Poll

Good or bad idea?

Very good.
good.
meh.
bad.
Very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27

Author Topic: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions  (Read 53144 times)

chilller6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2015, 10:16:33 pm »

Elf Idea: A new building, called something elvish idk lol, that when built near a bunch of trees, will turn them into treants/ents for a moderate price

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2015, 02:27:41 am »

If I could talk about Humans for a moment...

I would suggest redoing some of the Guild functions when remaking the Humans. A few of the guild wings are redundant and have almost no purpose, while a few others unlock such important functions that they either need to be built ASAP, or they never get built because it's just more convenient to get the product from a caravan. While I understand (and kinda like) that Humans start off weak and limited and unlock their technology through buying power, I would appreciate if they had a few additional buildings available as a baseline, or available earlier in the guild 'tech tree'.

• Currently the Humans have no access to any non-Bronze/Steel alloys, whatsoever, without going all the way through the Smith tree or requesting from and then buying out Caravans time and again. Not even cheap, common alloys like Pewters or Brass. Could some alloys be moved to the Crucible? At the very least, could we move Bismuth Bronze there since it's a weapon/armorgrade metal?
  • The Academics guild focuses on lategame things, such as guns, megabeasts, and so forth. Which makes it odd that the production of such a simple and critical resource as Soap is gated behind a 4000 coin fee. Considering most players are likely to just buy Soap from caravans anyway, can we have Soap production moved to a baseline building?
  • Aside from the Silkmoth farm at the very end of the tree, the Tailor's Guild seems to offer no value whatsoever to even the most devoted of Textile Barons except doubling the xp rate of your textile workers, and the odd spot of convenience in the production of cloth items. It really is not worth the gold and pretty much the entire thing could stand to be remade from scratch.
  • The Booze Burner has always been kind of a weak reward for perusing the Cook's guild considering how easy it is to make fuel in MDF, except in climates with absolutely no trees. With multi-tile trees and the absurd abundance of wood available in 0.40.xx, the Booze Burner falls to near uselessness if there are any trees at all. It could be replaced with something else, but at the moment I'm not sure what. Considering the guild is supposed to "skyrocket the value of your meals," Maybe a practice kitchen that rapidly trains would-be chefs at low cost?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:29:19 am by Loyal »

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2015, 05:51:39 am »

Accelerated DF is the simpler, faster DF. Masterwork is something else :P
well, i see. didnt know about ADF...
i always chose (back in 0.34) MWdf over everything else, because of its vast options, and fast performance.
no more suggestions from my side, you did a great job with 0.34, and i dont wanna spoil my gameplay, exploring MWdf (without a plan) is always fun.
cheers

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2015, 08:47:46 am »

Plus, cutting old-growth is often the most environmentally friendly thing one can do for a forest, as it frees up more sunlight and water for smaller plants and the increased bio-diversity results in a much healthier soil chemistry that carries forward into the rest of the foodchain.

Problem here is that DF Elves view chopping down a tree as equivalent to murder, so they'd view this suggestion the same as people would view the suggestion to kill off some "undesirables" for the good of society.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2015, 05:38:09 pm »

While it would be great for someone to figure out how to manipulate tree growth through dfhack and produce items directly from trees, it turns out that it's not as easy as it might seem.  I won't get into the technical details, but in a nutshell LUA scripts can't read or write the material of a particular tile, tree or otherwise (shape yes, material no).  So unless someone who knows how to code in one of the other languages dfhack uses gets in on writing a tree-shaping code, we'll probably be stuck using the tools DF has available by default.

I think the best way for elves to create items is to grow them directly from seeds.  Basically, each elven-created item would actually be an individual, living tree, shaped into a particular form.  And, kept alive by magic, I guess?  Or maybe not.  As far as we know, elves have no problem with letting grown items be destroyed.  If they did, they'd never sell them to dwarves...

It is worth noting that plant growths can be pretty much anything.  I actually modded a money tree that grows gold coins.  So, it should be possible to produce a seed that grows a plant that, when harvested, can be processed into a particular kind of item.  However, adventurers will always be able to pick an infinite amount of any item growing on a plant, so it's best not to make natural plants that grow anything too valuable.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2015, 05:50:33 pm »

I really don't see why Lua specifically would have a problem with that.

Also, it's Lua, not LUA.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2015, 06:18:06 pm »

I asked about reading and writing tile material data a while back and the answer was something like 'manipulating tiles through Lua would be too slow, so dfhack wasn't given the capability'.  I'm not sure if that's actually a good answer, but it's what I was told.

