Poll

Good or bad idea?

Very good.
good.
meh.
bad.
Very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions  (Read 53228 times)

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2015, 05:57:47 am »

>> But actually my dream (after my trip in Mexico) is to play a "race who performs sacrifices to the gods",

Nokao, I don't know if you've played Orcs a lot, but there's blood/bonemold metals, totems as currency, blood rituals at the Temple of Storms, weapons enchanted with blood magic.

I was very unlucky because in my MWDF 2f game that feature was a little buggy,
so instead of "something happens after totem sacrifice" I've got "totem explodes and kill all your orcs" that bringed me a lot of *fun*
So I waited 1 year and a half to come back and play again a more stable and rich game  :D

There's nothing that I really hardcoded explicitly after any mezoamerican historical practices.  But you can certainly build up to emulate something like a Tezcatlipoca gladitorial sacrifice by pitting captives into a constructed arena and sending in the clan champion's squad with macuahuitls, and you can use the resulting talismans to in a Rain, Sun, or Snow dance to control the weather for example.

Plus, you can use blood magic to power your steampunk equipment if you haven't looted enough gnomish diodes yet, which i think the aztecs also did historically*.
*or maybe in Shadowrun, I get those two confused sometimes ~~

Yes this are good ideas, but Naga & Kobolds are for sure more interesting races for this kind of things.

Of course all kind of gladitorial sacrifices was planned,
I also designed with QuickFort most of the structures,
so I'm just waiting for a stable/updated version of MWDF to play.

Maybe I'll do 6.2, but I would like to have DF client updated to .40 for Adventure Mode new features that I would like to use after creating this ancient monuments.

Infact, Teotihuacan was build by a civilization that disappeared in nowhere, then Aztecs arrived and called that "City of Gods" because it was empty.
My idea would be to create that with Kobolds or Nagas, then try to reclaim it with Humans or play inside with Adventure mode discovering it as archeologist :)

However, I'm taking this off-topic.

ANY improvement to MWDF would be great,
a Rewrite of it's code would be great thing to give less power to Dwarves,
and decide how this "version of DF divided in races" should be equilibrated.

Personally I would move all Guild+Magic to Humans, and leave Runes+"Divine stuff" (Cleric, Amrok, etc) to dwarves.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:02:43 am by Nokao »

Sardeed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2015, 11:31:17 am »

Sounds nice, i gave a good but not a very good because i want to have my dwarves with a gunsmith  :P i mean they are steampunky they should get other ranged weapons than crossbow and javelin thrower and i just love how long they can keep shooting.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2015, 12:30:28 pm »

Here's an idea that I don't think has been suggested yet: Cross-racial reactions.

This is a fun thing to do for a mod with multiple races, and makes reclaiming forts more interesting.  Basically, you give a race a unique reaction that only works using a building constructed by another race.  This allows you to make 'secret' reactions that can only be unlocked if you reclaim a fort built by another race.  It might take some coordination, though.

Succubi could corrupt a human or dwarven altar.  Humans reclaiming a warlock site could meddle in the dark arts, leading to all kinds of hidden fun.  Kobolds taking over a gnomish site could acquire a new totemic figure based on the machinery they find there.  I don't have a lot of good ideas.  It's just something to think about.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2015, 01:15:09 pm »

Idea: Since elves and gnomes are probably going to share druidism, I think they should have a key difference within that similarity that more or less demonstrates their separate philosophies. Elves could get a mid-game reaction to animals into seeds, plants, and logs by spending druid points; while gnomes get the opposite, transforming seeds, plants, and logs into living animals by spending their druid points. (I'm thinking the trades would be about equal value but cost about 50% extra to operate.)

It could scale up or down based on the "druidic value" of whatever is sacrificed, gnomes give a few seeds and get a rabbit, elves give up a cat and get a plant. Eventually scaling up to gnomes clear-cutting a forest to make a tame manticore and elves slaughtering a herd of boars to make a protective treant.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2015, 01:25:10 pm »

Idea: Since elves and gnomes are probably going to share druidism, I think they should have a key difference within that similarity that more or less demonstrates their separate philosophies. Elves could get a mid-game reaction to animals into seeds, plants, and logs by spending druid points; while gnomes get the opposite, transforming seeds, plants, and logs into living animals by spending their druid points. (I'm thinking the trades would be about equal value but cost about 50% extra to operate.)

It could scale up or down based on the "druidic value" of whatever is sacrificed, gnomes give a few seeds and get a rabbit, elves give up a cat and get a plant. Eventually scaling up to gnomes clear-cutting a forest to make a tame manticore and elves slaughtering a herd of boars to make a protective treant.

