Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 84261 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #300 on: January 11, 2015, 06:26:25 pm »

Turrets can't change position though. If the enemy comes in from below and our turrets below are damaged already or we have less below and our engine to turn down is gone then he can gut us. We need to be able to maneuver to ensure we can always present the most firepower possible towards the enemy.

I have no objections to tones of engines just make it so every engine is capable of turning us in any direct if required so that no matter what engines an enemy might knock out we're always capable of a full field of maneuvers.
Hum.. The turrets unable to move thing gives me an idea. Parasite drone turrets that can hop off and move to different latch points on demand. Or just act as standard Attack Drones.

That's all assuming our ship is big and hulky (or at least unable to dodge, or have internal repairs) >.> instead of something very agile, maneuverable, and staffed with a crack team of elites. :P

We don't need a giant ship for this mission, as the size as well as what's discussed in it would lead to its utility. Considering the nature of this mission, something akin to a light, yet specialized vessel would be best.
Bit hard to dodge lasers or completely dark ballistic munitions. Dodging in space is iffy. Combat is decided similar to submarine warfare. Whoever sees the enemy first shoots first, and whoever shoots first wins.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 11, 2015, 06:35:58 pm »

Pft not if you have a good pilot, let them fire first then I'll fly circles around them so fast it'll make them puke.

But my point stands, big or small ship make sure every engine can turn us in any direction. Whether we can repair it or not we don't qwanna find ourself unable to maneuver in certain directions due to the loss of an engine.
We won't live long enough to repair it.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 11, 2015, 06:40:16 pm »

Pft not if you have a good pilot, let them fire first then I'll fly circles around them so fast it'll make them puke.

But my point stands, big or small ship make sure every engine can turn us in any direction. Whether we can repair it or not we don't qwanna find ourself unable to maneuver in certain directions due to the loss of an engine.
We also need to consider point defense, or at least any kind of countermeasure to disrupt weaponry systems used against spacecraft. :P

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 11, 2015, 06:40:35 pm »

Turrets can't change position though. If the enemy comes in from below and our turrets below are damaged already or we have less below and our engine to turn down is gone then he can gut us. We need to be able to maneuver to ensure we can always present the most firepower possible towards the enemy.

I have no objections to tones of engines just make it so every engine is capable of turning us in any direct if required so that no matter what engines an enemy might knock out we're always capable of a full field of maneuvers.
Hum.. The turrets unable to move thing gives me an idea. Parasite drone turrets that can hop off and move to different latch points on demand. Or just act as standard attack drones
that is a great idea. With reconfigurable drone  turrets we could have a smaller amount of engines and just have bigger ones but I still think the engines should have omnidirectional capacity

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 11, 2015, 06:42:07 pm »

Our idea from days ago was 2 different weapons systems.

One using missile and pulse canons.
A second with an even mix of PDL and PDG.

Lace the entire hull from end to end with both so that no matter what directions we're attacked from we can defend ourselves then if we take damage I can maneuver us to present whatever area has the most functional weapons to the enemy.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 11, 2015, 06:43:34 pm »

Lasers aren't physically possible to dodge and if you can't see the bullets, you can't dodge them.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 11, 2015, 06:50:09 pm »

Sensors can detect a weapons launch and I don't need to be able to see it.
I know where it's going already, it's coming directly at us all I need to do is change our course to give us a reasonable chance of evading the shot because it was aimed at where we were going so the moment I alter course then the enemy has missed.

The real challenge will be evading enemy fire will still allowing us to hammer the enemy in return.

Unless they can read my mind before I even know I need to dodge or they get lucky then it's purely a matter of quick reactions and my character amongst other things is a blockade runner, he's been under fire many times and always come through it intact.
Maneuvering in space is one of his greatest skills.
Caine's law.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 11, 2015, 06:51:13 pm »

Lasers aren't physically possible to dodge and if you can't see the bullets, you can't dodge them.
Except preemptively (by making oneself harder to target/hit). But yeah, by the time you see a laser, it's hit you.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 11, 2015, 06:52:20 pm »

Sensors warn me the enemy weapons are being charged. I can evade before it's fired as long as our sensors work.
Caine's law.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 11, 2015, 07:01:55 pm »

Lasers don't charge in real life. You can't detect a shot before it hits.

Bullets will not fly directly at you. They will target an area a considerable distance in front of you due to the distances involved. You also will be unable to spot a launch. The vacuum has no muzzle flare.

You also can't see the ships without a fuckhuge sensor array. We are' fighting from a distance of yards. We are fighting from a distance of hundreds to thousands of kilometers.

You'll have a major problem firing back once you've been hit by a railgun round moving at .2 the speed of light.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 11, 2015, 07:04:41 pm »

Then we've ready lost because 1 ship against an enemy empire in his own territory is suicide. We can't ambush every enemy ship were going to get attacked and if we can't dodge then we're going to die.

They can send thousands of ships against our one. So either we have sensors to detect enemy weapons or we die.
Caine's law.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 11, 2015, 07:11:00 pm »

Why do you think I keep pushing for a powerful shield generator, a hugeass sensory array, a fuckton of refundancies, and a dedicated drone production facility?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 11, 2015, 07:15:22 pm »

I'm not against it.

Make it manueverable, give it plenty of weapons, strong engines, shields, hull and sensors and I'm happy I don't care about size.

Smaller and more advanced is preferable though.
Caine's law.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 11, 2015, 07:16:45 pm »

I personally vote for a fuckton of armor also.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 11, 2015, 07:17:23 pm »

Why do you think I keep pushing for a powerful shield generator, a hugeass sensory array, a fuckton of refundancies, and a dedicated drone production facility?
You're pushing for something that just isn't likely because we're a small expeditionary force that's going on what's basically a suicide mission.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46