Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 84272 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #435 on: January 16, 2015, 04:34:10 am »

can we have more than one guy, for me at least because one of the "me"'s is an AI unit?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: just saw the no humans rule.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 05:18:42 am by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 16, 2015, 04:40:18 am »

Sorta wondering why a fighter pilot would have 27 tagged onto his name.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #437 on: January 16, 2015, 04:45:45 am »

Sorta wondering why a fighter pilot would have 27 tagged onto his name.
*fine* no 27. just. AceWing
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 16, 2015, 05:06:07 am »

I'm gonna drop out.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #439 on: January 16, 2015, 05:10:59 am »

is it ok for me to publish the story on Wattpad with full credits to you?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 16, 2015, 05:13:03 am »

Um.. Why exactly would you need/want to do that in the first place?

blazing glory

« Reply #441 on: January 16, 2015, 05:16:54 am »

is it ok for me to publish the story on Wattpad with full credits to you?

I officially decree you in my list of forum member quirks as bizarre.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #442 on: January 16, 2015, 05:20:12 am »

i could explain, but... ok, what do you want me to explain? pm me

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 16, 2015, 05:38:19 am »

Explain in the thread, this is a group rp.

Why?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 16, 2015, 05:41:46 am »

A TL;DR version of the AI classification lore since I don't feel like typing the actual AI Collective lore until we decide on a ship is:

Alphas are several times smarter then a human. As in several Singularity smarter, too smart for a human (or lesser AI) to comprehend.

Betas are also several times smarter then a human, although they tend to be somewhat lower then a Alpha but considerably more specialized.

Cetas are highly specialized and one or two times smarter then a human.

Deltas are about human intelligence, however they are absurdly specialized towards whatever they are interested in/programmed to be interested in.

Everything lower is decreasing in intelligence, most drones are Epsilon Grade, excluding Drone Queens, who are always at least a Beta.

I like how the progression (regression?) is A, B, whale, D, E. Did Charlie not possess enough gravitas?

So, Y'ALL NEED MORE SKILLS.

What? Skills? I thought they were throwing us into an event horizon precisely because we were shit at things and thus entirely expendable. Why would you throw anybody competent or halfway needed by society in there? They probably thought better of it after the first three times they tried it at the very latest.

Speaking of, have they tried probes? And if those didn't work or emerge somewhere else in the universe, why do they think sending people into it is anything but a monumentally stupid idea and a waste of resources and gumption that could be better used in the salt mines of Paradise-27a?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 16, 2015, 05:48:54 am »

I felt like Charlie was weird compared to Alpha, Beta, and Delta. Ceta fits better. So it goes Alpha, Bets, Ceta, Delta. Stuff below human intelligence gets the longer names like Epsilon. Most AI like efficiency, so having an excessively long classification is a subtle insult at the stupid AI types by the smart ones.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 05:52:12 am by Kevak »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 16, 2015, 06:07:41 am »

I felt like Charlie was weird compared to Alpha, Beta, and Delta. Ceta fits better. So it goes Alpha, Bets, Ceta, Delta. Stuff below human intelligence gets the longer names like Epsilon. Most AI like efficiency, so having an excessively long classification is a subtle insult at the stupid AI types by the smart ones.

How about 0, 1, 10, 11, 100 (Zero, One, One-Zero, One-One, One-Zero-Zero) instead? Could also have top-level AIs hog binary codes as personal identifiers for themselves while forcing longer, more elaborate (and for the lowest rungs, obeying the naming conventions of other races with alphanumeric and/or exotic symbols added for extra fun) names, with AIs-non-grata (even after being reprogrammed for their transgressions) being forced to stick with a name that's a 1024x1024 32-bit bitmap full of rainbow-colored noise as punishment and/or identification.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 16, 2015, 11:49:10 am »

Alright, from what I understand, here's some potential jobs of everyone who submitted sheets.

Indigo Diadem (Kj1225), in charge of security and armory, expert on studying new cultures
Averus_Salamoth (Pencil_Art) Biologist, expert chemist
Cathelyn (Arcvasti) Biological surveyer, expert genetic engineer/analyst
S4 (Tiruin) Ship's doctor, expert in both xenobiology (studying unknown life forms) and medicine (in a wide variety of species)
Jiggle (LuckyKobold), engineer and (when need be) mechanic
Sound-Glorious-And-Bring-New-Life-Unto-Creation (Dorisdwarf) diplomat, communicator, negotiator

Everyone else either hasn't submitted a sheet yet, or didn't include any skills (or just athletic/combat skills only). Unless I missed someone.

Err, Hugo?
People aren't limited by how skilled they are--in reality, too. While society may run on the case of 'required knowledge', that is not how the person is...constructed, so to say. One may be skilled in retail, yet be able to diffuse a situation where an armed and crazed robber barges into the store because of their knowledge and experience in communication (though unlisted). :P

Make leeway for a trial by fire, is what I'm saying. Given the discussions now--we may be dangerously verging on analysis paralysis, wherein one goes too much into the details that the fleshed out version is...akin to the concept of 'best on paper'.
In this case, "able to diffuse a tense situation" would also be on the skill list of the hypothetical retailer. Though there is room for hidden depths, I suppose. It's just ATM it looks like we have mostly fighters etc. and I think some people simply forgot the other skills after putting down their racial abilities.

What? Skills? I thought they were throwing us into an event horizon precisely because we were shit at things and thus entirely expendable. Why would you throw anybody competent or halfway needed by society in there? They probably thought better of it after the first three times they tried it at the very latest.

Speaking of, have they tried probes? And if those didn't work or emerge somewhere else in the universe, why do they think sending people into it is anything but a monumentally stupid idea and a waste of resources and gumption that could be better used in the salt mines of Paradise-27a?

Somewhere I stated that no one had ever flown into it deliberately before, but they had tried many probes in the past.
FAKEDIT: It was in the pitch on the Gaming Block thread
The players are on a ship headed on an expedition into "The Dark Star," a huge event horizon that seems to have far less mass than a black hole should have. Nothing that's gone into it has ever been heard from again, though aside from probes no one's ever intentionally flown into it.

So, the entire thing banks on the fact that this is something no one has ever tried before, so people going in prepared might have a chance. If they just wanted to get rid of unimportant people, why would they bother with the pretense of an expedition in the first place? That only makes sense if the person they were trying to get rid of was some kind of scientific authority or other figure with too much influence to simply assassinate. Everyone else thinks it's a suicide mission, but the entities funding/supplying this have been convinced that there's a small chance at least they'll get a return on their investment. Let's assume some bright spark pitched the idea, and the crew are volunteers unless otherwise stated.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:58:23 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 16, 2015, 12:00:24 pm »

I'm gonna drop out.
You sure? An infamous pirate might have picked up a lot of interesting know-how over his career, or might have used his ways to convince people to let him join.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:33 pm »

How about 0, 1, 10, 11, 100 (Zero, One, One-Zero, One-One, One-Zero-Zero) instead? Could also have top-level AIs hog binary codes as personal identifiers for themselves while forcing longer, more elaborate (and for the lowest rungs, obeying the naming conventions of other races with alphanumeric and/or exotic symbols added for extra fun) names, with AIs-non-grata (even after being reprogrammed for their transgressions) being forced to stick with a name that's a 1024x1024 32-bit bitmap full of rainbow-colored noise as punishment and/or identification.
Because that would be boring sounding. (Also the AI run on quantum computers, making them trinary, not binary.)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46