annoys the neighbors or the other kind that gets them calling the police? Considering the discussion it could be either...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11764 on: February 14, 2016, 09:58:17 pm »

The kind that gets them calling the police, since I'm largely right of the aisle :P
(well, a libertarian, but hey)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:00:14 pm by Powder Miner »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11765 on: February 14, 2016, 10:04:43 pm »

That just makes it forbidden fruit ♫

Last time I checked the right side of the aisle's at least as into that stuff as the left, if not as open about it. The second half of your statement doesn't follow from the first :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11766 on: February 14, 2016, 10:22:08 pm »

The problem is that "liberal interpretation of the Constitution" usually means "finding some way to subvert the spirit if not the letter of the Constitution", with the exception of certain social issues that not even a conservative Supreme Court is capable of doing anything about, and it's the liberals especially who try to screw around with the First Amendment (*cough* Equal air time *couch*), and if I were to jack off to any part of the Constitution it would be the First Amendment.

Liberal screwing-around with the Constitution tends to apply more federally too -- it's at least usually left to the states so there's at least SOME place to go if you don't approve of conservative screwery, whereas you're a tad bit more screwed on the liberal end because the liberal end is typically much more for federal centralization. One could try to point to national security BSery, but let's be real: when it comes to Congress, the Dems are every bit as bad about that as the Republicans, and the executive branch just isn't listening to the courts, where the conservative judges actually aren't unanimous in favor of PATRIOT-style stuff anyway.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11767 on: February 14, 2016, 10:26:00 pm »

I dunno. Scalia was one of the biggest proponents of reading things into the Constitution that aren't there. He explicitly argued that moral beliefs alone constituted an adequate basis for legislation restricting a person's rights, for example.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11768 on: February 14, 2016, 10:27:28 pm »

Oh, I won't argue Scalia having been on the restrictive end of conservatism. I'm just more scared of the kind of replacement Obama would pick, since Obama is hardly a shining champion of political liberties.
(That and annoyed about the new fate of that union case. I greatly greatly dislike coercing people to pay for a union they have no intention of being a part of, and in general I feel unions have far too much coercive power.)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:29:38 pm by Powder Miner »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11769 on: February 14, 2016, 10:35:44 pm »

That's because unions have gone from being tools for the weak to leverage their individual power against the strong to one more institution which piles power onto those who already possess it.

Where I work, you flat-out can't bid for any decent jobs unless you're in the union, and even if you don't join you lose $20 from every paycheck just because it might theoretically advocate for you in the future.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11770 on: February 14, 2016, 10:44:11 pm »

People lose money without a say in it all the time but it's only when it's unions doing it that suddenly people care.  I used to deliver pizzas, I had to pay for company shirts and hats to wear while I was doing it.  That was the cost of getting my job.  But when a union is bargaining for a higher wage without your consent suddenly it's super sad.

Most wage negotiations are inherently between unequal parties.  You have to pick between people getting paid less then the fair price of labor, unions bargaining for a price with an individual employer or governments setting a price by law.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11771 on: February 14, 2016, 10:55:46 pm »

I'd suggest rereading my initial post.

I'm not complaining outright about being stuck with low-level positions as a non-union member; that's just a cost of working in a sector which is highly unionized, and I'll unionize wherever I end up working once I have my Master's and accreditation. I'm not complaining about being barred from working full-time or from getting overtime hours, because in the end this is just a stopgap to help make ends meet, not a career. I'm complaining about the union taking a hefty sum from the paychecks of part-time employees for the theoretical provision of a service which few will ever need or elect to use. I'm complaining about unions becoming tools for senior members to control and extort junior members instead of tools for employees to combat bad employers.

I'm complaining about unions for the same reasons that I complain about authoritarian SJWs more than neonazis: they should damn well know better and be better than that. I expect exploitative practices from employers just as I expect disgusting social and political views from neonazis, so it doesn't surprise or alarm me when they behave like utter scum; they were born from base desires and reflect their nature.

3. Run Resize Enable

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11772 on: February 14, 2016, 11:01:09 pm »

But you signed up for the job, and both sides of the arrangement (you, the business) agreed to it willingly.
Unions in this situation are a third side forcing both other sides (the worker, the business) to their terms in order to gain themselves some money.
And it's still negotiations between inherently unequal parties... just, the worker without the union gets the short end of the stick either way. At least companies don't tithe you -- sure they'll pull moneygrabs with the shirts and hats, that sort of thing, but in the end the companies are paying you -- they have to. They stand to lose and they stand to gain, but they hire you because they need workers and you agree because you need a job.
With unions, ESPECIALLY public sector unions, they stand to lose nothing by pushing, pushing, and continuing to push, and when the government backs 'em up and provides the muscle the situation becomes even more unequal: everyone not in the union has to suck it up.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11773 on: February 14, 2016, 11:05:00 pm »

I'm complaining about the union taking a hefty sum from the paychecks of part-time employees for the theoretical provision of a service which few will ever need or elect to use. I'm complaining about unions becoming tools for senior members to control and extort junior members instead of tools for employees to combat bad employers.
Bargaining fees aren't necessarily about rarely-used services, but also the mere fact that a union shop will pay more and have better working conditions for everyone whether they're union or not. I suppose it varies from place to place; my workplace's union has pretty reasonable bargaining fees and they put a lot of effort into wages and basic worker rights. The fact that some unions are pretty terrible shouldn't be a reason to undermine the stability of all unions everywhere, basically.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11774 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:52 pm »

Amusingly, the one time I had to pay for a uniform, I was glad to do so because it was both relatively inexpensive and much, much better-suited to the work than anything I could have provided myself.

And yeah, I know that it's just as dangerous to try to tear down the established norm of unions, but it pisses me right off that they've turned into the same shit that they were created to combat.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1342