Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 84254 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2015, 03:00:57 pm »

Unfortunately, as I have said before, I will be offline for about a week.

So far I have this:

First Level:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second Level (Sorry for random floating bits, you can't rub out stuff as far as I'm aware:

Both levels together!:

Gooderthangood

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Graphics? What Graphics?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2015, 04:05:14 pm »

Hello. I sort of liked the Idea of making an ASCII ship design, so yeah. Here's mine.

Spoiler: SHIP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:08:38 pm by Gooderthangood »
Today is a day in which I think to do things... tomorrow.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2015, 04:07:39 pm »

Hello. I sort of liked the Idea of making an ASCII ship design, so yeah. Here's mine.

Spoiler: SHIP (click to show/hide)
The image is broken :(
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gooderthangood

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Graphics? What Graphics?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2015, 04:09:17 pm »

Now it isn't.
Today is a day in which I think to do things... tomorrow.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2015, 05:20:01 pm »

If all the engines will be on one floor, add two new engines. Put one on the second floor and another on the floor below the main floor so we can turn up/down.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 11, 2015, 05:39:18 pm »

Being reliant on a specific engine to turn up or down is a major weakness. Losing a single engine then does a lot of damage, better to have the main engine block capable of doing it.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 11, 2015, 05:49:16 pm »

The main block is set up to only allow left and right. If we lose one of those then we lose major movement. Personally I recommend 17 engines in a staggered format, but people apparently want a small ship.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 11, 2015, 05:52:33 pm »

Hey I wanted a generation ship, that would provide plenty of space. But better to design an engine that can be fired in different anglews so every engine can be used to turn us in any direction rather then rely on specific engines for a job and risk being crippled by a piece of faulty gear.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 11, 2015, 05:58:06 pm »

The turning/rotational engines don't necessarily have to be big/powerful enough to push the ship to full speed: just strong enough to rotate it in a timely manner.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 11, 2015, 06:00:19 pm »

Still having a specific engine to make us turn up is a serious weakness. All an enemy ship has to do is hit that one engine then attack us from above or hit the one that allows us to turn down then attack from below and we're sitting ducks.

If I'm attacking us the first thing I'm gonna do is knock out those 2 engines then i can finish you off any time I like.
Caine's law.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 11, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »

1) lots and lots of little engines to turn etc is my recommendation. Allows more precision as well as redundancy (though there's inherent physical limits on quick/fine movement due to the ship's size).

2) If there are weapons on turrets, then they can face and fire upon enemies in almost any direction.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2015, 06:09:57 pm »

1) lots and lots of little engines to turn etc is my recommendation. Allows more precision as well as redundancy (though there's inherent physical limits on quick/fine movement due to the ship's size).
This is practically what I was thinking, too.
Let's debate major engines which are responsible for ship-wide movement instead of the maneuvering jets, which should be implied to be a part of our ship and thus also connected to the AI...for brevity.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2015, 06:11:01 pm »

Turrets can't change position though. If the enemy comes in from below and our turrets below are damaged already or we have less below and our engine to turn down is gone then he can gut us. We need to be able to maneuver to ensure we can always present the most firepower possible towards the enemy.

I have no objections to tones of engines just make it so every engine is capable of turning us in any direct if required so that no matter what engines an enemy might knock out we're always capable of a full field of maneuvers.
Caine's law.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 11, 2015, 06:17:25 pm »

Turrets can't change position though. If the enemy comes in from below and our turrets below are damaged already or we have less below and our engine to turn down is gone then he can gut us. We need to be able to maneuver to ensure we can always present the most firepower possible towards the enemy.

I have no objections to tones of engines just make it so every engine is capable of turning us in any direct if required so that no matter what engines an enemy might knock out we're always capable of a full field of maneuvers.
I heartily agree to this point

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 11, 2015, 06:20:52 pm »

That's all assuming our ship is big and hulky (or at least unable to dodge, or have internal repairs) >.> instead of something very agile, maneuverable, and staffed with a crack team of elites. :P

We don't need a giant ship for this mission, as the size as well as what's discussed in it would lead to its utility. Considering the nature of this mission, something akin to a light, yet specialized vessel would be best.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46