Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The hell just happened?  (Read 1061 times)

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
The hell just happened?
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:06:46 am »

Combat reports would pop up every once in a while, dwarves or cats randomly falling or being hit by plants, for no apparent reason but without any injuries. Shortly after robbing the first autumn caravan, I set up a meat stockpile (the only one in the fort) near the top of the tower. I was promptly bombarded with "cannot store item in stockpile" cancellation spam and, looking around, noticed my head administrator lying in a deathbed of blood and sand. Gravely wounded by mysterious impacts with chunks of meat.

The really weird part is that the dwarf is in an enclosed room with an up stair directly above him and a hatch over the ramp that goes into the room. I initially thought the ocean waves were pushing around stuff from the wagon, but I only embarked with true meat, not organs -- the things that hit him are from the caravan. The best explanation I can come up with is that the stuff fell down the stairs while he was standing below them, he fell to the bottom, and was somehow pushed through the adjacent hatch.

This leaves the mystery of how the stuff fell. My best guesses are: a) since the stockpile overlaps the stairs, dwarves are putting items on the stairs and they're falling down, or b) the ocean waves are somehow pushing around creatures and items even though they're several levels above sea level.

Any thoughts?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The hell just happened?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 11:17:52 am »

He fell for some reason. Hit all the items. Or maybe items have fallen on him.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 11:28:20 am »

You put a hatch over a ramp. Bad idea, it causes falls and dead dwarfs.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 01:14:10 am »

You put a hatch over a ramp. Bad idea, it causes falls and dead dwarfs.

Ah, I see. He was moving meat from the wagon, opened the hatch from below, other dwarves hauling meat from the trade depot and standing on the hatch at that moment fell and dropped their cargo on him.

Friggin' dwarves.