I was able to make tiles that were branches, trunks, etc., but they wouldn't be an actual 'part' of any real tree, so they wouldn't grow fruit, or fall when the tree was cut, or...anything really, they were just kind of floating there.  Also, they wouldn't take a material.  There's a field called 'treedata' in plant objects that presumably contains...tree data, but printing it out didn't show anything.  I spoke to some of the experts about it and they basically told me 'yeah, Lua can't do that'.

It might be possible with some of the other languages used to code in dfhack, though.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2015, 06:24:50 pm »

No, that's a good answer, and yeah, it makes sense. Tiles are finicky.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2015, 09:55:20 pm »

Removed due to insolence

EDIT less insolent post: Is it possible to spawn a sapling that can eventually grow into a real tree?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:02:15 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2015, 10:41:21 pm »

i deeply doubt you could be more insolent than I am

and I don't really think so

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2015, 11:22:47 pm »

Plus, cutting old-growth is often the most environmentally friendly thing one can do for a forest, as it frees up more sunlight and water for smaller plants and the increased bio-diversity results in a much healthier soil chemistry that carries forward into the rest of the foodchain.

Problem here is that DF Elves view chopping down a tree as equivalent to murder, so they'd view this suggestion the same as people would view the suggestion to kill off some "undesirables" for the good of society.

I'd liken the situation more to The Trolley Problem than anything like eugenics; if you're being invaded and don't have enough building material to build an emergency wall to seal everyone safely underground for a while, the life of one tree might not outweigh the lives of every elf in the forest. Especially not if the invaders are anything like the orcs and likely to chop the whole forest for fuel anyway.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2015, 11:48:11 pm »

Anyways after coming back from an attempt at building a tree fort and I learned many things. It is possible to build floors next to branches and your dwarf will walk through the tree on the the branches to build the floor. Assuming there's a staircase that is level to the tree that is connected to one branch at least diagonally. If a building next to a branch is deconstructed it is possible that the building material will be stored on the branch.

There were a few problems I encountered  while trying to build the tree fort. The first problem was that you had to designate a single tile, wait for that tile to be built and then designate another one, it was very tedious and filled with micromanagement. Another problem was that if you built anything on a tree tile the whole tree would disappear.

What I consider the biggest problem is twigs. It isn't possible to remove them and building on them makes the tree disappear. To make matters even worse the twigs are almost always in the way of the branches so usually you won't be able to build a floor next to the branch which throws a wrench in most tree fort building plans.

I think the best thing we could do would be to modify the TWIGS_ tokens and set them all to zero, this will prevent twigs from growing and therefore from interfering, you'd probably have to slightly modify the tokens that relate to branches to make sure branches grow where twigs would have grown, or else the trees will look odd. We'd have to rely on the player not to build on the actual tree tiles but only around them.

In conclusion tree fort mode probably wouldn't be a good idea until the disappearing tree bug is fixed.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2015, 04:55:43 am »

There were a few problems I encountered  while trying to build the tree fort. The first problem was that you had to designate a single tile, wait for that tile to be built and then designate another one, it was very tedious and filled with micromanagement. Another problem was that if you built anything on a tree tile the whole tree would disappear.
/snip
Elves may be unplayable until bug 8719 and relations are fixed.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2015, 11:01:24 am »

Sounds like a pretty reasonable plan for the future of masterwork. As long as Not too much stuff is sacrificed for the sake of reducing bloat. It's definitely needed, but I'd hate to see masterwork lose the big edge it has over any other mod, and the vast amount of new ways you can play the game with it.  Sure, your never "done" with DF but diminishing returns do set in after doing the same stuff over and over, and masterwork really alleviated that with the absurd level of additional content versus vanilla.

Given that of course, I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Hopefully you keep the magic system and give it to the humans/keep it with the dwarves Meph, It's very well done.

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2015, 12:58:30 pm »

In my experience, rewriting software nearly always results in a better program. I know this is not entirely the same but most of the principles carry over. The only problem is that it can be a ton of work. If you think that this will be less work than attempting a port then the decision seems obvious.

I am a little sad that the drow are being taken out of consideration :c I really cant complain though. I am just glad that smakemupagus will keep the orcs in as that is what I play as the most by far. I will be interested to try all of these races once they are "reborn" though.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27