Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 84323 times)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 09:09:59 pm »

Then if the AI is damaged or malfunctions the drones are also compromised and we're on a ship we can't operate.
By all means have the systems but we need a full conventional crew as well, what if an electronic storm hits and knocks out machines? Or an enemy uses an EMP weapons?

I'm bringing my pirate crew along either way because I'm uncomfortable with a purely machine based crew.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 09:10:18 pm »

I'm interested in here.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 09:11:34 pm »

Well, obviously the ship would be manual control as well as AI control, but the AI shoooould be hardened to the point that it won't get disrupted by electricity.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 09:12:31 pm »

Doesn't prevent outside interference though. I'd rather the AI be a backup then have full control at all times.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 09:16:23 pm »

oOOOH, might be interested in playing this.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 09:20:33 pm »

Don't worry USEC the crew will be mostly not pirates I only intend like 20 or so all told. Out of a crew of probably hundreds plus the armed drones and the AI systems able to control the ship, We'd stand no possible hope of taking over.

I'm planning more of a Han Solo swagger style pirate then the kill, rape, and plunder style as well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:27:37 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 09:32:23 pm »

This looks fun although I don't know what I am going to be but  I will figure out soon ok

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 09:59:29 pm »

I'm leaning towards having no NPCs, but if you guys insist there can be some. It seems more likely there'd be a smaller crew, dozens maybe, if that, rather than hundreds. But it's open for discussion.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 10:03:00 pm »

No NPC doesn't really make sense. What if somebody gets sick or hurt and can't do his job? A ship has an enormous number of jobs to do on it and we have no idea what we might run into.
How can we explore the unknown with so few people that a village of space farmers could do us in?

Half a dozen people can't have hundreds of skill sets and just saying " the ai does all the work while we take a nap " would get boring fast.
Caine's law.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:28 pm »

Depends on the size of the ship, which we haven't decided on yet. A small quick minimalistic ship could totally have a crew of maybe half a dozen.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 10:06:49 pm »

An AI would never settle for a minimalistic ship.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 10:08:15 pm »

And it'd be defenseless, have no facilities for experiments or research.

If we're going AI I'd go for something generation ship type. We're on a long term trip with no idea when or if we're going back after all.
Caine's law.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 10:09:14 pm »

No NPC doesn't really make sense. What if somebody gets sick or hurt and can't do his job? A ship has an enormous number of jobs to do on it and we have no idea what we might run into.
How can we explore the unknown with so few people that a village of space farmers could do us in?

Half a dozen people can't have hundreds of skill sets and just saying " the ai does all the work while we take a nap " would get boring fast.
Depends on the size of the ship, which we haven't decided on yet. A small quick minimalistic ship could totally have a crew of maybe half a dozen.
Also depends on how many players we get.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 10:20:08 pm »

Hi there kevak

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 10:21:33 pm »

I dunno I still think a nice big well populated generation ship is more fun. Plenty of variety and space for hilarity to ensue.
Caine's law.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46