Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 82206 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2015, 06:44:12 pm »

(Mimes talking with hand)

"And, and, and, and, and."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »

Exactly.

It's a rather large amount of things. For a /Minimum/

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2015, 06:46:47 pm »

Really, talking like we aren't in a science fiction setting where we likely have many reasons as to why we don't need these giant ships.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2015, 06:47:35 pm »

Hugo's said we're doing Hard Scifi.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2015, 06:51:33 pm »

Then I guess I'll need to totally change my character if I want to stay in because it relies on actual scifi.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2015, 06:51:55 pm »

Thinking of making a character sheet. Though I am going to be offline for a week beginning on Monday so might not be a good idea.

Well, anyway, here goes.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:13:09 pm by Pencil_Art »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2015, 06:59:39 pm »

You doooo realize how big a kilometer is right?

Also modern spaceships are smaller then tiny.

And naval ships are a very poor representation of spaceships.

Don't use them as an example.

Ship'll need a massive hydroponics bay to support the oxygen production required for the organics. Think several times larger then a football field size as a bare minimum. Not to mention food production. And the machinery to harvest fuel and process it. And weapons. And reactors. And omnidirectional engines, and crew quarters. And harddrive storage for AI. And shield generators. And mining equipment and ore processing. And refineries. And production equipment. And more reactors. And scientific equipment and labs. And shuttles. And hangers for the shuttles. And an armory for personal weapons. And ammo production facilities for ship based weapons. And systems for making salvaged components modular. And reducing salvaged parts into materials. And a fuckton of other stuff. Like life support redundancies. And electronic hardening. And redundancies for failed systems. And other stuff. Like solar panels. And alternate movement systems. Like solar sails. And we'll need Huge heat radiation fins to prevent everyone from boiling alive.

That's just bare minimum. This ship is intended to be self sufficient without resupply from anywhere besides our own material retrieval. We need a big ship.

Most of this stuff is indeed the bare minimum if we want to create a ship that can harvest resources to build itself up but I decided to cross out a few things that aren't absolute necessities. I will provide an explanation for each of them

Shield generators: Although they are definitely very useful they aren't technically absolutely necessary, the hull should be able to tank some damage although not a lot of it.

more reactors: you don't need to mention reactors twice. Also it may operate on an FTL style power managment system ( from the videogame "FTL")where you have to be choosy about how much power you need to put into a system due to the limited amount of power a reactor has.

Shuttles and hangars: Ships that are capable of carrying other ships are a huge luxury. We'll just have to land our mothership on planets by itself rather than sending a small ferry to it.

Armory: weapons and stuff can just be stored williy nilly such as in the crew quarters or lying on the floor. I know this is messy, disorganized and possibly dangerous but it is possible to have a ship with no armory.

redundancies: I agree that they are very important but they aren't vital, they're called redundancies for a reason

alternate movement: The fact that there is alternate in the title is a huge indicator. Although it is definitely more efficient to use solar sails instead of rocket fuel I must remind you that this list is about bare necessities. The reason why I object to the solar sails is because I don't believe those can be launched into FTL, especially since the main source of thrust comes from light and we are trying to be faster than it.

solar panels: This one I'm on the fence about. Although some famous aircraft such as rocket ships and space shuttles don't have solar panels. It is incredibly obvious that it is more efficient to just install solar panels than to pack 5 lightyears worth of fuel.

Other than these things I think your list was very spot on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:01:43 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2015, 07:11:19 pm »

(Ninja'd 3 times)

Heavily leaning towards hard sci fi (so the grown, organic spaceships of that one race are probably out). I'm willing to accept some assumptions on smaller and more efficient setups of currently known processes. Life support and food may not require an area that large, depending on the biochemistry of the plants involved, mechanical/artificial means of recycling breathable gas, the size the crew ends up being, or crew members with cybernetics to offset chemical energy needs. And the possibility of suspended animation/hibernation to reduce energy requirements when certain personnel aren't needed. Then there's the issue of what said crew members breathe, if the ship has to accommodate crew who breath different gasses, etc.

Especially given AI and robots, a crew of hundreds or even dozens is unnecessary to run the ship. And since it would be seen by most (if not all) as a likely suicide mission, the entities involved are probably not willing to expend a lot of personnel on it. So, the ship will likely have to support (at most) a few dozen people, and (at least) one dozen. Additionally, while I haven't seen any opposition to the idea so far, this being a government collab is not yet firmly decided. Or rather, since that's the likely direction, the nature of this collab is not yet decided. Did they all just decide it was worth a try, or did some scientist with a vision pitch the idea and gain their assistance (or some other motive?)

NOTE ON CHARACTERS: Race is important for background, and for the physical characteristics/likely limits of that character, but given the nature of this game, the character's individual description is what's most important.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2015, 07:14:01 pm »

Then I guess I'll need to totally change my character if I want to stay in because it relies on actual scifi.
Actually. Your species can very possibly exist based on current understanding of the physical laws of reality. It's just absurdly unlikely to evolve. However the universe is infinite and therefore it's certain. The majority of races submitted so far obviously are not a type 2 or higher civ, meaning there's unlikely to be any tech that can make it possible for smaller ships. Your species very possibly is barely type one, based on how it used people rather then robots to suppress an uprising. I personally recommend reading some Orion's Arm stuff to get an idea for how hard scifi works past a type 1 civ. The AI collective isn't type 2 based on how they don't have the capability to disrupt the event horizon. Which is implied for a type 2 civ to have.

