Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What criteria do you use when choose dwarves for the military  (Read 5339 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: What criteria do you use when choose dwarves for the military
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 09:37:18 pm »

I don't draft straight women who're marriage minded even if they don't have kids because I don't want to have to keep track of that and waste time training someone I'll have to drop later to prevent babies from being killed in the line of their mother's duty. Anyone else is eligible, but I prefer dwarves who only have skills in largely useless professions. Peasants need a little work experience (even if it's just operating pumps) to prevent "was upset to be relieved from duty" silliness. Previous military experience outside the fort is irrelevant because training is so fast that there's no real reason to select for the one or two levels migrants typically come with.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 11:21:17 pm »

Ideally, they turn up with a weapon skill so that they'll just grab that and train up without me fussing when I dump them in a squad, plus miners for the Pick brigade, Loggers for the Axes, and Hunters for the bows, because being good with the weapon you carry in your day job is worth the trouble it brings (which isn't much, just make a lot more weapons). If I need a few more, then anyone who isn't a peasant will do, preferably not the legends, useful nobles, and avoid the legends-in-training. Early on, it's the starting seven because they don't have family and are less problem when they die.

Maces need strength, with Hammers and Short Shorts better for the relatively weak, and sometimes I check on that. Someone without any skill usually just gets forced to use whatever we're short of. Maybe given an exotic weapon if it's a nice one.

I also like to use family squads, if I've got genealogy notes going. Lets them take time off together and recover stress a bit quicker. I've got birth rates set very low, so random births in combat basically never happen. Dropping out of a front line squad (and strait into a reserve squad) on the birth announcement is good enough.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 12:12:00 am »

Dwarves with decent preexisting attributes. Don't care about their military skills (though I may make note of it if I need an emergency militia). I do prefer if they have at least novice in a civilian skill. The unhappiness penalty from drafting is a minor nuisance and easily solved, but the penalty from a skill-less dwarf going off duty is harder to solve with the way I do schedules. 
Discipline counted as a civilian skill for that, and then the thought rewrite came.

I detest using pump-stack "gyms" though.  They are just uselessly toiling away and not generating anything for the fort...
I'm pretty sure pump-stack gyms were removed quite a while ago. Pump stacks weren't, just physical attributes are no longer trained by skills that aren't military. Which while it fixed carps being unbeatable warriors, it made it so your legendary metalsmith is likely to end up without a bit of muscle on them when metalmithing is directly affected by strength so you have to go and send them into the military to see if maybe the attributes increase and of course after a whole year somehoq they still haven't and you just get upset and take them out of the military and be disappointed. Pump stack gyms also make perfect sense and I don't see why they'd be too "gamey'. If you move a pump up and down all day for a year you're probably going to get stronger.
I remember seeing my miners all being really strong. Are you sure?
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 02:31:27 pm »

First I look at combat related skills. If dwarf doesn't have any, and is useless to fortress I draft him/her. Useful dwarves can stay safely inside.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 02:42:44 pm »

Whoever has combat skills first, because otherwise I can't decide who gets what weapons.  Married women are kept out unless it's one of those forts where everyone has a million kids.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 02:52:06 pm »

Unless I'm desperate I only draft dwarves who dream of mastering a skill. Opportunities in the army and all that. That's really my only requirement. Well, that and four working limbs.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 03:04:55 pm »

Well, that and four working limbs.

Crazily enough, one legged dwarfs are, with a little knowhow, more effective than their whole brethren.

If they're using a crutch, and the crutch isn't made of wood, but something heavier, then when they stomp into battle they will whack the enemy repeatedly with their.... walking and bludgeoning weapon. I had my eyes opened to that special ability by someone in this forum. You can't make bludgeoning weapons out of lead unless you're lucky with a Mood, but you can make crutches out of any other furniture material, say gold, lead, or electrum.... Basically, if you want to use a bludgeoning weapon, crutches are some of the most effective you can get, and usually a one footed dwarf has more discipline and know how anyway, as he had to loose that foot SOMEhow. As a final bonus, I'm told that once they're legendary crutch walkers, they're actually faster than other dwarves, but I have no experimental proof of my own to show about the speed bit of the legend of the crutch weapon.

Two functioning arms are sort of important though. Can't help anyone there.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 03:46:15 pm »

I used to have a strict no-women military policy, on account of how the babies fare, but with the introduction of sexual orientation I've taken to opening active military positions to ace and lesbian ladydwarfs.

