Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can I make an underground river?  (Read 5208 times)

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I make an underground river?
« on: January 07, 2015, 03:33:41 pm »

Is it possible to re-route a brook/stream and make it flow down underground a lot of Z levels? 

And a corollary to that question would be; Could I connect my dwarf-made stream to the edge of the map, thus making it have the same properties as a regular river?  Meaning it will not dry up or won't fill up my whole chamber.

If this is true... oh boy!  I have a lot of plans!
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: Can I make an underground river?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:45:50 pm »

You can flow liquids off the edge of the map indefinitely. If there isn't a natural open space on the edge of the map to use, you can't mine the outermost tiles but you can carve them into fortifications which allow liquids to pass through.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 04:17:36 pm »

Since you are new to the game I recommend extreme caution with water, pressure exists.
If you connect your river to your man Dwarf-made stream the later can and most likely will overflow, just like if you had connected anything you plan to connect to it to the main river in the surface, but other than that, yes, it will gain the proprieties of a river, just remember that the river flows towards one direction, make sure to not dig near the start side.
In a time before time, I had a name.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 05:27:03 pm »

Without using dfhack, you can't create new water source tiles, so you will have to use the existing source. But, as mentioned, you can create new "sink" tiles at the edge of the map by smoothing and fortifying. Also note that aquifers are infinite sources AND sinks for water. Finally, note that large areas of water (or magma) with less than 7/7 depth will murder your FPS.

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 06:42:15 pm »

Okay this is giving me many ideas... but could you maybe show me how that might look?
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:17 pm »

Since you are new to the game I recommend extreme caution with water, pressure exists.

Waterfalls are highly dangerous; dwarves can easily be washed away and swept to their deaths if you're not extra careful. Additionally, they often have trouble escaping water if they become submerged and don't know how to swim, even if a path is open that they could use. It might be prudent to use floodgates or raising bridges to get the aqueduct finished and clear, and make sure that nobody will be caught in the flow. Finally,make sure to do all you can to keep dwarves from trying to path through the running water after it's flowing.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:41:04 pm »

Okay this is giving me many ideas... but could you maybe show me how that might look?
How an aqueduct would look? Or how fortifications on map edges would look? It's not that complex, but hard to pull off without sacrificing a miner until you understand water pressure...

There are loads of things you can do with water, especially flowing water, but be careful...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 10:22:58 pm »

Also note that you will not be able to fish from this river, only original water tiles can be fished from (provided there's still water in them when you're done.)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 11:47:12 pm »

You should be able to make an underground river by dropping the surface via cave-in with the river already on it and just give it a prepared exit at (or below) the level it's going to stop at. Then cover 8 z's above the new surface with constructed walls from all the blocks you made when digging out a space for it (all the way back up to surface level) and it'll be fishable, grow some full-size cave trees and cave moss, assuming the river source can still flow in to keep it wet.

That may be fun enough that no one's ever done it, at least successfully, or at least without a lot of water ending up in interesting places. A biome that freezes the river for a long time in winter would make it a wee bit less drown-tastic.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 01:24:45 am »

Just a warning: waterfalls and such often drain a lot of fps and making your own rivers usually will as well.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 03:25:06 am »

Also note that you will not be able to fish from this river, only original water tiles can be fished from (provided there's still water in them when you're done.)
If I DfHacked new source tiles underground to create an underground river, would I be able to fish from that?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:28:21 pm »

Yes, but in reality you can fish from anywhere anyway, make a pond, wait a bit and there will be some fish there.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 04:27:29 pm »

Wow, you guys post a lot faster than I would expect!  Not really used to such a... nice community.  I would like to say that most of my dwarfs are expendable.  I have five miners so far and so if one goes and dies... eh.  I'll just make my females pump some babies out.

This has never been done before?  That sort of makes the prospect of this a bit daunting.  Maybe once I get better gear/dwarfs and all that jazz I'll lead my dwarfs to terrifying inevitable deaths  mine that place out. 

Are you saying that I could essentially make an "underground Eden" that provides all the comforts of above?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 04:47:54 pm »

You can make a completely underground fortress, and many do (you can grow plump helmets just as well 60 z levels down as you can 2 z levels down assuming you can find the soil). Miners might be expendable (mostly due to the apparent overpopulation of the mountainhome rather than the fertility of your lady dwarves given the 12 years it takes a child to mature), but picks might be harder to come by, depending on what metals you have.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 02:19:12 am »

You can make a completely underground fortress, and many do (you can grow plump helmets just as well 60 z levels down as you can 2 z levels down assuming you can find the soil). Miners might be expendable (mostly due to the apparent overpopulation of the mountainhome rather than the fertility of your lady dwarves given the 12 years it takes a child to mature), but picks might be harder to come by, depending on what metals you have.
Even finding soil isn't really necessary. I mean, if you're willing to make a massive underground river, I'd think you'd be willing to make a shaft for transporting water to a room for muddying it.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: [1] 2