Ship'll need a massive hydroponics bay to support the oxygen production required for the organics. Think several times larger then a football field size as a bare minimum. Not to mention food production. And the machinery to harvest fuel and process it. And weapons. And reactors. And omnidirectional engines, and crew quarters. And harddrive storage for AI. And shield generators. And mining equipment and ore processing. And refineries. And production equipment. And more reactors. And scientific equipment and labs. And shuttles. And hangers for the shuttles. And an armory for personal weapons. And ammo production facilities for ship based weapons. And systems for making salvaged components modular. And reducing salvaged parts into materials. And a fuckton of other stuff. Like life support redundancies. And electronic hardening. And redundancies for failed systems. And other stuff. Like solar panels. And alternate movement systems. Like solar sails. And we'll need Huge heat radiation fins to prevent everyone from boiling alive.

That's just bare minimum. This ship is intended to be self sufficient without resupply from anywhere besides our own material retrieval. We need a big ship.

Most of this stuff is indeed the bare minimum if we want to create a ship that can harvest resources to build itself up but I decided to cross out a few things that aren't absolute necessities. I will provide an explanation for each of them

Shield generators: Although they are definitely very useful they aren't technically absolutely necessary, the hull should be able to tank some damage although not a lot of it.

more reactors: you don't need to mention reactors twice. Also it may operate on an FTL style power managment system where you have to be choosy about how much power you need to put into a system due to the limited amount of power a reactor has.

Shuttles and hangars: Ships that are capable of carrying other ships are a huge luxury. We'll just have to land our mothership on planets by itself rather than sending a small ferry to it.

Armory: weapons and stuff can just be stored williy nilly such as in the crew quarters or lying on the floor. I know this is messy, disorganized and possibly dangerous but it is possible to have a ship with no armory.

redundancies: I agree that they are very important but they aren't vital, they're called redundancies for a reason

alternate movement: The fact that there is alternate in the title is a huge indicator. Although it is definitely more efficient to use solar sails instead of rocket fuel I must remind you that this list is about bare necessities. The reason why I object to the solar sails is because I don't believe those can be launched into FTL, especially since the main source of thrust comes from light and we are trying to be faster than it.

solar panels: This one I'm on the fence about. Although some famous aircraft such as rocket ships and space shuttles don't have solar panels. It is incredibly obvious that it is more efficient to just install solar panels than to pack 5 lightyears worth of fuel.
Other than these things I think your list was very spot on.
Shield generators don't just stop danage. They stop harmful radiation. Necessary to block that no matter where you are. As this is moving towards an event horizon, it'll need to block radiation and particles.

Why in the seven hells would you not have enough power to run everything? This ship needs to be self sufficient. Even a Ceta AI wouldn't use a ship with regular power failure. The more reactors is redundancy for damage. Reactors are hard to build.

Landing a ship built for space is not plausible. The reaction mass for getting a big ship off a planet is not plausable to acquire. And how do you intend to gather materials if we lack hangers to put small asteroids? We need both shuttles and hangers. A Ceta would not go on such a poorly designed ship. Even a drone bay is required at minimum.

Storing weapons willy nilly is flat out stupid. Few would willingly subject themselves to that level of danger.

Redundancies are Vital if the ship is to be self sustaining. Otherwise a single failure spells doom for the ship. A single fight. A single reactor damaged. A single power conduit destroyed. A single bulkhead breached.

Multiple forms of movement are necessary to conserve fuel. Solar sails allow a considerable amount of conservation if you don't mind going slow, conventional rockets are for combat and quick maneuvering, ion engines for interstellar void travel and transit between planetary bodies if you don't mind waiting. Sorta manditory to save fuel.

Solar panels are needed for sublight fuel efficiency. They can retract during superluminal travel.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2015, 07:17:56 pm »

I don't like hard scifi. If I wanted to play something based off real life in the possible future I'd find it. I want to play a game where aliens do cool shit in space.

blazing glory

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2015, 07:19:01 pm »

This is why I don't really like being in a Sci-Fi game with Kevak, at least for me it ends up too complicated.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:39 pm »

Just asking, since you wanted us to mention specific skills and abilities related to our character in addition to our general race description does that mean that we will have to worry about forgetting to mention specific "obvious" abilities that our race should have? For example I believe my guy should be able to form a dust cloud in a desert that obscures an enemies vision by flapping his wings very hard which kicks up dust. Would I have to specifically mention that in the character sheet or would you just let the action play out if it made sense to you?

Also I add that ability to make dust clouds to my character sheet. I haven't done it yet but I'm going to
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2015, 07:24:29 pm »

Dang my race is complicated to describe!

blazing glory

« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2015, 07:27:31 pm »

Actually I probably won't be joining, I don't have any ideas for a race and don't think I'll be getting any anytime soon.

EDIT: Original ideas at least.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:31:31 pm by blazing glory »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2015, 07:36:31 pm »

Why in the seven hells would you not have enough power to run everything? This ship needs to be self sufficient. Even a Ceta AI wouldn't use a ship with regular power failure.
Then don't.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46