I'm pretty sure elves are quite friendly with animals.  They are AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE, after all.  The only time they're okay with killing animals is in self-defense, and my guess is that the only reason they consider killing trees unthinkable is because you can never use the 'it was self defense' excuse about a tree.

Gnomes would probably want to avoid killing trees as well, but machines need logs...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2015, 02:50:56 pm »

Oh, a question, Meph: Are you going to change the orientation of non-sapient creatures?  The way it is now, 1/4 of all animals are functionally infertile, due to (what I hope is) an oversight in the way breeding is calculated (only animals that would be willing to marry each other can breed at all, even if they're non-sapient and can't marry anyway).  Politics aside, this makes animal breeding programs annoying, since owning one male and one female isn't enough to guarantee babies.

You can fix this by adding the following creature variation to non-sapients:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or, alternatively, you can simply make all animals fully bisexual, which will have the same effect on breeding (and won't mess up for creatures with non-standard caste names):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Might be nice as an option, at least.

hoelk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »

Hey! I played Masterworks quite a bit and wanted to add my thoughts for the rewrite;

What I liked:
Increased FPS(!)
Extra races to trade with
Possibility to produce Colored Bricks for Megaprojects :)
All the "harder" stuff (and that you could switch it off) (All hail the carp god!)

What I didn't care for:
All the extra buildings and reactions that added complexity, without really adding depth. (to much micromangement)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2015, 03:03:07 pm »

Actually, best way to do this without stepping on toes, is probably to move all the "Will take lover, but not marry" values for animals and add them to the "Will marry" category. Animals can still be effectively infertile, but it hapens way less.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2015, 03:04:28 pm »

I didnt knew about the breeding issue, of course I'll fix that. The cross-species reactions you suggested to me before. I considered them as easter eggs, because they would be tons of work and wouldnt have much benefit. People play new races rarely enough, and cross-reclaims are even more rare.

Teotihuacan is actually the city of giants if I remember correctly. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2015, 05:15:12 pm »

Another idea: A little while ago there was talk about implementing random deaths for a small percentage of fort populations. I think it would be most fitting in goblin forts, since they treat murder as a "personal matter" so it wouldn't be all that strange to have goblins found mysteriously murdered in a crowded room but no witnesses that saw the killer. Then the messages can seem like the witnesses and guardsgoblins are writing them off out of personal dislike to complete the simulation. "So-and-so found dead, repeatedly stabbed self in the back by accident."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:22:53 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2015, 05:25:24 pm »

I've been looking at the default DF raws and it seems that brewing would work with any material whereas milling would only work with the basic plant material. It would be possible to make a plant that needs to be milled before it can be brewed, for example, but not a plant that needs to be processed to a bag before it can be milled.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2015, 05:31:35 pm »

Another idea: A little while ago there was talk about implementing random deaths for a small percentage of fort populations. I think it would be most fitting in goblin forts, since they treat murder as a "personal matter" so it wouldn't be all that strange to have goblins found mysteriously murdered in a crowded room but no witnesses that saw the killer. Then the messages can seem like the witnesses and guardsgoblins are writing them off out of personal dislike to complete the simulation. "So-and-so found dead, repeatedly stabbed self in the back by accident."

I personally don't care much for random deaths if you can't interact with the system in any interesting way, e.g. they don't integrate with the existing justice/medicine/whatever interfaces.  Just my opinion though.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2015, 05:39:37 pm »

With the part about making Elf and Gnome Druidism distinct, I think a good thing that could make Gnome Druidism distinct would be them using their technology to augment animals they tamed, similar to how animals can be armored, but with more possibilities.  This would probably hurt your relationship with nature, and, to avoid having to make a bunch of versions of each creature, would be limited to what could be added with Syndromes.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2015, 06:18:14 pm »

With the part about making Elf and Gnome Druidism distinct, I think a good thing that could make Gnome Druidism distinct would be them using their technology to augment animals they tamed, similar to how animals can be armored, but with more possibilities.  This would probably hurt your relationship with nature, and, to avoid having to make a bunch of versions of each creature, would be limited to what could be added with Syndromes.

Yes, this is the point of their 'adjustable armor' and the 'turret armor'.  It doesn't hurt your relationship with nature, as long as the animals using them don't die.  Elves probably shouldn't be able to armor animals, which greatly lowers their effectiveness in combat...  Maybe they can use some kind of magic luck-boosting enchantment instead.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2015, 06:38:42 pm »

Its easier to make goblins tantrum more, but make all of them like fighting. No fighting, start tantrum spiral... spiral causes fighting, fighting improves mood, spiral stops after a few deaths.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27