Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Un-fortification of natural stone walls  (Read 878 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Un-fortification of natural stone walls
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:52:19 pm »

Is it possible to make fortifications carved from natural stone walls back to something engrave-able? I have managed to misclick in designation and found a bit too late my baron's room is half way to being a fort instead of gallery.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Un-fortification of natural stone walls
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »

Sadly enough there isn't a way to do this yet, because constructed walls can not be engraved. However, if you're underground and there are no rooms surrounding his room, you can just remove the fortifications and engrave the walls behind it. It might also be possible to dig the fortifications away and engrave the floor, and then place wall-grates on top of them, but i don't know if wall grates are handled as walls.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:13:57 pm »

Is it possible to make fortifications carved from natural stone walls back to something engrave-able? I have managed to misclick in designation and found a bit too late my baron's room is half way to being a fort instead of gallery.

Well, if you're not a QUITTER1 you could flood his room with lava, then pour water over the top, then mine it out again.

(I think this is pretty obvious, but j/k)
()==[:::::::::::::>

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:21:26 pm »

Well, if you're not a QUITTER1 you could flood his room with lava, then pour water over the top, then mine it out again.

Oh lol I didn't even think about this. I guess i'm not dwarfy enough D:

If you're going to do this make sure the baron is inside his room when you flood it with magma.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:22:46 pm »

Sadly enough there isn't a way to do this yet, because constructed walls can not be engraved. However, if you're underground and there are no rooms surrounding his room, you can just remove the fortifications and engrave the walls behind it. It might also be possible to dig the fortifications away and engrave the floor, and then place wall-grates on top of them, but i don't know if wall grates are handled as walls.
Yes, it is underground, but there are already other rooms around so there are no close walls to "fall back". Hopefully, the room is already good enough for that baron. Interesting idea, with those grates.

I guess he stays with those fortifications between his bedroom and bedroom of his neighbour, a herbalist. I hope she doesn't mind too much either. Well, it may possibly lead even to some romance between those two...
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 04:32:54 pm »

Heh, that sounds like the the right DF way.

Hopefully Sadly no magma found yet, after three years of Diamondpath I got only few levels down yet. I am in war with elves the whole time and goblins should be just around the mountains though neither of those have showed themselves yet. I hope they appear soon because I am getting into too many idle dwarves ... it seems I moved those world settings to "lots of wealth/low harassment from neighbours" a bit too much, after all. But I will wait for them few more years and in the meantime try digging down. Hopefully caverns will have something decent to fight, I hope in some testing of newly made fortifications...
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 04:36:25 pm »

Oh lol I didn't even think about this. I guess i'm not dwarfy enough D:

If you're going to do this make sure the baron is inside his room when you flood it with magma.
Unfortunate accidents happen :D
(noted by jwoodward48df)