Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 84249 times)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #315 on: January 11, 2015, 07:17:51 pm »

As long as it's engines match it. I don't want to pilot a tank.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 11, 2015, 07:22:07 pm »

So, now that we're 20+ pages into the preparations, I just want to say one thing:

Since there's no way of knowing what you may find on the other side without going in, it's entirely possible to prepare for the wrong thing and screw yourselves over, though if you do you'll probably be able to improvise something. I will neither confirm nor deny anything, but what guesses/expectations/speculations do people have so far?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 11, 2015, 07:23:40 pm »

Powerful engines are needed. Although we should have combat engines and fuel efficient engines.

And I'm expecting the need to have a very very resilient and adaptable ship.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 11, 2015, 07:25:36 pm »

Powerful engines are needed. Although we should have combat engines and fuel efficient engines.

And I'm expecting the need to have a very very resilient and adaptable ship.
1+

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 11, 2015, 07:30:23 pm »

Why do you think I keep pushing for a powerful shield generator, a hugeass sensory array, a fuckton of refundancies, and a dedicated drone production facility?
You're pushing for something that just isn't likely because we're a small expeditionary force that's going on what's basically a suicide mission.
*nudge*
Y'all are overthinking things which are easily settled by the GM.

But to nitpick: There should really stop overlooking technological improvement. It's not the size--but the utility and magnitude the machine has as an output. Like the development of a cellphone, as a very simple example. Before, it was big. Palm-sized was out of the question. That goes the same for various other ideas: its treating something as it was just discovered!
Armor can be quantified down to a lesser surface area and bulk if you consider its composition--before kevlar, was steel (as a very crude example), yet we have different uses of both. Before well-made iron, was bronze, and yet in the current time, 'iron' is considered a ton better than bronze. :P

Then consider what we're talking about. Think: the size of the Earth, to the Sun.
Then consider what hypothetical distance we're talking about, and the general manner to which it may be measured accurately--then input several factors which would base the whole thing into perspective.

...All these things shouldn't be quibbled about piecemeal. It should be left to the GM. All we should worry about, is what exists in the current world, or we'll be spread out in all the information existing at present. We should settle for general information, like the base standard by which a spacecraft cannot be affected by...say, EMP.

What I'm saying is, there's a large and various gap between meanings between the discussions here, and terms of size have little respect towards the enormity of our goal when you consider futuristic technology: anything is possible, however this should be, and is all within the GM's scope. Leave the nitty gritty bits to the GM. :3

PPE: Ohey 3 replies, and Hugo speaks. Woo!
...And Hugo got the point in lesser words than this. Mmph ._.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 11, 2015, 08:11:58 pm »

So, now that we're 20+ pages into the preparations, I just want to say one thing:

Since there's no way of knowing what you may find on the other side without going in, it's entirely possible to prepare for the wrong thing and screw yourselves over, though if you do you'll probably be able to improvise something. I will neither confirm nor deny anything, but what guesses/expectations/speculations do people have so far?
To be honest I'm expecting this to run a bit like Star Trek.

I also expect Hugo to have a bit where we find humans and stuff happens.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 11, 2015, 08:53:57 pm »

Why not just give the ship a cloaking device and make it very fast without any major focus on weaponry besides boarding drones and Kevak's mobile turrets, We are almost certainly going to be outnumbered every fight we enter so why not specialize in simply outrunning our enemy and getting behind enemy lines while being near impossible to see or target, Thus making us near invincible.Once we add salvaging and drone manufacturing facilities we will have an enormous army of combat drones and once we start boarding and taking enemy ships we shall be in possession of an automated fleet, Thus making us fully invincible to the point were we can fulfill insane/useless suggestions such as my boarding hook and ramming ideas without fear of major setbacks. We shall then proceed to develop a vast armada, shall conquer and enslave the residents of the Dark Star and finally we shall be in place to conquer the entire multiverse and to rewrite the laws of physics making star wars style battles completely and entirely possible. I now cannot feel my fingers and am sorry for being insane one last time, But we should equip at least one scouting drone with a Top-hat and Harpoon, So as to maximize its combat efficiency against space whales.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 11, 2015, 08:58:02 pm »

First reason. We have no idea what enemy sensors are capable of so we have no idea if our cloak would even work.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 11, 2015, 08:59:25 pm »

Not necessarily an invisible cloak just something to cut off any energy/heat signatures or disperse them to the point were the enemy doesn't know what to shoot at.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2015, 09:01:59 pm »

Fair Enough, Can we implement the other ideas?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2015, 09:06:28 pm »

The ramming? Ramming is a bad idea on a hollow ship. So no. Rewriting physics is something that a T5 or greater civ could do. We are early T1 from what I understand. An army of drones is plausible and advantageous, less crew deaths and everything can be scrapped for parts and materials for more drones. I don't think enslaving the occupants will work. We want a considerable amount of weaponry. We want a considerable amount of engine power. We want a considerable amount of armor and shielding. I Highly advise a dedicated drone manufactory to cut down on costs and power use, as well as to increase quality of drones, we appear to be planning on relying on them heavily.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 11, 2015, 09:09:49 pm »

What of the Hook drone with a Top Hat and local enslavement?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 11, 2015, 09:15:47 pm »

Quote from: Kevak
I don't think enslaving the occupants will work.

I decided not to even acknowledge the crazy.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 11, 2015, 09:19:42 pm »

Can we at least give the AI's head monitor board a Top Hat?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46