Poll

Good or bad idea?

Very good.
good.
meh.
bad.
Very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions  (Read 53175 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2015, 05:47:28 pm »

I have something I would to see in the vampire plugin and forgive me if it was already in the previous versions or if their is a better thread for this idea, but here I go.

The idea is simple and that blood barrels to be able to be drunk by vampires to satisfy their thirst, and possibly have it where it doesn't do a good as a job as drinking it fresh from the source or something like that.

Again sorry if this sounds like a dumb or needless question.

The Warlock vampires used to do this, though really they just went towards the nearest blood-source regardless of whether that was another warlock or one of hundreds of bloodwine units. It was kind of hard to manage without burrowing the vampires off in their own separate area, and I'm not certain if that trick still works in .40.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2015, 06:29:00 pm »

Maybe they can have the following options for vampire behavior: blood wine only, mixed, and vanilla vampire behaviors.  And have it modify all vampires not just when your playing a vampire civ. And also options/slider for base feeding impulses for extra FUN. Also options for survival and or infection chance chances would be nice too. And if its been done well before I am sorry for repeating
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2015, 03:28:45 am »

Maybe they can have the following options for vampire behavior: blood wine only, mixed, and vanilla vampire behaviors.  And have it modify all vampires not just when your playing a vampire civ. And also options/slider for base feeding impulses for extra FUN. Also options for survival and or infection chance chances would be nice too. And if its been done well before I am sorry for repeating
I'm pretty sure standard vampires are unmoddable, and the warlock vampires were removed because of the aforementioned just drinking whatever blood they wanted cuasing uncontrollable deaths which is not a fun mechanic. Even if the vampires were reimplemented, I'm pretty sure none of your suggestions would work aside from it being possible to make it so they don't drink bloodwine at all.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2015, 09:44:32 am »

Hey, one minor question: is aluminum extraction from bauxite going to be universally available, like it was in the old Masterwork?

In real life, the process for extracting aluminum from bauxite (Hall–Héroult process) requires electricity.  That's why aluminum used to be so valuable (its high value in DF reflects this) but is now commonplace.

I thought it would make sense to keep this method of extraction exclusive to gnomish tech - especially because aluminum isn't particularly useful in DF aside from its value (which is high only because of its rarity), but it makes sense that it (and any alloys made from it) would be a good material for robots.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2015, 12:02:27 pm »

In real life, the process for extracting aluminum from bauxite (Hall–Héroult process) requires electricity.

Orcs use something more like the Bayer process (i.e. in game terms it uses several different reagents as well as fuel, and is arguably not worth it) and they don't do too much special with it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2015, 01:37:56 pm »

In real life, the process for extracting aluminum from bauxite (Hall–Héroult process) requires electricity.

Orcs use something more like the Bayer process (i.e. in game terms it uses several different reagents as well as fuel, and is arguably not worth it) and they don't do too much special with it.

Ah, I see... Although technically, the Bayer process produces aluminum oxide, which still needs additional refinement before it can be used as metallic aluminum.  Although aluminum oxide has some interesting potential uses of its own, namely for the production of explosive thermite.

Speaking of which, we should probably work out how chemistry is going to work in this mod, to keep things consistent across races, and also to decide which races should get what.  At this point, it's kind of been an 'arms race' of adding all kinds of technologies and processes to all races because other races got them, whether or not it actually suits them.  I wasn't going to give gnomes explosives at all at first (gnomes should stick to building things with little moving parts, not blowing stuff up - at least, not deliberately), until I realized that even the kobolds got their totem-bombs.

Explosives seem like more of a goblin thing, maybe dwarves as well, if only because a mining-focused race could be expected to master the use of gunpowder early.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2015, 02:02:47 pm »

My chemistry system is:

* Use any one of several materials (brimstone, saltpeter, rocksalt, warpstone) to make a tool called "vial of acid".  The vials get material from reagent but I use them interchangeably. 
* Chemistry-type reactions just use some combination of acid vials; and flux stone, oil, & fuel. 

Reactions include

* making acid and fire weapons, and explosives
* cleaning "rusty iron" (waste material from orcish mass production, or from goblin trade/loot) into iron
* chemical extraction of Al, Ti, Cr, which are mostly just "jewelry metals" but have a few uses at the steamfoundry
* synthetic kaolin
* synthetic silk

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2015, 08:22:08 pm »

☼Woodland Elf Ideas☼
Here we go again...

