Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 82111 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

It's probably best not to try and come up with a plausible reason why someone would physiologically require mercury and hydrochloride as primary components of the metabolism. Or how many interesting organic mercury compounds such a metabolism could produce (such as dimethylmercury subbing in for urea for an interesting twist).

You could have the atmosphere be a mix of chlorine (probably low concentration to limit reaction speeds), methane and methyl chlorides due to radiation catalyzing free radical reactions that would logically create these. There'd probably be other stuff in there, obviously, but since this is a species that drinks mercury (which would lead me to suspect there being Venusian-style oceans full of the stuff on the planet), plus some source of sulfur, phosphorus and all that other good stuff, but probably best not to get too preoccupied with the chemistry of it all. Anyhow, metabolism based on free radical reactions seems a bit interesting, truth be told, though I'd have to look up the energies of the reactions in question to come up with something reasonably novel, and if there's something I've learned from this game, it's that it's unwise to get yourself this highly invested in what may or may not be a throwaway concept.

Not that I'm not about to do it, obviously.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Just one thing: can you do one where the text on the side looks alien?
In main style I presume?

Additionally, alien text gonna be hard, since that was the photoshop text tool. I'll have a crack at it though, especially if you can point me somewhere that might help.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Try the Futurama one: http://www.dafont.com/futurama.font
Or someone's conlang font, if you can find one.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Time to collate and finalize the ship!
Exterior:
TheAelius has 125mm of indeterminate composite alloy comprising the hull outer layer, and a 40mm thick pressure hull beneath that, along with internal divisions. The AI core, main engines, and the front of the centrifugal zones have a 200mm ablative reinforced carbon nanomaterial coating to protect against space debris, and provide extra protection in a theoretical combat scenario, should any life existant beyond the Dark Star prove hostile. In addition, all exterior hull surfaces are painted with a thick white material, with a layer of metallic reflective paint on top, to assist with heat control and laser dispersal.

Other notable features of the hull include:
Drone racks along the exterior of the hull.
These racks are what the on-ship External Multi-Purpose Remote drones are stored on, simply attaching themself via rows of clamps onto the rails. This avoids the requirement for interior storage of these hefty pieces of equipment. These are also used for the heavy EVA gear for biological crew.
Minor Airlocks.
Apart from the main airlock in the rear of the ship, which is also the hangar bay, there are several smaller ones around the ship, each containing emergency-only omnispecies inflatable survival suits, for use in case of dangerous fire or damage preventing escape to the rest of the ship.
Plus a magnetic field generator located near the ship's geometric center. This consists of 2 large, powerful capacitors, between which charge is alternated to keep the field at a constant strength.

Is this acceptable so far?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I've always pictured the ship to be like those in Babylon 5.

...Where it had 'spinning' arms and such, instead of the fully cylindrical figure. :P

