Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Weapon balance mod, version 2 (for DF 0.40.01+)  (Read 12531 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon balance mod, version 2 (for DF 0.40.01+)
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2015, 09:24:26 pm »

self-targeted attack interactions still don't work...
Huh? I was able to make nightkin and nightstalkers go invisible when they entered combat. Was it broken during some patch or something?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2015, 01:54:54 am »

It never worked. It was always huge deal that it didn't work. Does it work now?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2015, 04:54:30 am »

As I mentioned in my old iterations of Fallout and Wasteland mods my nightstalkers "fade into surroundings" when they attack just fine.

I've yet to test it with 0.40.x.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2015, 06:30:00 am »

Grimlocke's mod got a bit dodgy when unarmed creatures fought armoured dwarves, with punches pulping hands through steel gauntlets. Its omission of unarmed combat makes it somewhat incomplete.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2015, 08:10:10 am »

Grimlocke's mod got a bit dodgy when unarmed creatures fought armoured dwarves, with punches pulping hands through steel gauntlets. Its omission of unarmed combat makes it somewhat incomplete.

This is default game behaviour. My gauntlets are about 11% thinner, setting it back to default values does not actually solve the problem. Grand master punchers are basically Dragonball Z characters.

I am trying to fix this, and for things like scracthing and biting it was easy enough by just altering the materials they use, but the punches and kicks use the bone material. Weakening that has all sorts of unforeseen consequences.

The best way to do this would still be just altering the creature attacks one way or another, but that involves changing every single creature entry in the game, as well as any modded ones that might be added. Not looking forward to that.

This really makes me wish the creature attacks used the creature variation system.

EDIT: Heheh, this works:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:48:36 am by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2015, 10:09:57 am »

What kind of "unforeseen consequences" are we speaking about? To my understanding, lowering the density of bone will not affect defense in any significant way, and offense changes are useful overall.
._.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2015, 12:17:14 pm »

What kind of "unforeseen consequences" are we speaking about? To my understanding, lowering the density of bone will not affect defense in any significant way, and offense changes are useful overall.

Tried reducing the density to 1, it still magics through armor and crushes hands and damages organs.

Adjusting the impact yield works to reduce damage somewhat, but you end up with 'bent bone'. Also adjusting the impact fracture just makes them as brittle as charcoal.

Also, this syndrome:

Does not work. the AI applies it to itself (though sometimes it fails for no apparent reason), I can see the syndrome in the creature description, but they still give into pain after one or two wounds.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:23:52 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2015, 01:00:07 pm »

Dwarves punching hard enough to break bone should happen, but only at high skill levels and not through armour unless the dwarf is wearing a gauntlet (apparently impossible to implement now). Punching with the hand in a gauntlet was part of armoured fighting, but punching armour with a bare fist should just hurt the puncher's fist (again, I know this is not now possible).

Dwarves become a bit too strong at legendary skill now, especially since training legendary dwarves is not very hard. I would like to see skill make them deadlier by using more sensible attacks, but I also know that the fighting AI is strictly off limits for us now.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2015, 04:19:17 pm »

Tried reducing the density to 1, it still magics through armor and crushes hands and damages organs.

Adjusting the impact yield works to reduce damage somewhat, but you end up with 'bent bone'. Also adjusting the impact fracture just makes them as brittle as charcoal.

Also, this syndrome:

Does not work. the AI applies it to itself (though sometimes it fails for no apparent reason), I can see the syndrome in the creature description, but they still give into pain after one or two wounds.

Then increase it by more, significantly more. Try 50000 or so. It'll work.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2015, 04:54:09 pm »

somehow i just lowered it to 200 and it worked

magic
._.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2015, 04:55:12 pm »

Increase the willpower value until you have the desired result. If it makes no difference at all, something is wrong.

That could be an overflow error of some sort (the number was too big and looped back to negatives), but I am not an expert on programming.

For old times' sake.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2015, 05:13:54 pm »

Also, this syndrome:

Then increase it by more, significantly more. Try 50000 or so. It'll work.

Huh, 2000:30000 worked. The wiki claimed 5000 to be about as high as this goes, guess that's not how it is then.

Anyhow, after generous use of a toad leather whip on a very unfortunate test subject, I obsidianized my lasher and watched the test subject crawl away and pass out right as the syndrome ran out.

Neat!

There is still a bit of an issue with the AI occasionally failing to actually get the syndrome after performing the interaction. Anyone have an idea what happens there? When I take control of the creature the interaction shows as having been used, but no sign of the syndrome.

Current raws below:

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2015, 05:15:37 pm »

Woah, what's the A creature supposed to be?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »

A is the creature using the interaction. Target B is just there to make sure an enemy is nearby, and because the ATTACK usage hint will let a creature target itself.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2015, 05:21:08 pm »

...ahehehe

i never thought of that
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8