Poll

Good or bad idea?

Very good.
good.
meh.
bad.
Very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions  (Read 53120 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2015, 01:23:45 am »

I'm not sure what thread this should go on, so I'll put it here but I was playing Sucubus fortress, and the humans decided to besiege me with a small army of War Prairie Dogs. As funny as it is, you might want to see to it that rodents are not war animals in the future.

Were they riding on them? I know Gnomes totally charge into battle riding foxes and such.

I don't think so.

Edit: The dwarves just brought some War Prairie Dogs as well. They were not riding them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:46:15 am by Weirdsound »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2015, 03:32:28 pm »

I'm not sure what thread this should go on, so I'll put it here but I was playing Sucubus fortress, and the humans decided to besiege me with a small army of War Prairie Dogs. As funny as it is, you might want to see to it that rodents are not war animals in the future.

Were they riding on them? I know Gnomes totally charge into battle riding foxes and such.

I don't think so.

Edit: The dwarves just brought some War Prairie Dogs as well. They were not riding them.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nevets_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2015, 04:48:44 pm »

I don't know, a horde of scurrying, snapping prairie dogs sounds terrifying.  If you could train them right, they'd be able to slip in between shield walls, climb up legs and torsos, and bite at exposed or lightly armored areas like the necks and armpits.  You couldn't really use swords or spears to fight them since they are so small and nimble, you'd have to go hand to hand.  And once your enemy has dropped their weapons and shields you charge them with your regular troops and call the prairie dogs back right before you hit their lines.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2015, 08:43:06 pm »

The above needs to be implemented.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2015, 01:30:45 am »

Minor Nitpick of the Day: Am preparing an embark as Succubi, and I noticed that Glumprong Logs cost only 3 dwarfbucks, but Glumprong Spores cost 5... That isn't quite right.

...Also, Holy shit, Bloodworms have a value of 0 Dwarfbucks at embark! I don't even know what they do, but I think I'll take 500! They are listed under plants, so I bet I'm getting free barrels out of the deal if I can figure out how to use the Bloodworms.

Edit: I just noticed that I can buy Bloodworm Wine! I think that means I may have discovered an infinite booze on Embark glitch for races with Bloodworm access. Might be something the devs want to patch up.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:34:46 am by Weirdsound »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2015, 11:35:00 am »

I don't know, a horde of scurrying, snapping prairie dogs sounds terrifying.  If you could train them right, they'd be able to slip in between shield walls, climb up legs and torsos, and bite at exposed or lightly armored areas like the necks and armpits.  You couldn't really use swords or spears to fight them since they are so small and nimble, you'd have to go hand to hand.  And once your enemy has dropped their weapons and shields you charge them with your regular troops and call the prairie dogs back right before you hit their lines.

Interestingly, a quirk of DF2014 combat physics actually makes it almost impossible for giant creatures such as titans to strike effectively at tiny creatures.  This creates a strategic rock-paper-scissors effect: titans -> regular soldiers -> war bunnies -> titans.

Well, as long as the titan is made of something soft enough for the critters to bite through, and isn't poisonous, that is.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2015, 02:26:06 pm »

Interestingly, a quirk of DF2014 combat physics actually makes it almost impossible for giant creatures such as titans to strike effectively at tiny creatures.  This creates a strategic rock-paper-scissors effect: titans -> regular soldiers -> war bunnies -> titans.

Well, as long as the titan is made of something soft enough for the critters to bite through, and isn't poisonous, that is.

Venomous, small, war-trainable pets are in demand then...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2015, 07:00:35 am »

Like fluffy wambler being thrown at bronze collossi?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:54 am »

War trained Fluffy Wamblers. Death by Tribbles!

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2015, 03:55:39 pm »

Two things off the top of my head:

1) If Gnomes and Elves are to be sharing Druidism, then get rid of the Kobold's 'Druid' Caste. I personally don't think that the Kobolds should have a specialized tank unit (aside from Ogres); should the illustrious community think otherwise, transformation/steelskin could be part of the Witch(er)'s repertoire of trainable spells.

2) As an above-ground-oriented race unable to cut trees, Elves look a bit hamstrung. It's not even an issue of collecting wood as a resource, but instead of being unable to clear ground to build: the first-time Elf player eagerly embarks with a plan of recreating Lothlorien, but can't build on any grand scheme because there are trees in the way. In my mind, from a lore-standpoint, there should be justification given to the elves for chopping down at least a few trees: for the greater good, to clear old growth, etc.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2015, 04:02:43 pm »

Two things off the top of my head:

1) If Gnomes and Elves are to be sharing Druidism, then get rid of the Kobold's 'Druid' Caste. I personally don't think that the Kobolds should have a specialized tank unit (aside from Ogres); should the illustrious community think otherwise, transformation/steelskin could be part of the Witch(er)'s repertoire of trainable spells.

2) As an above-ground-oriented race unable to cut trees, Elves look a bit hamstrung. It's not even an issue of collecting wood as a resource, but instead of being unable to clear ground to build: the first-time Elf player eagerly embarks with a plan of recreating Lothlorien, but can't build on any grand scheme because there are trees in the way. In my mind, from a lore-standpoint, there should be justification given to the elves for chopping down at least a few trees: for the greater good, to clear old growth, etc.
To elves killing plants is worse than murder. Murder is JUSTIFIED_IF_EXTREME_REASON, killing plants is UNTHINKABLE. There's no way there's going to be a lore justification for that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2015, 04:51:26 pm »

It's been a while since I read the raws, are there any war-trainable or naturally agressive, tameable small snakes/spiders/other venomous critters in this mod? Or Far Cry 4 style honey badgers?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2015, 06:35:51 pm »

Or Far Cry 4 style honey badgers?

We do have those. Plus Kobolds get Psychoactive Toads, which are A) Wartrainable and B) Impart a whole lot of random stuff with their bite attack if it penetrates skin.

I'd say minor naturey magic makes sense for tribal koobolds. Plus Druids are, especially in the first year or three, the only real line of defense, since you can make them using only time, food and drink. Without them, you'd have to hide behind drawbridges and such until you could get an above-average military up, which is zero fun. Keep Kobold Druids.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2015, 09:45:09 pm »

If elves can't build down, and can't build across... perhaps they can build up? Make their homes in the trees, make their homes look LIKE trees. They'll need something that gives them cheap/free buildmats, or perhaps someone can work some DFhacky magic to instagrow structures from reactions complete with stairs... but that is probably impossible.

Is it possible to age or de-age trees to the point that they can be built over? Or perhaps we can do something that consumes a live tree (without "hurting" it; some sort of life/druid magic) to give the elves some sort of resource while also removing the obstruction? Something similar to the Warlock pylon that's cheap to make, and instead of controlling skeletons merely blocks/regresses tree growth in an area?

I know nothing about DFhack, BTW. Just spitballing.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2015, 10:31:08 pm »

If elves can't build down, and can't build across... perhaps they can build up? Make their homes in the trees, make their homes look LIKE trees. They'll need something that gives them cheap/free buildmats, or perhaps someone can work some DFhacky magic to instagrow structures from reactions complete with stairs... but that is probably impossible.
That is possible. A building growing upwards is yet another reverted drilling rig. Gnomes drill holes everyday (technically they build something that looks like a hole).

First you build a "root"(drilling rig) with a block and a seed, and run a reaction "pray for a living wooden wall"(extend the drill) then a wall is dfhacked above the "root". The more you pray, the higher the wall will grow.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27