Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quarries and FPS  (Read 1303 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quarries and FPS
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:11:12 pm »

I have nothing to sell in my current fortress. Wood is scarce, clay requires charcoal which requires wood, bees wax takes too long to make and I don't have much else I can sell.

I've dug out most of what I needed to accomodate my dwarves and I was wondering if I can dig out big rooms for the stone to make crafts. Will it cause lag even if I block them up with walls afterwards?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quarries and FPS
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:21:44 pm »

Food costs nothing to produce, and you have to get rid of worn clothes somehow. Nowadays I don't have anything to sell when the first caravan comes along, but the next year I can offload lavish meals, and also usually have some totems made out of the skulls of slaughtered animals (I typically bring a fair number of birds, some sheep, cats, and dogs. DT allows me to discover the reproductive failures, which are then slaughtered).

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:24:49 pm »

I hadn't thought of euthanizing infertile animals but that's a great idea.

Yeah I know in two years or so I'll buy everything I need with nothing but tattered clothes but in the meantime I guess food will have to do. I'm really paranoid about food, drink and seeds though...

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 03:38:21 pm »

I pretty much always make my main export rock crafts. I don't think it really causes lag? Of course, I designate entire z-levels, and one z-level can last an early fort a really long time.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Headless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:37:08 pm »

Rock crafts and then bone and shell crafts.  I always have tonnes of stone cause I'm diggin' around looked for stuff.  If I have a river I can't help but end up with tonnes of shells.

If you have science on lag I would love to hear it. 

On a related note I had one master crafted porcelain jug (for the honey I can never seam to collect) in a bin of finnished goods worth 1200.  Just the jug.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:40:39 pm »

Make some rock mechanisms first.
You need them anyway for the traps, but even if you don't, they still sell a decent price.

As for your question, I doubt it.

I had whole levels mined out and I didn't notice fps dropped too much.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:43:20 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:53:19 pm »

Any revealed tile anywhere on the map causes some FPS drop, but it's not significant compared to other causes. Tiles your dwarves can path to will also cause FPS drops (which gets more noticable when you hit 50 dwarves or so), so it's advisable to wall off areas you aren't using, if possible. A quarry (assuming you mean a bit pit in the ground you just keep channeling out) is completely insignificant in terms of FPS cost since only the lowest level has any pathing consideration to your dwarves.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 10:41:22 pm »

That's good to know. I breached the cavern in the meantime and I'm doing pretty well with bone crafts.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 11:43:12 pm »

If you want to get the worn clothing faster, you can get your clothing industry running so your dwarves will drop their old ruined clothes and replace them with fresher stuff. Also if you're trying to get the most out of your resources, trap components, even those made from wood, sell for a lot, especially when they reach higher quality.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 07:53:14 am »

Always produce twice as much furniture as you need and sell anything below *quality*. It adds up.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:13:53 pm »

I have nothing to sell in my current fortress. Wood is scarce, clay requires charcoal which requires wood

If you have clay, you can collect and transfer clay boulders to trade depot, which requires zero micromanagement. :D
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 10:21:54 pm »

The problem with that is that common boulders have little value, high weight, and can't be binned. Not only will it take your dwarves forever to get basically nothing into the depot, but the caravan won't even be able to accept most of it before hitting its weight capacity.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 10:30:05 pm »

Yeah, I even tried gem cutting the clay, which now you are allowed to do for whatever reason, and it's still not worth it.

The cave creatures have supplied me with enough bones and totems for everything I wanted from the human caravan and now and I've seen the first xclothesx pop about so I think I'll be fine.

Headless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 10:32:44 pm »

Clay is awesome.  As long as it's fire clay.  The is an infinite supply of it.  If you can make porcelain you can get one jug worth 1200. It does cost wood though unless you have lava.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 11:13:38 pm »

Porcelain is made from kaolinite and it's very precious. Everytime I find it I just use it for fortress beautification
Pages: [1] 2