Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The FPS issue :(  (Read 2137 times)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The FPS issue :(
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 02:02:11 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you mean it doesn't work? I use REALTIME and it works just fine.

Henour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 10:30:00 am »

Great way to remove clutter is to use DfHacks Autodump.

Just mark items for dumping, use d-b-d if there's a lot of them, then type autodump and they will all teleport to your incinerator/atom smasher.
Alternatively typing autodump destroy will vaporise them on the spot.

I like to use this to clear out the acres and acres of rocks that are never going to be used.
At some point I started to have a few crafters churning out rockcrafts nonstop. That usually eats up quiet a big part of the random rocks lying around.

Does create a need for a lot of hauling rocks though which can be a problem on its own.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 01:43:04 pm »

Are you sure it's actually on realtime though when you change it in the init file? Checked in task manager? Mine stays on HIGH when I change it, and others have had the same thing.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 09:10:29 pm »

Are you sure it's actually on realtime though when you change it in the init file? Checked in task manager? Mine stays on HIGH when I change it, and others have had the same thing.
Hmm you are right, I just checked the task manager and it is on high. I thought you meant something different with "not working" so I didn't check the tast manager.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 12:14:39 am »

Great way to remove clutter is to use DfHacks Autodump.

Just mark items for dumping, use d-b-d if there's a lot of them, then type autodump and they will all teleport to your incinerator/atom smasher.
Alternatively typing autodump destroy will vaporise them on the spot.

I like to use this to clear out the acres and acres of rocks that are never going to be used.
At some point I started to have a few crafters churning out rockcrafts nonstop. That usually eats up quiet a big part of the random rocks lying around.

Does create a need for a lot of hauling rocks though which can be a problem on its own.
The problem with that plan is now I have a metric ton of crafts littering the fort instead, also after a couple of years I cease to need to crafts produced as there is hardly anything to trade for. Right now I'm offering gigantic profit margins on trades just to get rid of as many trade goods as I can.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 12:53:57 am »

The problem with that plan is now I have a metric ton of crafts littering the fort instead, also after a couple of years I cease to need to crafts produced as there is hardly anything to trade for. Right now I'm offering gigantic profit margins on trades just to get rid of as many trade goods as I can.

I've got huge amounts of crafts as well, mostly bone because I feel I need to get rid of the huge amount of bones my livestock industry produces. I usually just trade it all to the caravans, regardless of the deal I'm actually getting. I usually also just offer some, because why not.
Between old clothes, crafts, and prepared meals, every caravan generally leaves with one to four million dwarfbucks worth of exports. I only import maybe 1/10th of that (mostly metal items for melting), but who cares?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 02:21:00 am »

The big advice I have is a slight change in the way that you are thinking when dealing with low FPS's. Instead of working on a single project like you can when you are at 60+ FPS, instead think about working on multiple projects simultaneously. Instead of saying build this statue, plan out the statue, the dining room smoothing, and digging that new grand hall all at the same time. In most cases (on my computer at least) I've seen that the math of FPS * dwarves means that at higher populations/lower FPS's you actually end up with more dwarfpower to work with. Multitasking where you juggle three or so tasks at once can make lower FPS playable, since you still have just as much to do as you alternate between tasks. It's the only way I've ever been able to handle forts all of the way down into the 12 or so FPS range.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]