Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An artifact weapon... not so good as it seems?  (Read 2041 times)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An artifact weapon... not so good as it seems?
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:49:07 am »

So

My last artifact of note was a shield.  Yes, it wasn't worth many darfbucks, was made of cat leather and had an image of a pig-tail hood on it (another artifact) but hot damn, artifact shield!  It's proudly wielded by a spearmaster.

A child was taken by a mood.  I was expecting some kind of cute but useless artifact, but instead I got this:

Zakgollisid "Spitedclashes", a giant olm bone war hammer

It's decorated with gneiss, gold and blue jade, and has images of a forest titan, Kenis Forestdrum the Hairy Periwinkle of Rags ravaging the dwarves in the days of yores.  There is also an image of another artifact (a wood crown) and of a battle between elves and dwarves.

It's also worth over 90 000 dwarfbucks.

This is pretty epic... but is a *bone* hammer any good?  I mean in real life I wouldn't want to be smacked by a bone hammer (almost any hammer really) but we know that bone is lighter than metal and that in DF that makes a pretty significant difference, and I wonder if this has any sort of utility ... :/
hamster cheese supplies are low

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: An artifact weapon... not so good as it seems?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:12:02 am »

It may have trouble causing lethal blows due to its low desnity... And that's a good thing if you don't want your hammerer killing dorfs sentenced for a beating!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:51:01 am »

The thing is that all shields materials are equally effective as a defensive tool.  Wooden shields block dragonfire just as good as candy ones.  Other than quality level, you typically only care about a shields weight.  High weight means more lethal bashing (usually when the dorfs weapon gets stuck/lost/loses that arm, but can randomly happen), but low weight means less encumbrance.  Weakish dorfs without much stamina really need the weaker shields.  Then again, weak dorf's that tire easily don't need to be apart of your front line. 

A legendary shield user can already block dragonfire 99.5% of the time, so even with a higher block chance from being artifact quality.. is it really helping much?  I mean it is an ARTIFACT so you can give it to your champion/militia captain/king (only good use of nobles is in the army).  However, I doubt a leather shield will outperform a steel one with a highly skilled shield user.  Other than for the occasional shield bash, they probably work just as well.  I mean its not terrible... its just shields are weird and already a little overpowered.  It'd likely kick major ass in the hands of a new recruit without high shield skill though.

Now for the really bad news.  Your artifact bone hammer is effective worthless.  Oh your dorfs will "oooohhhh" and "aaahhhh" over it, but anyone relying on it in actual combat will die horribly.  See, artifact weapons only get a 50% higher to-hit modifer than masterwork weapons.  Blunt weapons also rely heavily on their weight which makes silver warhammers as deadly (if not more so) than candy axes (due to weight of silver).  This brings me to bone.  Bone is one of the lighter materials in DF.  See it doesn't matter how often that bone hammer hits- its only one step up from a featherwood nerf-bat.  Artifact status doesn't increase its weight, damage, or armor-piercing capabilities.  This is one of hte true problems of artifact weapons.  Since its only a smallish to-hit bonus and nothing else, you have to get a steel/candy (or silver/plat for blunt) weapon for it to mean anything... Even bronze artifact weapons wouldn't be good enough to use over steel or candy.

Now there are only two proper uses of that bone warhammer.  You can give it to your hammerer/captain of the guard.  He shouldn't be able to kill anyone with it on account of the light weight.  This is a good thing, as having one dorf kill another is a great cause of tantrum spirals (which lead to more beatings...).   The second is decorative.  You mentioned that the damned thing is expensive, so you can add it to a room's value.  Putting it into a weapon trap to display in your dining room or add it to your king/noble's room.  Either way the room value will skyrocket.  Passing dorf's will admire it and get a warm fuzzy feeling. 

Abadayos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:51:35 am »

For those crappy weapon artifacts, a dining room is an amazing place for it as it makes your dwarves have happy happy joy joy feelings seeing it.

I like to however add it in the middle of my 3x3 staircase going from the dinning level to the sleeping area or near where I breach the caverns/HFS as it will make your returning milita/conscripts happier even though not all of their members came home (did this with a candy warhammer as it was useless for anything else really, and it served as wonderful trap bait for the big guys :) )

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 07:07:04 pm »

Is there a way to see who's *wearing* a particular artifact (non weapon, non armor)?  I think someone around is wearing an artifact left shoe...
hamster cheese supplies are low

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 07:16:53 pm »

Yeah, I got an artifact bone spear once and tried to make my speardwarves use it, everyone who took it to battle died horribly. It became known as the suicide spear before the fortress was destroyed.

That said, if you want to give your champion a super fancy weapon and don't plan to send him/her to battle, an artifact bone hammer could still be useful...