Some traits
-Aboveground race, gets sick when below ground like humans, cannot dig (or maybe limited to temporary digging instruments like shovels)
-Druidic, as per gnomes.  Elves are penalized for slaughtering animals.  They rely heavily on milking and shearing.
-Cannot cut trees down at all.  Woodcutting is completely anathema to them.
-As defenders of nature, the elves raid opposing civilizations.  They bring back trophies from their raids.
-Has access to elven wood, a near steel equivalent

Wood Collection
Most tree types drop tree branches periodically during the year.  These can be collected using plant/fruit gathering zones.  All races can burn (3) tree branches into 1 coke or 1 ash at the smelter.

Woodland Shrine
Labor: Sorcery
Reactions:
-Coax branch into wood strand [tree branch, 1 seed]
-Shape strand into plank [wooden strand]
-Weave (3) strands into woven strand [3 wooden strand]

Druids Hut
-Create Nature's Heart [1 heart, 1 seed]
-Imbue strand with Nature's Heart [Nature's Fury, 1 woven strand] {grants Elven Wood log}

Bone Forge
As the Orc Bone Forge, or very similar.  This will give Elves access to fire-safe building materials.

Ashland Glassblower
As per the Orc Ashland Glassblower, or very similar.

Ashland Fletcher
As per the Orc Ashland Fletcher, or very similar.

Raiders Hall
Similar to how orcs work.  Raiding different races has different difficulties (failure means raiding party fails to return) and rewards
Raid Kobolds (easiest) - returns bones
Raid Goblins (moderate) - returns bones and copper trophies
Raid Orcs (hard) - returns bones and gold trophies

Great Bowyer
Makes Elven Great Bow from Elven wood and a rope

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2015, 03:04:51 pm »

Another elf thought:

Have a building that, when operated by a druid, turns the building and the druid into a very large hollow "tree".  The tree would be roughly 5 tiles in diamter and have a central stair column, and maybe a couple of levels with branches that push out.  It would be a good starting point for building a tree fort.

It should be possible to mod in with a script that uses tiletypes and roses event system to grow it over a few days...

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2015, 05:36:38 pm »

yo meph!, good thing you are back (for 0.42+)

what about back to the roots (MW roots)?
just simplify and quicken vanilla, get a stable port, with all utilities...
everything else can be added later.

same basic principle as 0.34 ...

but whatever, it will turn out nice, i'm sure.
have a nice day everyone!

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2015, 06:17:51 pm »

If I could suggest a simplification of vanilla...

The ten million different sharks, birds and bonobos are reaaally unecessary...why did Toady One ever even add all of those to the game? I can understand the difference between a whale shark and a great white shark, but do we really need stuff longfin and shortfin makos? There's almost no distinction between them except for appearance and...well...for a game like DF, that isn't much.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2015, 06:19:31 pm »

People asked for them. They payed for them. There was a donation drive.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2015, 06:23:47 pm »

If I could suggest a simplification of vanilla...

The ten million different sharks, birds and bonobos are reaaally unecessary...why did Toady One ever even add all of those to the game? I can understand the difference between a whale shark and a great white shark, but do we really need stuff longfin and shortfin makos? There's almost no distinction between them except for appearance and...well...for a game like DF, that isn't much.
Flavor and diversification,and with Meph's simplified mats,it doesnt affect gameplay to much
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2015, 08:04:21 pm »

Accelerated DF is the simpler, faster DF. Masterwork is something else :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2015, 10:13:37 pm »

Elf Idea: What if instead of forcing elves to be nice to nature, they were instead linked much more thoroughly to the druidic system than gnomes are? Like, a retreat of tree-hugging elves would gradually get stronger and faster with a high druid score, but they'd still be able to selectively choose when to chop a particular tree or slaughter a particular animal to reap a short-term reward- at the cost of possibly driving their score into the negatives and harming them over time. It would still encourage players to stay close to nature-loving canon, but it wouldn't necessarily be quite as limiting in an emergency or a story-fort.

Plus, cutting old-growth is often the most environmentally friendly thing one can do for a forest, as it frees up more sunlight and water for smaller plants and the increased bio-diversity results in a much healthier soil chemistry that carries forward into the rest of the foodchain.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27