Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 82326 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #495 on: January 17, 2015, 11:21:46 pm »

Hello. Sorry, but I honestly haven't been working very much on the model. I have been doing other things.

:-\

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 17, 2015, 11:26:56 pm »

No need to apologize~ We still haven't decided on subsystems~

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 18, 2015, 12:17:45 am »

There should be a tunnel network and an area where the AI can't spy on, Just in case it goes rouge.*Stares at Kevak, Reaches for Pepper Spray*

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 18, 2015, 12:20:43 am »

Said tunnel network would also be utilizable by all those spacenasties like Alien, Tyranids, and Necromorphs. Not to mention the drones could go in there. I think that it would be smarter to have the capacity to monitor where the spacenasties are.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 18, 2015, 12:24:52 am »

No No I meant that the AI could monitor the Tunnels but have an area without any drones, or sensors where the crew can scheme in private, In case the AI goes crazy.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 18, 2015, 12:26:26 am »

I really doubt that is going to happen. But whatever.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 18, 2015, 12:27:57 am »

No cameras in the bedrooms/bathrooms? I feel like most species would rather not have a computer ogling them while they sleep.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 18, 2015, 12:32:38 am »

This is bay12 we're talking about, If it can happen it's gonna happen. Also good idea with the bathroom/bedroom no camera idea. We should put in a self destruct/ EMP switch for emergencies.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:14 am »

Personal Bedrooms or Dorms?

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 18, 2015, 12:37:18 am »

Personal Bedrooms, Privacy is key whenever your on a cramped space shuttle with Kevak watching your every move, To say nothing of the freakish alien hordes. Personal Bedrooms are a good idea. But what about species that don't sleep?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 18, 2015, 12:38:56 am »

The AI would not agree to the self destruct/emp. Also the ship would be pretty much crippled if the AI died. Crew could fly the ship, maybe, if enough of the computerbanks are functional to keep the bridge working, but with the AI out, most/all of the primary functions would be very hard to use. Weapons would be flat out offline, none of the characters appear to have the mental capacity to hit millisecond firing windows, maintenance would be offline, power regulation by the AI would be offline so whatever computer is handling the reactor wouldn't have oversight so someone would need to constantly monitor the reactor, hydroponics would no longer be automatic unless it was supervised by a completely separate computer from the main banks so someone will need to grow food, and so on. Lets not forget collateral damage to other systems.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 18, 2015, 12:52:49 am »

You make it sound like those aren't things that completely separate programs should already be running.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 18, 2015, 12:53:21 am »

Making it so that the ship doesn't function without the AI is what I would describe as bloody stupid. Secondary backup systems utilizing non-sentient computers are quite possible. If that isn't possible for some arbitrary reason, DON'T BE THE FUCKING AI. Seriously. Every third post here is you saying "You can't do that because I'm the AI"[<-Paraphrased]. Granted, half the time its because boarding hooks in space or some other asinine idea, but its still getting pretty fucking old.

Rule 1 of role playing with people in a game:
'My character would never do/allow that so therefore I will veto/sit it out.' is not how you play.

Find a reason. Bend the edges of your characters morals. Your backstory is not to dictate that you cannot do this or that ever, even if it says so. It's there to add flavor and plot hooks to the story, to help immerse yourself and others into the game.

Reposting because relevant.

Personally, I think having an AI on the ship could be fun, if they're actually equal with the rest of the crew. I don't want to play a game to get bossed around by/being totally reliant on a semi-omnipotent Big Brother. Especially if I can't really retaliate without making someone butthurt because they're another player.

My apologies for being blunt, but I'm pretty fed up with this.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 18, 2015, 12:58:15 am »

You make it sound like those aren't things that completely separate programs should already be running.
If you bothered to read my full post, you would have noticed that I stated the AI would be an Oversight for the existing computers in charge of the components. The issue is the collateral damage from EMP and the complete destruction of the main computer systems that the AI lives in.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 18, 2015, 01:02:33 am »

If you bothered to read my full post, you would have noticed that I stated the AI would be an Oversight for the existing computers in charge of the components. The issue is the collateral damage from EMP and the complete destruction of the main computer systems that the AI lives in.
Then we wouldn't use an EMP. Just take the relevant drives and throw them out the airlock. Problem solved.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46