Poll

Good or bad idea?

Very good.
good.
meh.
bad.
Very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions  (Read 53155 times)

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2015, 05:54:01 pm »

Would it be possible to create a Masterwork Soundpack for Soundsense?
the announcement script also got me thinking,might it be possible to use something like it to change what voices are used for Dwarf/Orc/Kobold/Gnome/Succubi forts,and change what song is being played when playing music in a tavern?
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2015, 10:48:20 am »

Would it be possible to create a Masterwork Soundpack for Soundsense?
the announcement script also got me thinking,might it be possible to use something like it to change what voices are used for Dwarf/Orc/Kobold/Gnome/Succubi forts,and change what song is being played when playing music in a tavern?

It would probably be very difficult to make this work under all circumstances.

Personally, I like using the 8-bit retro soundpack.  It conveys just as much information and feels less obnoxious than the thick accented voices of the standard soundpack.  And it works just as well no matter which race you're playing as.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2015, 02:33:09 am »

I'm thinking what's the key feature of each race. :P
Dwarf: Cheating materials and cheating workshops. Iron-grade leather, insane-grade volcanic.
Human: Awkward guilds. You need gold to build everything while the other races can build it directly.
Gnome: Useless machines. Nothing to say, just useless.
Others: Too complicated for me to play.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2015, 02:34:06 am »

wow that's all pretty negative

edit: why am i complaining about that

wait because it's not really good feedback? go into more detail

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2015, 04:03:38 am »

Thinking about cosmological alignments in DF...

We've got angels in the sky, demons underground, and titans as the avatars of nature, but where do the others fit in?  FBs are functionally underground titans, but they have a fairly different vibe.  Then there are the nightcreatures, who come from who-knows-where...

Anyway, I thought of some ideas for dfhack related fun.  What if building a tower to the sky could trigger an angelic invasion, Tower of Babel style?  'Transfixing song comes from the heavens above!'  They can spawn with divine equipment which you can steal, if you can beat them.

Also, what about some kind of eldritch... Things from 'outside' that show up in response to meddling with certain magic forces?  Like the fortress version of bogeymen.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2015, 04:05:25 am »

I think that's sorta what FBs are.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2015, 05:01:48 am »

It was only a joke. Things are not as serious as I said above.

wow that's all pretty negative

edit: why am i complaining about that

wait because it's not really good feedback? go into more detail
I was just joking. I like these races.

But there are really some concerns. I understand that for a mod to be popular, it's good to have more stuff to play but less frustrating than vanilla. Just something went too far. Priest magically get iron from thin air, a single gem emits unlimited magma. If something is going to be overwhelming, it should be week in the beginning, at least it shouldn't be overwhelming from the beginning. So trap upgrading is perfect, volcanic plate armor is fine, golem is a good flavor, but javelin looks like only a name for a cheating crossbow.

Human mode need not to be balanced against other races, more challenge is fun. But it can be more fun if human has some unique stuff. When I'm playing as human I just build and work until one day I suddenly realize that I've made enough wealth to buy all things I want to buy, and I will never get the other things. It's a good tour to MDF races, but human itself is not a race for seriously playing. Maybe builders will like it, but I'm not a builder, even in Minecraft.

Machines are interesting, but the fun part is to design and build them. Once built, they are useless. Build a smelting system but find that there are not many ores to smelt. Build a decorating machine but don't want to waste high-value materials in this unskilled autoworker. Build a deadly mechanical trap but have no way to lure goblins to siege. It's still fun to design machines, but it'll be better to design machines for some practical goal.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2015, 10:12:00 am »

javelin looks like only a name for a cheating crossbow.

idk, i think javelins make the game more FUN actually.  they make invading crossbowdwarves actually fairly dangerous :)

balance wise, to be able to use your feedback very much, it would be helpful for you to use a more descriptive word than "cheating".  The ammo already take way more materials to make.  Would a different cost make it balanced or is the weapon itself simply way too OP in your opinion?  Which specific javelin launcher are you talking about? (atlatl, jav thrower, or the repeating jav thrower), there's a big difference?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:16:29 am by smakemupagus »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2015, 10:31:41 am »

Remember that ranged weapons got nerfed a lot in DF2014, you won't pierce an helm with bone bolts/javelins anymore.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2015, 12:02:48 pm »

Out of curiosity, what is the point of having all the different names/types for prepared food? If I decide I want to trade meals in vanilla, I just have to search for 'roast' on the depot screen. In MDF I have to input each of the top tier meal types individually, or trade whole prepared food barrels at a time.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2015, 07:41:03 pm »

Out of curiosity, what is the point of having all the different names/types for prepared food? If I decide I want to trade meals in vanilla, I just have to search for 'roast' on the depot screen. In MDF I have to input each of the top tier meal types individually, or trade whole prepared food barrels at a time.
I think the point is having more than one boring name for each type of food.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2015, 07:59:15 pm »

I think I'll have to agree with Weirdsound here. Practicality should be a priority over keeping something from being "boring".

In reality, time spent looking for a million different foods in your trade menu is boring because you could be spending time doing more interesting things.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2015, 08:55:20 pm »

IIRC, that was one of the things you could turn on or off using the GUI. "Complex foods" or something like that.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2015, 10:15:19 pm »

javelin looks like only a name for a cheating crossbow.

idk, i think javelins make the game more FUN actually.  they make invading crossbowdwarves actually fairly dangerous :)

balance wise, to be able to use your feedback very much, it would be helpful for you to use a more descriptive word than "cheating".  The ammo already take way more materials to make.  Would a different cost make it balanced or is the weapon itself simply way too OP in your opinion?  Which specific javelin launcher are you talking about? (atlatl, jav thrower, or the repeating jav thrower), there's a big difference?
Yes it gives more FUN to other races.:)
It is kind of balanced because in MDF world there are a lot of such things, like mithril singing arrows, bodkin arrows. If all races are balanced on this basis it's not op, only number-inflating.

I talk about javelins as an example of something too powerful, too cheep, and too easily acquired that renders their vanilla counterpart useless. No one would gave up javelins because they are lack of wood, bones, copper, and the op materials ironbark and ironbone. No one hesitates to upgrade to repeating javelins because they can't afford stone mechanisms. Honestly, the tiny downside is only useful to ease the guiltiness of semi-cheating, and javelins are still op, compared to vanilla, not orcs.

As a good example, trap comp upgrading is not so op. The first tier is the same as or a little worse than vanilla, and it needs researching to unlock engineer's forge. Players have to choose their strategy. Should I research engineer's and upgrade the axeblades? Or build a low-tech trap corridor right now and try to upgrade them later? Or stick on the low-tech trap corridor and research weaponry and armory? They are all valid choices and lead to different playstyles. But javelins, only fake questions "should I add a mechanism and triple the power of this javelin thrower" and "should I make bolts or those 40% less but 10 times deadly javelins".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2015, 10:21:01 pm »

Well thankfully we will now be able to control reload speed in the new version so I guess that's something to look forward to.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27