Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapons-grade FUN from the very first migrant wave  (Read 1301 times)

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapons-grade FUN from the very first migrant wave
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:37:17 am »

I know early on it's possible to have some fun with bad biomes and their inhabitants, but I never expected this kind of fun from my own dwarves this early.

I'm of course taking about the worst possible scenario from a migrant wave, a flithy bloodsucking monster that saps the good-will and life out of a fort. I didn't take any screenshots, but 5 minutes after my first migrant wave came in(7 farmers, no kids, so not too bad) I got the dreaded event message box of doom. At first I thought, "WHAT?, no way, I'm only 30 minutes into the game, it can't sic a werebeast or titan on me that fast!"

I then read the box and it said something about titles being passed on to another dwarf.

...wait, what? What's that got to do with... me...

OH GOD.

PLEASE GOD NO.

Yes, as said before, the worst blood-sucking monster of all had migranted into my fort at the very start: NOBLES.

I got a goddamn baron AND his consort wife on my very first migrant wave. I barely had a farm dug out let alone entire fort and quarters for this idiot. Why you do this, game?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons-grade FUN from the very first migrant wave
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:48:09 am »

...I've had barony inheritance happen with one of my starting seven, before the first migrant wave. She was our doctor, and she was furious with us for years whilst we desperately tried to pierce an aquifer (pretty easy one, half a dozen layers deep, but complicated with a dodgy top level of variable height) and get to the good rock below so she could have better rooms. She had a farm in her room for the second year. She continued to treat injured dwarfs despite occasionally going off the deep end when migrant children ate all of her favourite food.

Incidentally, I never had that fort achieve a baroncy of its own, and I wondered for a long while whether it was overlooked because we already had Baroness McDoctor screwing up the system. It seems not, as since then I've had inheritance barons and actual appointed barons in the same fort.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:00:30 am »

Well nobles are not that bad IF they don't mandate too many things.
Their room requirements can be met easily by filling their room with traps or levers.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:35:53 am »

Lately I had my expedition leader become a king, and it was in a three-month-old fort.

He didn't go insane, not even tantrum, despite only having a single gold throne and an admittedly decent bedroom.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 12:44:12 pm »

Lately I had my expedition leader become a king, and it was in a three-month-old fort.

He didn't go insane, not even tantrum, despite only having a single gold throne and an admittedly decent bedroom.

I'm jealous. I used to like dead civ embarks, but now I just can't do it. The royals beat people and animals to death and/or go insane before I can meet their requirements. And then they're just replaced by someone who... did not learn from his predecessor's mistakes.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Legendary Emu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig cisterns everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:23:24 pm »

One time, during the first year of my fort, the king of the civilization came and decided to live in my fortress. He had a strange obsession with pants.