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was also what I thought.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this acceptable?
  • Purpose: exploratory vessel.
  • Internal gravity: centrifugally-achieved artificial gravity.
  • Power source: 3 fusion reactors, 2 main and one backup, to ensure ship operation and propulsion. Has low-grade hydrogen scoops for collecting particles when moving really fast, auxiliary solar power arrays to maintain ship systems in case reactors fail for some reason, or to save on fuel when within reasonable distance of a stellar body.
  • Propulsion: Fusion-powered main engines, which have some thrust-vectoring capability. Numerous thruster-ports located throughout the hull that use reactor byproduct gasses as propellant. 20x4x4m FTL drive requiring the ship to reach relativistic speeds to function.
  • Size: 300m long, 40m wide and tall.
  • Shape: a long cylinder, with rotating sections attached via arms to provide artificial gravity to crew quarters and certain facilities
  • Atmosphere-capable: Nope, needs to send shuttles/ROVs
  • Food stores: carefully managed, replenishment through hydroponics and a high degree of waste recycling. Crew may have personal life support to further increase efficiency
  • Hangar Capacity: 2 shuttles (max 10 crew), space plane design. Room for a small amount of ROVs/Drones. To save interior storage space, most ROVs/Drones (as well as some heavier EVA equipment) are stored on the hull, which is covered in rails for such things to attach to.
  • Airlocks: main one is hangar, located near the rear, but there are numerous smaller ones for accessibility/emergencies distributed evenly throughout the length.
  • Windows: imitations, displays with relaxing images on them.
  • Fabrication capability: Capable, with enough time and resources, of making nearly any part used in the ship (including replacements for factory equipment), as well as ROVs and drones. Engineers can program production of additional things. Not capable of producing the parts needed to repair a heavily damaged FTL drive, requires certain alloys to create parts for repairing heavily damaged reactors.
  • Corners: cut and smoothened to avoid injury.
  • Entertainment: dexterity and reflex-based videogames from Solflax Nine (the company, not the planet, easy mistake to make), mysterious room of creative alien exercise devices.
  • Vents: as many as fans.
  • Medbay: triage-oriented. Surgeries are robot-assisted. Drugs are mostly painkillers, coagulants, anticoagulants, that sort of thing, largely for addressing trauma. A variety of antibiotics is also available.
  • Life support: enough to sustain the existing crew as long as need be, may come under strain from any increases.
  • Sensors: a future equivalent of the Hubble Space Telescope (spectrometers, wide angle optical camera, that sort of thing), plus cameras, accelerometers and what have you. Basically any sensors involved with determining ship motion, temperature, fuel levels, internal climate, damage, all that good stuff. Lots of space for recorded data. Receivers arranged in rings around midsection of ship, to enable reception regardless of orientation.
  • Communication array: Many of the sensors double for this, since most things involve detecting EM waves or high-energy particles. The front of the ship contains a powerful transmission array for long-range scanning / long-distance signaling, needs to be pointed the right way to work properly.
  • Shielding: 125mm of indeterminate composite alloy comprising the hull outer layer, and a 40mm thick pressure hull beneath that, along with internal divisions. The midsection of the ship (where all the core systems are located) has a 200mm ablative reinforced carbon nanomaterial coating to protect against space debris, and provide extra protection in a theoretical combat scenario, should any life existant beyond the Dark Star prove hostile. All exterior hull surfaces are painted with a thick white material, with a layer of metallic reflective paint on top, to assist with heat control and laser dispersal. Additionally, it possesses a magnetic field generator located near the ship's geometric center. This consists of 2 large, powerful capacitors, between which charge is alternated to keep the field at a constant strength when in use.
  • Computer core, primary: 4mx2mx1m central computer bank (quantum) running life support and ship coordination algorithms with crew input. Not directly connected with secondary AI, non-sentient, systems highly secured and encrypted. Takes input from crew via a set of terminals, integrates received information from sensors into a cohesive whole, rendering it accessible through shipwide informative network.
  • Secondary AI: 2mx1mx1m black box quantum computer on loan from AI Collective, do not open under any circumstances, surrounded by 10mx4mx4m cooling system on loan from AI Collective, do not try to fix without AI's permission. Black box has dedicated start button on outside of cooling system (no shutdown button, however).
  • Space distribution: most is taken up by fabrication facilities and mining equipment should they come in handy - said facilities are placed in the central parts of the ship along with the reactor, propulsion system and telescope.
  • Mining equipment: Asteroid/comet mining suite, primarily ablative lasers and equipment mounted on ROVs/Drones. Capable of collecting vaporized minerals and imbibing them for separation/refinement
  • Personal quarter size per crew member: 27 cubic meters (exact dimensions vary). Can also be sealed to double as holding cells.
  • Laboratories: lab primarily meant for general material analysis and chemistry. Biological research also possible (biochemical reagents, glassware, pipettes and heating/cooling implements available). Contains a limited number of holding areas for moderately-sized alien life forms. Specialized lab facilities exist for whoever needs then (to be finalized with the crew)
  • Doors: request-based automatic with central overrides possible.
  • Purpose of filthy organics on board: Experts in their fields who are capable of analyzing data and running the ship, should the Dark Star cause spontaneous failure of electronics.
  • Suspended animation: For use in either emergencies or long, boring transits, in either case can be used to save on life support. Crew goes to sleep while the AI remains awake.
  • Degree of automation: central computer can run all essential ship functions with aid of robotic systems, including but not limited to basic maintenance and cleaning. Fabrication, mining, telescope operation requires no organic input, though has organic accessibility and minimal operational capability in case of massive computer core/AI failure.
  • Fire extinguishers: placed in corridors in dedicated (probably unlocked) cabinets. Probably use CO2.
  • Isolation systems: Any given room can be sealed off by its doors and vents, and crew quarters can also double as isolation cells if need be.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:16:49 am by HugoLuman »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

I see no problems here. Yay? Yay!
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Mining systems are incorrect, high grade is what was decided. We should have a number of specialized laboratories, manufactory is higher grade, ship parts would be considered lowend for it, not rated as difficult projects.

Otherwise good.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edited.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Mining suite includes the refinery right?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep. Mining lasers ablate material into clouds which are collected and processed, ROVs/Drones take chunks and deposit them.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #642 on: January 23, 2015, 01:52:38 am »

Spoiler: Blueprint Schematics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Visual 3D Projection (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Real Image (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ship Overview (click to show/hide)
I purposefully, confidently and consciously agree with this plan.

...Though I still, seriously, believed that the 'arms' were rotating rather than cylindrical :'( [Awesome work Dorsi. Very awesome.]

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Thanks, Tiruin. What exactly do you mean by 'the arms rotating rather than cyclindrical', incidentally? The arms do rotate as it is.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The list looks good to me.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 46