Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 82047 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Finally found enough time to write the AI.

Incoming textwalls:

Spoiler: Origins and History: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AI Grades: (click to show/hide)

Here you go. I had to cut out and paste alien runes and then distort them into shape, but it dont look bad.

Nice description, Kevak, and also it looks like the ship shape is ship shape..... my horrible joke. Great 3-D art there.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Seeing the ship in its visual reproduction here, I'm still thinking of the 'ring' as...a small area of space, at around 1 'floor' in height.
It feels so...strange and small. But also so awesome to be in a ring (with the floor curving? :P Nah, obviously the architect would've "padded" it with armor so the interior of the ring would look 'straight')

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure the ring is actually for walking in. Probably is, now that I think of it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Not sure the ring is actually for walking in. Probably is, now that I think of it.
Or maybe its just me.

All spaceships I've encountered in fiction never had the cylindrical style of the ship we have now, so I'm unsure how to envision the inner rooms x3
Its very creative, mind you. :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Well, we have the ship, now just to sort out EuroDwarf's biology and Kevak's character. The former can possibly wait for the game thread, though I'd recommend she not need a temperature range so far removed from the others to survive. Unless she spends all her time in a self-contained suit, like S4.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Could always do a newborn Alphaif I don't end up with enough time to write up a character. That woould make sense too. No reason to risk a older AI on a potential suicide mission.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Seeing the ship in its visual reproduction here, I'm still thinking of the 'ring' as...a small area of space, at around 1 'floor' in height.
It feels so...strange and small. But also so awesome to be in a ring (with the floor curving? :P Nah, obviously the architect would've "padded" it with armor so the interior of the ring would look 'straight')
If you look real closely, you can see the edges of the interior floors on the side of the ring. The ring has 2 floors, and I included a crawl space and bilayered hull, too.

I had spare time, so I made an actual scaled model. That ship's about 400m long and 120m wide including the rings. (Well, actually due to a sketchup error, it's 400km long, but never mind that)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
  • alchemy too stronk pls nerf
    • View Profile

Well, we have the ship, now just to sort out EuroDwarf's biology and Kevak's character. The former can possibly wait for the game thread, though I'd recommend she not need a temperature range so far removed from the others to survive. Unless she spends all her time in a self-contained suit, like S4.

Okay, so I decided to say "fuck this" and removed the survival range, made it just say the reconstructing factors do not work in extreme temperatures (among few other things).

Still need to figure out liquid and gas that makes sense, though. And take notice of what the melting and boiling points' of these are. Obviously, gas' boiling point has to be lower than liquid's melting point.

Mercury doesn't make much sense as a respiratory fluid, a better alternative might be CO2, Methane, or perhaps HCN, if you're feeling adventurous.

Hugo suggested few days ago to replace mercury with either CO2, methane or HCN. The range of liquid state for these is:

CO2: −56.6 °C/−69.8 °F and −78.5 °C; −109.2 °F1
Methane: −182.5 °C/−296.4 °F and −161.49 °C/−258.68 °F
HCN: −14 to −12 °C/7 to 10 °F; and 25.6 to 26.6 °C/78.0 to 79.8 °F;

1This is not an error, it apparently sublimates. For those not nerdy enough to know what it means, or too lazy to Google, this is going from solid to gaseous state, without going through liquid state.

...I guess this is what happens you try to berealistic/hardSci-fi/actuallyresearch
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:02:04 am by EuropeanDorf »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

Yeah, solid carbon is dry ice and does this really cool-looking mist thing when exposed to room temperature heat.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By "fluid" I meant either liquid or gas. Both CO2 and Methane are gas at non-cryogenic temperatures. HCN can be a gas at slightly warm temperatures (by human standards), and presumably an alien might be adapted to breathe their required gas in liquid form if said liquid is only a little below the usual temperature. HCN can hypothetically be used for a wide variety of functions by alien biochemistry, though in Earth biochemistry it's highly toxic to nearly everything.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Or maybe its just me.

All spaceships I've encountered in fiction never had the cylindrical style of the ship we have now, so I'm unsure how to envision the inner rooms x3
Its very creative, mind you. :P

I'd imagine it'd be like a O'Neil Cylinder, see image below but think on a MUCH smaller scale.

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something like this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Though probably somewhat longer before the "horizon"

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Something like this?
Though probably somewhat longer before the "horizon"

Yes, and depending on the scale the 'Horizon' could be closer or further, at that size the ship would be about... say, the width of 1 1/2 to 2 WW2 Battleships? Probably a little less?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
  • alchemy too stronk pls nerf
    • View Profile

You have confused me a little with the fact it means either gas or liquid - since I've wouldn't guess that you mean gas by fluid.

Chemistry (and biology) isn't my good side, anyway, so if I can't figure out anything good, you're free to shove in suggest the pair.

EDIT: And randomly, it's 23:00, but nobody posted in few hours.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:01:28 pm by EuropeanDorf »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

The outer ring is 120m in diameter, and the inner ring is about 110.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46