Skillwise, I pick cheesemakers and peasants for military duty over someone more skilled but in an economically useful profession. An initial group spending time in a danger room can teach the rest their skills.

I've also successfully experimented with giving ALL adult civilians a minimal level of survival training from experienced teachers, and rotating them in-and-out of the odd 10-dwarf maintenance course. Adequate-to-skilled level in dodging, armor use, and Dwarfjutsu (fighting/striking/wrestling/biting/kicking). It isn't much, but from what I've seen with even that little amount of training, survivability in emergencies increases dramatically over that of untrained civilians.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:49:21 pm by drh »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 03:53:47 pm »

Welcome to [insert fortress]!
We here in the militia would like to screen you for military aptitude!

Skills, bravery/stress management ability, stats, do I need someone to fill a particular role right now, and finally do I need soldiers and their pathetic ass is the only thing available to hold a sword.

Skills overrule anything else, since it means they can fend off aggressive animals if needed without running away usually.
Mental stats for bravery or handling stress. A brave dwarf can make up for poor discipline somewhat while a good stress manager hopefully isn't as adversely affected by the initial horrors combat.
Physicals because of the need for a soldier to, if nothing else have solid strength, agility, or willpower - this one however isn't as strictly followed.
What needs doing and do they have any aptitude for it, because if I need an extra wall builder or armorsmith that may overrule the need for a soldier if they lack prior skills.
If I don't however, and I do seriously need soldiers desperately, they get called up and issued a weapon.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 04:00:10 pm »

As a player who never arranges accidents for his Dwarves or atomsmash useless migrants, I always try to keep everyone alive.

Melee squads are now restricted to males and gay females. I got tired of having to shuffle squads due to childbirths.

Ranged squads are all females, and males with terrible physical traits.

If a female Dwarf arrives with good melee skills, I'll put her in a militia squad for emergencies and interior defense. I'll do the same for others who have a valuable trade skill as well as decent combat skills.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 04:13:20 pm »

I personally just take all the males and gay females.
No choosing more fit ones for melee or weaker to ranged, just throw them all there since they may cause less problems by dying.
I may need to change strategy tough, since recently civilians are dying in a far larger scale than soldiers in my fort...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:19 pm »

Generally speaking, my first squad is based on who has pre-existing skills. I like to get that first squad trained up and ready to roll as soon as possible. I also don't use danger rooms typically -- I see them as an exploit. Gender doesn't really matter, because the first squad isn't really for fighting, it's for building skills. I usually go for six members in this initial squad.

Once a dwarf reaches legendary skills, I branch them off as leader of their own training squad and fill it with recruits. These recruits are chosen based on relative uselessness to pure functions for the fort - males only, because baby tantrums are a thing. Stats are usually not considered either, mostly because I can't usually be bothered to micromanage to that level. With regard to female commanders, they're kept in circulation as trainers and not used in direct combat. These training squads are used for recruits until they reach a reasonable skill level, and thus promoted from recruits to soldiers. Soldiers are then placed on active duty squads, which cycle between training and patrol. I like to have six squads of six.

That's my protocol for melee. Ranged draw from the same recruit pool, but are in smaller squads of 3. Like melee, I draw six permanent squads, which brings my total number of professional soldiers to 54 members plus a training staff of six. Once my fortress has a large enough population, I also cycle my haulers through a training regiment. One third trains for one third of the year, while the other two-thirds do their jobs. They're the reserves. I like to do this more for the physical stat training than for the combat effectiveness, but having a reserve of soldiers of about 20-30 dwarves is nice.

That is, of course, for regular forts. More military oriented forts will have larger numbers and different training cycles.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 07:39:30 pm »

My recruiting is usualy based on preferences, if dwarf likes swords, he gets to be a weaponsmith and not a military dwarf, if he likes scepters, he gets drafted.. (same for other preferances, useful prefereances are civilians, useless (toys, secpters, etc.) warriors.. and I let the goblins sort out who gets to live.. ;)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 03:20:22 am »

Skills are all I ever pay attention to, once I start building my militia I recruit anyone who does not have levels in a skill I need.
Paying attention to gender, marriage, orientation, preferences, attributes, is too much work for me.
A year or two of constant training will build them up to superdwarven weaponmasters no matter where they're starting from.
Oftentimes I'll draft entire migrant waves until I get enough squads.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 03:40:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's all kinds of awesome. I'll probably stick to my all limbs attached rule for recruitment purposes, but it's good to know there's a military future for (some) crippled veterans.
Pages: 1 [2] 3