Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 84284 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #270 on: January 11, 2015, 03:36:17 am »

This is a colab mission. If the AI really needs to have several crewmen detained because they don't know how space works and attempt to sabotage the mission, I will be sorely disappointed.
No, you're just an asshole if it comes to that and I will gleefully support your removal from the game if you DO try that.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 11, 2015, 04:02:03 am »

It's been stated multiple times by the GM we are doing Hard Scifi. Having someone detained because they try ramming the ship into another ship is a perfectly IC reason. I'm interested in the game not ending in a cataclysmic explosion because someone decided it would be a good idea to try crashing into another ship. Ramming only works when you aren't at a relativistic speed compared to the enemy. Although at that point, it's easier to disable their engines and board via dronepods.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 11, 2015, 04:45:30 am »

Hey, I'd just like to point out that combat will not be taking place at relativistic speeds. It takes, according to Hugo, months of constant acceleration to reach the relativistic speeds needed to hit FTL. This has the side effect of meaning that sneaking up on a planetary system is impossible, since it also takes months to slow down to interplanetary speeds. Another curious side effect is that it probably isn't particularly worth going to FTL to travel between adjacent systems (2-4 LY), assuming we're hitting a major fraction of C and that we have some form of cryogenic sleep.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2015, 05:14:56 am »

Ramming still isn't viable. Battles will still take place at hundreds to thousands of kilometers apart due to a complete lack of a max range in space. (Difficulty is seeing the enemy at the distance and creating a firing solution.) Since we clearly aren't a ship built for ramming based on how we lack absurdly powerful engines, hundreds of layers of armor, and multiple layers of shielding, and have a bunch of hollow spaces for labs, cargo, living spaces, and other things. I'd go ahead and say it isn't plausible. Ramming only really makes sense if you're not worried about damage to your own ship and if you have enough fuel and powerful enough engines to catch up to the enemy. In space, people can fly forever in a direction. Combat is pretty hard to get into if you aren't defending something specific. Nothing holds you in one spot.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2015, 10:46:12 am »

Whum x_x So my sheet is done and ok'd through PM...because I'm sick and stuff and blargh not posting it here.

Did I miss anything recently?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 11, 2015, 10:53:46 am »

not really, just more ship debates and some updates on the ascii map that's being made.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:12 am »

I'm still trying to figure out why any of us are going when the AI is apparently going to do everything.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 11, 2015, 11:27:29 am »

I'm still trying to figure out why any of us are going when the AI is apparently going to do everything.
Think of it like your nervous system.
That's like saying 'why should I breathe when my mind can handle that' :P
While the AI can handle many tasks which require constant input/output, the crew is pretty much vital for doing everything else outside of the regular scope of actions one may do when limited by mechanical constraints.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 11, 2015, 11:28:49 am »

It has drones for that work as well. At this point our only role is going to be watching the ship run itself.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 11, 2015, 11:43:45 am »

Don't forget the secret tunnels!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2015, 12:39:55 pm »

Is this still open for characters?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2015, 12:44:13 pm »

As far as I know--yes, we have 8 in thread, and I'm still working on mine :P so 9 in total before you asked.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 11, 2015, 01:02:53 pm »

Ramming still isn't viable. Battles will still take place at hundreds to thousands of kilometers apart due to a complete lack of a max range in space. (Difficulty is seeing the enemy at the distance and creating a firing solution.) Since we clearly aren't a ship built for ramming based on how we lack absurdly powerful engines, hundreds of layers of armor, and multiple layers of shielding, and have a bunch of hollow spaces for labs, cargo, living spaces, and other things. I'd go ahead and say it isn't plausible. Ramming only really makes sense if you're not worried about damage to your own ship and if you have enough fuel and powerful enough engines to catch up to the enemy. In space, people can fly forever in a direction. Combat is pretty hard to get into if you aren't defending something specific. Nothing holds you in one spot.
That doesn't change the fact that you're being a prick for people having fun out side of the actual game that hasn't even started yet. If they were doing stupid things in character then I'd put them down for watching but out of character is the place for goofiness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2015, 01:13:03 pm »

That doesn't change the fact that you're being a prick for people having fun out side of the actual game that hasn't even started yet. If they were doing stupid things in character then I'd put them down for watching but out of character is the place for goofiness.
Whuh? Kevak seems to be pretty much explaining things here.

Also of note: Battles given the technological leaps aren't in the 'ocular visual' range anymore. We're talking miles upon miles of distance--so ramming...really is not a feasible idea here.
Unless you're using a tactic akin to an ancient fireship. :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2015, 01:22:21 pm »

The age old problem of the internet: not being able to tell if someone meant something seriously or not.

Yes. I'm hoping we can get at least 12.

It has drones for that work as well. At this point our only role is going to be watching the ship run itself.
The AI is just one mind: it can't think of everything (and the entire mission would be lost if something happened to the only mind on board). Engineers can work with the AI (or in its absence) to figure out solutions to technical problems (and if the ship's going to have manufacturing capabilities, engineers can make stuff.) AI might be able to collect data on its own, but it takes people with scientific expertise to fully analyze it and do the lab work (and verify/falsify each other's conclusions). AI can't control anything that it cannot communicate with, such as in an area with interference or blockage of signals, in which case an away team would be needed (or if something required someone's expertise on-site). If the ship were to be boarded, there's only so much the interior systems can do about it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46