Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaim Issue  (Read 544 times)

monpolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Reclaim Issue
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:01:05 pm »

Good evening all! So I had a bit of FUN recently on a great embark. Had my fortress running smoothly, just about to get metal industry running when an undead siege hit. I had walls all around my entrance and overhanging fortifications finished except for 3 of the spots. So of course the undead managed to climb over my walls and finish their work.

Now whenever I try to reclaim this site, my dwarves get stuck on embark and won't move away from the wagon nor conduct any work. I try to deconstruct the wagon, dig, make stockpiles, nothing will get my dwarves to move. Saving and reloading, quitting the game and reloading, even a 2nd REembark, I'm stuck with the same problem.

Am I missing something obvious or is this a known bug? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this was a great site and a great fort.

*EDIT* And yes the game is unpaused. Wildlife and domesticated animals will move around but my dwarves won't.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaim Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:06:56 am »

All a bit farfetched:
- Any burrows active? I don't think they should carry over, but when all reasonable things have been checked, it's time to look at the unreasonable ones.
- Have you verified that they have the corresponding labors activated? I nowadays embark without any labors, although hauling is always active.
- Is autolabor screwing things up?
- Can the dorfs move physically (not being stuck on top of pillars and such?

- And, for the future: use drawbridges on the beginning and the end of the entrance tunnel so you can turtle. Also, I start with a small courtyard that I completely deck over (with a drawbridge), and then build a larger outer courtyard (that I later deck over, but I rely on the inner small one to keep my livestock safe). The inner courtyard should be large enough to host a trade depot and the animals, but not a lot larger than that (something like 8*8).

monpolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaim Issue
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 02:36:02 pm »

Yup it was burrows! Thank you very much. Not sure why it carried over but that fixed it because they were outside the burrow and refused to move from the wagon.

Also, I love your courtyard idea. I have been using bridges but only on the perimeter of my walls with overhanging fortifications. I should definitely use inner ones to seal off the fort in case of a breach.