Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I see which leaves are collectible?  (Read 1975 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I see which leaves are collectible?
« on: January 04, 2015, 08:52:28 am »

Hey guys,

so apparently leaves were introduced with the 2014 update. I like the addition but i don't get why some of them are collectible and others are not. There is no visual difference (Phoebus) between them, so I have to try them individually to find out which ones I can farm. Am I missing something here or is it intentionally random?

Thanks,
Afghani84

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: How do I see which leaves are collectible?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:52:59 am »

Just make a gathering zone around the trees you want to gather from, they'll pick up any fruits and leaves you can use...

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 12:30:47 pm »

No "tree" leaves are collectible.  The only tree "growths" you can harvest are the edible fruit/nut.  The leaves you ARE picking up are from shrubs (bitter vetch leaves, pendant amaranth leaves, red spinach leaves, etc). You can freely farm these however.  They are above ground crops and the pendant amaranth are even brewable.  So gather some pendant amaranth, queue up a brew job, and plant the seeds. 

Its not random, its just the part of the plant that is most edible for a few specific shrubs (they are green leafy vegetables, basically). 

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 01:07:25 pm »

I am not talking about trees. For example: it seems that muskmelons and eggplants cannot be collected while taro, rye and bitter melon leaves can be. Will I be able to pick up the other ones later on or are they just there for variety (without an actual use)?

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 05:05:27 pm »

In all fairness, eggplant is pretty gross so you wouldnt want to pick them anyways..
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:25:52 pm »

I am not talking about trees. For example: it seems that muskmelons and eggplants cannot be collected while taro, rye and bitter melon leaves can be. Will I be able to pick up the other ones later on or are they just there for variety (without an actual use)?
They might not be in season, some plants have to be gathered in fall (aka the harvest season) because that is when the fruit would be there, while other things can be collected year round...

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 09:14:57 pm »

They might not be in season, some plants have to be gathered in fall (aka the harvest season) because that is when the fruit would be there, while other things can be collected year round...

Summer actually.  Beans (although these are all bugged) and berries are gatherable in the summer. Otherwise, what he said- certain herbs are only gatherable in the right season.  You don't gather only the leaves, just hte edible part.  If the edible part is the leaf... sure you gather it.  If its the berry, then you have to wait till the berry is fruiting (summer). 

The pre 2014 plants don't follow this at all.  Fisher/prickle/sunberries will always be harvestable because the yhave not been updated to follow the "growths" system. 

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 06:11:28 pm »

It's best to put a large gathering area {i} {g} out there encompassing land with various examples of the fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, trees, berries etc. When the time comes for those to be "harvestable", the dorfs will just... know. And they'll deal with it. I tend to put a small storage stockpile for "furniture - large tools" in the middle of the gathering plot, so that they can leave the stepladders there. The occasional stepladder gets stolen by a monkey, but in general, it's a pretty good system. If the situation is rife, I surround the stockpile with cage/stonefall traps, and have lots of monkeys trapped to death or caged. And my dorfs don't have to travel far to get a stepladder for fruit picking.

In all fairness, eggplant is pretty gross so you wouldnt want to pick them anyways..

Personal preference isn't really the point here. I love eggplant (especially roasted with a little olive oil and salt) and you don't. There are dorfs out there with similar preference differences. One might love blackberries, another might not care for them, a third might only like them brewed.

I've had someone tell me that they don't allow the dorfs to cook any of the delicious offal that they generate from slaughtering animals, not even lambs kidneys or lights, or chicken livers, which we real life humans eat regularly. Seems odd that some people in the real world don't eat offal: they promote good health and are also very tasty (don't believe me? You probably shouldn't eat anything made of mince then. Ever. Yes, that includes hamburger mince, sausages, and pies & pasties).... Thus the comment in my signature about mule spleens. These same players who don't allow mule spleen roasts have their dorfs occasionally desperate for food or booze... Because they aren't utilising every part of the beast, as nature (and dorfs) intended. If you allow them to gather eggplants, then there might be more berries uneaten for you to make booze with. More booze with more variety = better morale = better game. Consider that.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:58:31 pm »

Well even just last century people's ancestors were gleefully eating hog's head cheese, making pies out of kidneys and blood, and otherwise chomping on offal... for the exact reason you mentioned.   When your choice is go hungry or eat offal, you eat offal with a smile.  If nothing else you can make mule eye roasts and sell them to caravan for $$$.  You can buy a whole pantry of food with a large roast that isn't even well cooked.

Another thought for the stepladder is put them in a stockpile just inside your fort.  Fruit pickers can snag a ladder on their way out the door. 

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 03:33:10 pm »

It's not just last century, people still do that.  For whatever reason, it seems to be more common in Europe (and, well, the rest of the world) than in america, but even here I can get very tasty blood and tongue sausage (more of a lunch meat than what you may think of as sausage), and ordinary chorizo (Mexican not spanish) is made mostly from pork lymph nodes and salivary glands.

Also, head cheese is super tasty.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 05:13:20 pm »

Yes, yes headcheese IS delicious. I didn't know that about chorizo: it does explain why it's a tasty breakfast food. I'm a big fan of steak and kidney pie. And lamb heart vindaloo is just as delicious as kangaroo or beef steak vindaloo. Plus cartilage and tendon, well boiled, is what makes soups so delicious, for example, pho noodle soup.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!